Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Roasted Coffee Aroma Question
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Roasted Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Roasted Coffee Aroma Question

Growing up and into my 20s I never got into the 'coffee habit' or enjoyed/appreciated the flavor.  As I got older I began to enjoy the 'flavor/taste' of coffee-esque things (coffee ice cream, sweetened/milky coffee drinks).

A friend is coffee fan and in trying to educate me he brought be by a Peet's in the area a few years ago, so I started occasionally getting a latte there and beans to press pot at home.  I've tended towards using more grinds to get a stronger brew in the press pot as I like being able to taste a little 'coffee' through all the crap I end up putting in.

=)

Then I went by an Intelligensia a few months ago and thought I'd give their latte a try.

Wow.

No sugar or extra H&H needed and it was complex and wonderful!  The flavors of bitter, acid, sweet all seemed to dance around in interesting ways and allowed me to appreciate them.  I figured I'd spring for some beans and this is where my question comes in.

There is an exquisite scent to the beans in the Celebration Blend that (for lack of an informed term) I'd call fresh baked bread-like.  This has me over the moon and I want to fill my house with this scent.  I wonder if anyone can clarify which of the beans (Kenya, Ethiopia, Colombia) that might be coming from, as I want more!  

=)

I swung by another little coffee boutique in town and tried their latte and it was OK, but didn’t knock my socks off.  Smelling their beans also didn’t give me that delicious ‘bready’ scent so I’d really like to identify that component and seek it out.
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: Roasted Coffee Aroma Question

It's not just the beans, it is the freshness.

In any blend in a top tier shop, they will work each year to get something that 'fits' I guess is the best word. It might not taste the same as the last batch, but it works.

Intelli is nothing like Peets. Peets was a first, a ground breaker. But it is no longer what many of us look for in a coffee. The quality of the beans places like Intelli buy and the master-roasters who roast then are a distinct cut above the standards set by Peet's years ago.

Coffee's come a long way baby.

Go down there and just buy some. Tell then what you had and what you liked, they can guide you. If you're going to Silverlake, go in off peak times if you can. My personal preference for the 3 is Pasadena, just because I felt I had a touch more customer service every time I've been ther.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 9:15pm

I'm sure Intelligentsia would like to hear your compliments. Why not call them, maybe someone there will give you some insight.
Not sure you know this, but blends will occasionally change during the year, due to availability of the components of the blend, so if you like this blend, you might want to purchase 5#'s and freeze some.
Are you brewing this blend press pot style?
You can also try a manual pour-over like Chemex. Very simple, quick cleanup...much faster than press pot. A cleaner cup, less oils.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CheapBastid

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 9:30pm

I really like the mouth feel and the oils the press pot offers, and I can't seem to get behind the idea of running coffee through paper (as much as it is the darling of the 3rd wavers).

I tried asking a gal at the Pasadena location, and she seemed unclear on what components might be contributing to that aroma.  I'll try again.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 10:19pm

Here's a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion: pick up an $8 bottle of Le Nez du Cafe's aroma #34, roasted coffee, when it comes back in stock in Feb.!

Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)
CheapBastid

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 11:06pm

jbviau Said:

Here's a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion: pick up an $8 bottle of Le Nez du Cafe's aroma #34, roasted coffee, when it comes back in stock in Feb.!

Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)

Posted January 2, 2013 link

I'll take it!

Seriously, I've been looking for a good 'odorizer' scent for the car.  If I can have this magical smell on tap I'd be a HappyBastid.

Anyone in LA have a kit/set so I can find the specific one I'm looking for?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 6:10am

CheapBastid Said:

I really like the mouth feel and the oils the press pot offers...

Posted January 2, 2013 link

consider trying the Espro press.  it gives you the best of both worlds (the cleanness of paper filter, with the oils and flavor of presspot).  There is a great review on www.espressomyespresso.com  I bought the single serve one about a month ago and it's been the best non-espresso coffee I've ever had.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 8:04am

Mr. Bastid, sorry, no idea about LA smellers. But you could get the scent I mentioned on the cheap along with 5 others here (free shipping, too, with code C92247):

Click Here (www.cooking.com)

I bought one a month ago. #34 is described as "toasty, sulphury" and mostly (entirely?) consists of furfuryl mercaptan.

p.s. Nice animated .gif!
CheapBastid

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:20am

emradguy Said:

consider trying the Espro press.  it gives you the best of both worlds (the cleanness of paper filter, with the oils and flavor of presspot).  There is a great review on www.espressomyespresso.com  I bought the single serve one about a month ago and it's been the best non-espresso coffee I've ever had.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

I saw the Espro Press, but I was more interested in the Tirra from a functional standpoint.  Sadly it looks like I can't buy one anymore.

=(
CheapBastid

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:21am

jbviau Said:

Mr. Bastid, sorry, no idea about LA smellers. But you could get the scent I mentioned on the cheap along with 5 others here (free shipping, too, with code C92247):

Click Here (www.cooking.com)

I bought one a month ago. #34 is described as "toasty, sulphury" and mostly (entirely?) consists of furfuryl mercaptan.

p.s. Nice animated .gif!

Posted January 3, 2013 link

Sold!

Great price, and thanks!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Roasted Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305233955383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+