Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Just getting started
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Just getting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
derekdehaan116

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 2:25pm
Subject: Just getting started

So, i am pretty new to this whole home brew stuff, but fortunately have had some exposure through friends.

I was look into getting a Hario mini mill for my grinder and a Bodum chambord 12oz. for brew method.

Im really only making coffee for myself most of the time.

Im a poor college student so i do not have a lot as far as funds go.

Was hoping i could get some feed back, thoughts, or ideas.

Thanks in advanced,

Derek
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 2:59pm
Subject: Re: Just getting started

Hi Derek,

Welcome to CG!

There are better options than the Bodum presses.

This one... http://tinyurl.com/alt2kud ...is a bit more expensive, but the review of it on www.espressomyespresso.com is very convincing.

The Aerobie Aeropress is another good option and it too is only about $25.  It's also all plastic and extremely portable.
Check it out here: Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

These are just a couple of options worth looking at.

Good luck!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 9:09am

I would definitely recommend a clever dripper or an aeropress. I would go for a Hario Skerton paired with one of those two brewers if I were you. The aeropress is great and you can always add on reusable filters over time. I use my aero everywhere and love the single cups it makes.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:33pm

I prefer my Skerton to my mini mill (mini mill fits better in suitcase if I'm flying, hence why I own one). On the other hand I like french pressed coffee 100x better than Aeropress (and yes I've had it made by someone who really knows how to use it.)

French press is easy, but leaves you with a strong, hearty cup of coffee. Pour over, whatever method you use, is generally lighter (maybe not the right word for it, but the best I can come up with.)

I don't know what might be in your area to go and test things out, different ways to prepare. You might look in the regional forums and see if there are places that actually make coffee in different ways that you can compare the same coffee in, for instance, a french press or pour over. It could help you decide which works better for you.

Good luck on your journey.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JamesInTaiwan

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Flying Eagle...
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Whirley Pop
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 10:01pm

Derek,

The Hario Mini Mill is awesome and durable, unlike the Skerton, which is made of glass. You can throw it in the backpack or suitcase in a pinch for camping or traveling on weekends. I use mine at work, until my grinder died and it has been pressed into service for my espresso machine. Yes, it's that good. Not perfect, and it's only a stopgap, but it does ok!

I've never really developed an appreciation for French Presses. Messy, cleanup is a hassle, and I always seem to get grounds in my coffee. I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I'm not really interested.

+1 on the Aeropress. I have an Aeropress that is grand - Quick, easy, cleans up in a snap, and can provide a smooth flavorful cup. I use mine at work, or used to until my mini mill moved back home.

You'll need a hot water kettle, too.

On your budget and especially if you're in the dorm, I'd recommend the above.

Aloha,

James
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:42am
Subject: .

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:55am

Netphilosopher Said:

-STEEP BREWING: The AeroPress isn't recommended or designed for inverted use, but that is the only way to achieve longer steep times.  The CCD is designed as a steep and release brewer.

Posted November 26, 2012 link

You are 100% correct. That said however, there are a lot of us that invert brew in the Aeropress anyway, it isn't hard to do and it is pretty widely done.

I always brew concentrated with the Aeropress, when I heat the water in the electric kettle, I just heat more than need to press the coffee. By the time the coffee is brewed in the press, the water in the kettle has cooled a little and I just add it to the concentrate. I brew into my 16 oz mug on a regular basis. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Just getting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236702203751)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+