Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Which Coffee Machine to buy
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Which Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 10:35am
Subject: Re: Which Coffee Machine to buy

EricBNC Said:

I missed what happened to cause him to change his screen name (seems like a protest stance against something that happened)

Posted November 23, 2012 link

Warning  the remainder of this post is off topic.

Hello, Eric.  Childishly, I allowed myself to get a bit piqued by some of the noise that takes place on here.  Initially wanted to remove my profile - then found you couldn't, and anyway if you did, your posts would almost certainly remain without you having any opportunity to respond to the types of allegations that seem to be more and more common.  What I did find - and the site owners/managers may or may not know this - is that you can change your profile name, and that change will populate throughout the forum and posts - even those quoted by others.  Sometimes a data model will permit this, in other cases it's prohibited, but on coffeegeek you can.

Initially decided, well having done that that am finished with coffeegeek, but then - inevitably - you feel obliged to post when you see some of things being said on here.  from there, it's a slippery slope ;o)

Anyway, in the global scheme of things, this forum has been informative up to a point, and occasionally amusing (perhaps unintentionally).  Dipping into it from time to time is a bit of a diversion, but no more than that.

Can't feel anything but a bit elated at the moment having just scored a brand new unused Cona Model "A" (hens teeth are common in comparison) for just over half the price I saw the last one go for.  Whoopie doo - now got the complete set of post 1950 Conas :o))))))

From a confirmed retrogeek.

Best.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:01am

cerridwyn Said:

I actually own an automatic, shock of shocks.

FWIW, no you don't.

cerridwyn Said:

I own a Jura Impressa F9

You own a super-automatic.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:05am

__________ Said:

And that advice was given.....where exactly ?

Edit...

On seconds thoughts ignore that question.  Just recalled some good advice about sometimes it being better not to argue ;o)

But you point at a super-auto, advising that it might be a wise purchase. So that is exactly where that advice is offered. So, I'm not ignoring the question, just pointing out that you did, in fact, advocate spreading mediocrity.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:28am

Oh, dear - did I say I wouldn't argue ?  Well perhaps this once despite good advice to the contrary.....

"Advising that it might be a wise purchase ?"  really ??  Definitely I did not. That is a complete invention by you.

You grossly misrepresent what I said.  Anyone who's interested (can't imagine many will be by now) can read my post rather than your invented version of it and come to their own conclusions.

A few extracts "they don't do a very good job"  "have a poor reputation for reliability"  "Have to perform quite mechanically complicated and precise processes....but have to be cheaply mass produced.  These 2 requirements don't fit well together"

I pointed out all the problems and issues others have reported with these these of machine. At no point did I advise buying one.

I'm sure the original poster will have been totally convinced from that, that these machines are the ideal way to make coffee, and he/she should rush out and get one at any price.

If you're bitter because you burned your fingers buying one and you didn't like it, that's your own issue.  Don't blame me.

(edited)
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 2:23am

Back the OP's post, it is better to consider buying a decently engineered drip coffee maker than aspiring to buy them a poorly thought out appliance.

For example, consider the Technivorm KBTS 741 Clubline Thermo. Not only is it within your budget, but I've heard very rave reviews about Technivorms. These coffee makers have won awards due to their engineering and design.

This is the gift that keeps on giving, because it is designed to last for decades with proper maintenance. Not just that it keeps making great coffee, but it looks good as well and will keep those looks.

I'm not even going to get into super-automatics because I don't know the state of the market in the UK and anything you'll look at will be outside of your budget anyway.

Good luck on your search.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Which Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263609886169)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+