Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coava Kone brewing techniques
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
aowens

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Hellem
Drip: Chemex, Kone
Roaster: Stumptown, Victrola
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 11:42am
Subject: Coava Kone brewing techniques

So I splurged on a Chemex setup with the Kone, Skerton, Buono, and scale. I'm looking if anyone has an ideal method for brewing. A lot of the guides I've seen on the Kone give different advice, so I was wondering if anyone has a method that's worked particularly well for them. So far, I've been going by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOnyhcnpISo

I've adjusted the grind on the Skerton to a "5" following this guide: Click Here (fourbarrel.tumblr.com) And have been dosing at 28g of coffee for 400g of water.

My steps are as follows:
  1. Off-boil water for 30 seconds
  2. Pre-heat the Kone
  3. Place grinds in the Kone and level
  4. Pour 100g of water straight down the center for 15 seconds
  5. Wait 45 seconds for bloom
  6. When my timer hits the 1 min mark, pour the additional 300g of water straight down the center
  7. Finish pour at the two minute mark and wait until brew is done.
  8. Final brew time is roughly 2:45.

This method produces a really solid cup using a variety of Stumptown beans, so I feel like I'm doing it right. But, if anyone has a method they've found works better, I'd love to hear it!
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 4:09pm
Subject: Re: Coava Kone brewing techniques

I do it fairly similar, except that I grind finer than you do. My grind is a good bit finer than manual drip. I also start the main pour after 45 second total...I don't wait till the one minute mark. Also, I keep my pour mainly in the center but I do pour in about a 1/2" circular manner. I aim for around 3 minutes and find this gives a more full bodied extraction than Coava's recommendation.
aowens

Grinder: Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Hellem
Drip: Chemex, Kone
Roaster: Stumptown, Victrola
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2012, 4:29pm

EvanOz85 Said:

I do it fairly similar, except that I grind finer than you do. My grind is a good bit finer than manual drip. I also start the main pour after 45 second total...I don't wait till the one minute mark. Also, I keep my pour mainly in the center but I do pour in about a 1/2" circular manner. I aim for around 3 minutes and find this gives a more full bodied extraction than Coava's recommendation.

Posted January 9, 2012 link

Do you complete the main pour at the 2min mark? And how much water do you use for the bloom?
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 8:37am

I try and finish the pour at 2:30. I use 100g of water as recommended.
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 2:31pm

I recently got the Kone, and while I am loving it I find it much more unforgiving to sloppy technique than other pour over methods. I am generally doing the same thing though; pour down the centre, no stirring or circles with the kettle. Like EvanOz85, I grind a fair bit finer than typical pour over. Perhaps just a bit coarser than moka pot grind.

One thing I've always wondered (and this relates to pour over in general, not just the Kone); what is the benefit of using such large quantities of water for the blooming stage? A lot of tutorial videos I've watched show significant volume washing through the grinds during bloom, and my mind tells me that would dilute the brew, no?  Generally I aim to have just a couple of drops come out, so that I know that the grinds are fully saturated but not so much that it would significantly dilute the final product. Generally about 1.5ml per gram of coffee works well. Is there some benefit to using more water that I'm not considering?

Brendan
iHaveFeet

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 3:03pm

By the way, there must be huge variation in the Skerton from one burr set to the next, because on the one I have 2-3 notches puts me well within espresso grind. I just ground a small sample at 3 notches, and the coffee readily caked between my fingers when I pressed it, complete with finger prints visible.

Not saying that the Skerton isn't a great grinder, but it would seem as though trying to communicate grind settings might be more difficult than you'd think.

Brendan
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 5:34pm

iHaveFeet Said:

One thing I've always wondered (and this relates to pour over in general, not just the Kone); what is the benefit of using such large quantities of water for the blooming stage?

Posted January 10, 2012 link

I have no clue, but it works and the Kone probably produces the best tasting cups out of my whole arsenal.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 7:35pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Posted January 9, 2012 link

+1 though I pour more loosely than 1/2."  2 inches, maybe?  Love the cup with the Gen 2 KONE.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
archi

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: In between
Grinder: Zassenhaus hand mill,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: CCD v60
Roaster: Bread machine/heat gun
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 9:13pm

I love the Kone. I had the pleasure of using one for a month or so. The friend I borrowed it from uses a skerton and I felt that it had way too many fines.

I use a very fine grind, though above espresso, and 4 minute pours and it comes out with huge body and plenty of oils :)

Something profound...
iHaveFeet

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 9:56pm

Agreed about the Skerton, Archi; I didn't really appreciate just how good a brewing device it can be until I got my Preciso this week. And, on that note, let me modify my previous statement. While good technique is certainly important with the Kone, what it is really unforgiving about is grind quality. :)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289827108383)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+