Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Buying coffee from a farmer(s) and exporting it overseas for resale
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Buying coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Halfrat

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 7:23am
Subject: Buying coffee from a farmer(s) and exporting it overseas for resale

Hi,
I am very much inexperienced when it comes to coffee. However I have learned a little from friends and the internet about the different kinds, and about the processes involved in producing it.

I'm planning a trip to South and Central America at the start of next year and I would like to buy perhaps a few kg's of coffee directly from growers, and either, send it back to the UK, where I will return almost a year later to roast, grind, package and sell it, or send to New Zealand where I will be much sooner to do the same. I've read a little about the potential longevity of green beans if stored correctly / frozen, but not sure exactly which would be best.

Obviously it would be ideal to make some of money from doing this, but really I'd be doing it more for the experience. I like coffee very much, and drink it everyday, but this is more about business, and a learning experience in international trade; all be it on a very small scale.

Basically I want the coffee community (you), to poke holes in my plan. Probably not hard, admittedly. I need to know if this is a ludicrous idea before I spend too much more time looking into it.

I hope you can help. Many thanks,

Gareth
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Buying coffee from a farmer(s) and exporting it overseas for resale

Depends on the plantation/farm/finca and the farmer/owner, of course, but generally speaking, green coffee is sold is much larger lots than "a few kg". The average 'bag' of coffee is around 60kg, and usually coffee brokers are buying coffee bags by the shipping container load. You might be able to find a farmer who'll sell you a bag, but you'll have to set up the export permits yourself, most likely, and a single bag won't be at a huge savings.

In smaller quantities, I have no idea.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Buying coffee from a farmer(s) and exporting it overseas for resale

Do you presently roast your own beans in Scotland?

How much experience do you have in roasting coffee beans?

Why on earth do you want to do this?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Halfrat

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 9:51am

Perhaps if a farmer sells his 6000kg harvest for $2 per kg, then I could take one 60kg bag for $5 per kg. Any idea how difficult the export permit is to get? Is it a crime to send small amounts without one?

As for roasting, I've never done it before, but I undersatand it is something you can learn and do at home.

I reckon if I could break even on 1 sack and no experience, then I could turn a profit on 5 - 10 sacks at the second atempt.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:07am

So, basically...you're looking to start a business about which your fund of knowledge is zero?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:13am

emradguy Said:

So, basically...you're looking to start a business about which your fund of knowledge is zero?

Posted October 29, 2012 link

Perhaps he could look here?

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:17am

LMAO!

Halfrat

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 8:19am

emradguy Said:

Posted October 29, 2012 link

Pretty much. Not planning to stake much though, so probably won't end up bankrupt.

Sometimes you've just got to give things a crack. Sabes?

How hard can it be taking a speciality product from the jungle to the western shelf anyway?  ;-)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 9:41am

Halfrat Said:

Pretty much. Not planning to stake much though, so probably won't end up bankrupt.

Posted October 31, 2012 link

That's a very good plan!

Halfrat Said:

Sometimes you've just got to give things a crack. Sabes?

Sure.

Halfrat Said:

How hard can it be taking a speciality product from the jungle to the western shelf anyway?  ;-)

Go read all the thousands of posts in the roasting forum.  That's the part that'll make or break you in your little business adventure (assuming you know how to run a business).  Bean roasting is a science...where seconds matter.  Maybe you should buy some green beans from one of the many online sources and try roasting at home, just to get an idea what it involves?  Of course, this would assume you want to sell a good product rather than just "feed the masses".

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:45am

Halfrat Said:

How hard can it be taking a speciality product from the jungle to the western shelf anyway?

a) not all that easy; b) to do it RIGHT, very difficult.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Buying coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333608865738)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+