Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
A question for the pros- French Press service in a restuarant
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > A question for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
lucien2

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 7:48am
Subject: A question for the pros- French Press service in a restuarant

Greetings-

We are trying to elevate the quality of our coffee program by working with a local roaster. He's given us a lot of great feedback, and among all the advice is that we ditch our old nasty Bunn brewer and provide FP service table side. This would involve purchasing a water filter and the presses obviously. I think the owner of our establishment is provisionally on board, but has a couple of concerns I, as a novice, am unable to answer. I'm hoping some of you can, and help me convince him to take the plunge(r).

If you are going to go with one size press, is it better to use the smaller 2 serving presses or the larger ones? Some have said the larger ones are easier to sell to a 2-top for sharing, but the owner is concerned it could eat into margin if a lot of solo diners order it.

His second concern is that the fuss over the presses will slow service down if the dining room gets really slammed. I suspect it's "ok" to pre-grind a few presses before service as emergency back up, but I don't know if that is accepted practice or if we are over-thinking this.

Lastly, he is concerned about attrition- servers aren't the most careful beings at times, and there is a worry that we will be replacing the relatively expensive presses at a rate quick enough to seriously ding the profitability of the program.

So there it is, a coffee novice trying to re-invent a restaurant coffee program. Any tips from experienced pros would be most sincerely appreciated. :) I want to take better coffee to the people.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:13am
Subject: Re: A question for the pros- French Press service in a restuarant

More power to you! Since you're local, you might swing over to Woodberry Kitchen and check out how they're doing it. They offer two press sizes, I believe--seems like a good idea. I'd say you should try not to pre-grind if you can swing it for freshness reasons; grinding doesn't take much time anyway. Instead, you could portion out your whole-bean coffee doses in little airtight jars to shave a few seconds from the prep. process.
lucien2

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:16am

That's a good idea about the beans, thanks. I've been in touch with Woodberry, although the head barista rolled out for a new path in Brooklyn, and I don't want to bother her in the midst of that transition. I agree that using both sizes is best, but Woodberry factored a focused coffee program into the build out; we'd be shoe-horning it in to a small space, so unfortunately I think we need to pick one size.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:18am

You might also consider the Bunn FPG, or one of the other timed portion control grinders designed for press. Once the timer is dialed in for your preferred dose, it's quick and easy.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 7:51pm

Lucien, I kind of doubt Allie would mind being contacted, but who knows. ;)

Anyway, about durability, you might look into the stainless steel presses; Bodum, Frieling, and Espro all come to mind.

Here's another thought: consider using Eva Solos instead (no "pressing" needed). The people at LAMILL seem to find this option workable. A 1.0-L Eva could probably be used for smaller or larger brews. Plus, these things have always seemed to me to have a sort of wine-friendly vibe due to the carafe and aerator-esque filter assembly.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 7:35am

Just as an aside, if your Bunn is nasty, I advise cleaning it.

There is nothing wrong with drip coffee, when done properly, it is a very nice cup indeed.

If you WANT to do FP at table side, great, there is nothing wrong with that either. Keep your water at 195 to 205 f or just off a boil. The rapid cooling of water will mandate that you have some way to heat the water at table side as if you heat the water in the prep area then take it to the table for service, it will have cooled below optimum temp for brewing.

Freshly ground, properly ground, fresh coffee is a delight regardless of the brew method. OLD stale coffee, long ago ground coffee is nasty regardless of the brewing method.

I have several drip brewers from Bunn and others that make outstanding coffee, it isn't the method of brewing that makes a great cup, rather it is the entire brewing process done properly that makes a drink worth returning to a restaurant for.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 10:32am

calblacksmith Said:

Just as an aside, if your Bunn is nasty, I advise cleaning it.  There is nothing wrong with drip coffee, when done properly, it is a very nice cup indeed.

Posted October 22, 2012 link

Agreed, but . . .

calblacksmith Said:

If you WANT to do FP at table side, great, there is nothing wrong with that either. Keep your water at 195 to 205 f or just off a boil. The rapid cooling of water will mandate that you have some way to heat the water at table side as if you heat the water in the prep area then take it to the table for service, it will have cooled below optimum temp for brewing.

Posted October 22, 2012 link

I would do this slightly different . . .

I agree with the statement above that you can portion out the beans and put them into separate, air-tight containers in advance, and then grind just the amount you need on demand.  If you are indeed stuck with only one size, get the three-cup size for individual service.  That way, you give everyone just the exact type of coffee they order.  I would, however, grind and pour the water "backstage" (so to speak) and serve the empty cup with the press still in "brewing mode," if you will.  then, you can press at the table and pour.  That eliminates the need to heat the water at the table, and keeps everything flowing smoothly (so to speak) . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 2:18pm

Jason
I agree 100%, "backstage brewing" would be the best way to offer press pot service.
I was just staying with the stated goal of doing the whole thing at the table idea. Your way would be the cleanest and easiest. I don't know how much the customer would be impressed by the actual pouring of the water anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lucien2

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 3:22pm

what happens when one diner wants reg and one decaf? I know I sound silly, but I'm trying to avoid 2 sizes. Ceremony, the roaster we are talking to, thinks FP really is the best option for us. And I get it, it cuts down on waste and delivers a great up of coffee.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 3:31pm

That's why I suggested you get only the small, 3-cup size.  Then you can bring each diner their own separate press, whether it's two regulars, two decafs, or one of each.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > A question for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267330169678)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+