Coffee: Questions and Answers
Vac Pot Filters, which to use
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vac Pot Filters,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
seanw86

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 4:09pm
Subject: Vac Pot Filters, which to use

I bought a vac pot a little over a month ago, and I love it. This morning my roommate dropped and broke the ceramic plug for the cotton wick for the alcohol burner and so I went online to buy a replacement for it. After finding the piece, I saw in the "related items" section a metal mesh filter system to replace the cotton cloth filters. This has been my only complaint about the vac pot. No matter how well I try to wash out the filter, after the very first use, I get coffee stained water forced up into the upper chamber. I was curious if the mesh filters were any different. It seems to me like they would allow for a more thorough cleaning. Also, I am wondering if there would be a taste difference in the coffee being passed through a metal screen as opposed to a cloth one. I know with pour over makers, the filter can make quite a difference.

I figured since I am ordering the ceramic plug and wick replacement, I might as well either buy more cloth filters, or switch to the metal screen system. Just wonder which I should go for
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 4:01am
Subject: Re: Vac Pot Filters, which to use

Haven't ever used a metal mesh filter, but I know what you mean about the cloth ones.

Alternatives are to get the type that uses disposable paper filters - similar to the cloth type filter - Hario make them -  like this one

Click Here (www.hasbean.co.uk)

probably also available where you live.

or, a glass rod filter, but make sure it is suitable for the Vac pot that you have  (ask around on here).  Easiest to clean of all. Most fit OK in most pots, but that's not guaranteed.  Some people don't get on with them though, and you do need a grinder that doesn't create too much dust.  I use them almost all the time except with the Bodum Pebo which has an excellent plastic filter.

Further alternative - try making your own cloth filters !
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 22, 2012, 7:29am
Subject: Re: Vac Pot Filters, which to use

I have never been fond of the cloth filter so I have the Corry glass rod filter. I like the ones that have a spring attached  to them so you can clip it to the bottom of the draw tube, the tube the water goes up into the top globe through. The spring prevents the rod from being dislodged in the brewing process and I have a very clean cup from them AND I never need to fuss with a cloth filter. They don't cost much on the Ebay market and they are easy to find.
YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vac Pot Filters,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.179922819138)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+