Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Im a Designer and would like to understand what you love and why you love coffee
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Im a Designer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
shirty123

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 5:13am
Subject: Im a Designer and would like to understand what you love and why you love coffee

Hi, im new to the forum and relatively new to coffee 2-3years over these years I have slowly started to develop an appreciation and understanding of coffee, and have recently purchased a conical burr grinder for freshness!

Personally I use the Cafetiere as I like the practicalities of it, speed, taste and the interaction

I was wondering what do you love about coffee and the products that produce it?

Obviously the flavour is a key element but is there anything else?

Do you like using your device, is it an important experience? / do you get any emotions from operating it?

Why do you use a grinder?

What is the key to a good cup?

And what do you get annoyed with / wish you could improve on your device - cleaning? experience? design styling?

Any input or feedback would be hugely appreciated and you never know it may benefit you in the future :)

Thanks!
Liam
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:31am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer ........

Hi and welcome to the board.
It sounds like you are doing research for a project you are doing, good luck
We use a grinder because coffee is a product that can and does oxidize. Think of cutting open an apple. After about 15 minutes or so the surface of the fruit develops a brown and oxidized surface. This seriously affects the flavor of the fruit. Now cut that apple into 200 pieces and you will see the volume of oxidation expands vastly over the volume of fruit.

The same thing happens with coffee only it is brown so you can't see the process happening. Older than about 15 to 20 minutes after being ground, coffee has lost a vast amount of the flavor it had to start with and is well down the road to nasty taste. You MUST have fresh ground coffee, there is no way to preserve the coffee once you grind it as the clock is ticking.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:43am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer and would like to understand . . . . (Oysh!)

(OK, I'll bite . . . though don't ask me why.)

shirty123 Said:

Im a Designer and would like to understand what you love and why you love coffee

Posted October 17, 2012 link

Not sure what being a designer has to do with it . . . what kind of designer? Interior? Graphic? Industrial?

shirty123 Said:

Hi, im new to the forum and relatively new to coffee 2-3years over these years I have slowly started to develop an appreciation and understanding of coffee, and have recently purchased a conical burr grinder for freshness!

Welcome to CG.  Having a grinder is an important first step.  

shirty123 Said:

Personally I use the Cafetiere as I like the practicalities of it, speed, taste and the interaction

Since "La Cafetière" is a brand name, I presume you mean you're using a press (as in "French Press").

shirty123 Said:

I was wondering what do you love about coffee and the products that produce it?  Obviously the flavour is a key element but is there anything else?

Uh, yes -- taste has a good deal to do with it.  But why do people love wine? whisky? beer?  Why do some people really "get into it," while others could care less or not even notice?

shirty123 Said:

Do you like using your device?

As Monty Python used to say, "That's a rather personal question, isn't it?"

shirty123 Said:

is it an important experience?

Without my espresso machine, I would be unable to make espresso.  Without my Chemex, I could not brew a pot of coffee.  Without my press, I could not make French press coffee.  Without my Clever Coffee Dripper . . . and so on.  Ergo, these are not only important in and of itself, but also important parts of preparing specific beverages for my family and friends.

shirty123 Said:

do you get any emotions from operating it?

Yes, I want to have its children.  (What is this, an MMPI?)

shirty123 Said:

Well, why do you?  

shirty123 Said:

Flavor.  Or, as a designer, are you less concerned with taste, and more concerned with the material of the cup itself, glass, porcelain, stainless steeel, etc.?

shirty123 Said:

And what do you get annoyed with?

You mean, besides threads like this one?

shirty123 Said:

. . . wish you could improve on your device - cleaning? experience? design styling?

I have little desire to "improve" upon perfection.  Rather, I'd change the layout of my kitchen, but not my "device."  Then again, a "device" is what the American military calls a nuclear bomb, so -- truly -- I don't have a device.  I have an Elektra "Sixties" T1.

shirty123 Said:

Any input or feedback would be hugely appreciated and you never know it may benefit you in the future :)

Liam, I have no doubt that you are attempting to learn something with the ultimate goal of designing a "new and improved" ______________.  We are not your ideal focus group, and while I have no doubt that you have noble goals and lofty ambitions, why don't you try being a part of the community, rather than posting questionnaires with the ideal of "making a bundle," as we Yanks would say.

Good luck to you.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
shirty123

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:57am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer and would like to understand . . . . (Oysh!)

Im an Industrial Designer and therefore concentrate on making a better user experience, design and overall product, this may not be possible and my design will 100% be an alternative to existing products that users may choose to adopt, im not trying to re-design the wheel as it already works, im just trying to make it better for some users..

Althought I value any response I cant help that think you have replied mealy to vent your dislike for "amateur" questions, I started here as the community and users of these products obviously know best and therefore are the obvious place to start when looking for opinions, thoughts and suggestions.

Not sure what being a designer has to do with it . . . what kind of designer? Interior? Graphic? Industrial?

Im a Designer looking to design a new product, hence the question therefore it has a lot to do with it

I was wondering what do you love about coffee and the products that produce it?  Obviously the flavour is a key element but is there anything else?

Uh, yes -- taste has a good deal to do with it.  But why do people love wine? whisky? beer?  Why do some people really "get into it," while others could care less or not even notice?

Im looking into the process the ritual of making coffee, is it the tactile feedback you get when you push down the plunger or hand grind, is it the smell you get as soon as you add the water to the grounds etc..dont think too literal  

I was only looking for advice if you just want to critisize or dont understand the questions then please dont reply..

Thanks calblacksmith for your helpful response
Liam
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 7:04am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer and would like to understand [...]

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

shirty123 Said:

It's a legal drug, and I love the taste of great espresso.

shirty123 Said:

It helps to keep me awake.

shirty123 Said:

Do you like using your device, is it an important experience? / do you get any emotions from operating it?

Brewing espresso is a Zen like ritual that lifts my sprit into a higher level... No, but seriously, if I didn't enjoy it, I probably wouldn't do it. And like a good golf swing, when everything falls into place the result is just pleasing.

shirty123 Said:

Chewing coffee beans is simply not much fun. Besides, for all the reasons Wayne pointed out.

shirty123 Said:

Why, is it locked? Do you mean the jar or the contents?

shirty123 Said:

What do you get annoyed with / wish you could improve on your device - cleaning? experience? design styling?

I'd like to have more kitchen space for a commercial espresso machine and grinder, and that my wife agrees to buying these appliances. ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 8:38am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer..........

Liam,

Your welcome. We very often get someone dropping by to do market research for products. In nearly every instance, we are not the market they are shooting for. We push the edge of the envelope, we go through great pains to tweak our equipment to beyond what it was designed for in many instances. We use commercial gear in our homes because consumer grade equipment is just not up to the standards we seek. Many of us have several thousand dollars in grinders alone, espresso machines that were designed for coffee shops and we don't mind the fact that our kitchens are taken over by our gear. Plumb in equipment is often preferred to pour over when the hook ups are available to up the ease of use factor.

In short, we are not the market that you will sell half a million units to, we are not satisfied with average quality, we very often are asked these same questions as you posed. This tends to produce a feeling of being used, if you seek our view, you are better served to become a contrubuting member of the board, engage us in dialog without an market research bent. We are an open and helpful community but often like I said, if we get the feeling of being used for market research, we feel, ..... well used, so if sometimes we get a little short in our answers, please understand.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 8:42am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer and would like to understand what you love and why you lov

shirty123 Said:

Taste, texture and effects

shirty123 Said:

Taste, texture and effects

shirty123 Said:

I would not have spent $2500 on the espresso machine alone if it were not important. I enjoy the precision and feel of quality tools of all types including my espresso machine.

shirty123 Said:

Controlling the way water acts on the coffee beans while limiting the effects of oxygen on the beans to Wayne's point which was very well explained btw.

shirty123 Said:

Taste, texture and temperature.

shirty123 Said:

And what do you get annoyed with / wish you could improve on your device - cleaning? experience? design styling?

The stainless steel finish on the internal surfaces on parts of the machine seem lacking.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 8:54am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer, etc.

I would suggest you design a Hello Kitty French Press and license the character from the Sanrio Corporation. It is, after all, a proven market.

Or, you could spend a few days actually reading some of the thousands of posts here that talk about exactly the things about which you're asking. That would entail you doing some actual work, though, rather than expecting people to hand you an answer from which you intend to profit.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 9:11am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer wanting to take advantage.

I would also add, as someone who's spent a fair amount of time working in marketing, that it's customary, when asking people to participate in a new product focus group, to offer them something in the way of compensation for their time. I think a bag of Counter Culture Rustico for everybody here would be appropriate.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 9:29am
Subject: Re: Im a Designer wanting to take advantage.

aaaaaayyyyy!

calblacksmith: thumbs up.jpg

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Im a Designer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.530632019043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+