Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Keeping coffee cups hot with a steamer?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Keeping coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JohnOttwein

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 3:32pm
Subject: Keeping coffee cups hot with a steamer?

First post ... I recently got into chemex brewing and find it essential to have a hot chemex and hot cups so heat isn't lost. I am wasting an incredible amount of water every time i brew and thought there must be a better way. Is there such a product out there that does this? I've seen in coffee shops sometimes they have steamers on top of the espresso machines and I've even thought about a towel steamer that spas uses. I may be way off base but I'm a little surprised I couldn't find one post on the Internet about this. Thanks in advance!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 5:45pm
Subject: Re: Keeping coffee cups hot with a steamer?

Well, the cup warming trays on espresso machines are only energy efficient at keeping the cups warm because they're capturing the heat produced by the espresso machine to heat the water in the boiler.  I did see a stand-alone electric cup warmer in Italy next to the coffee urn at the Hotel I was staying at, but these are pretty expensive, at least this one (www.coffeemakersetc.com).

Can you heat the cup and the Chemex with water from your kettle and then just re-boil the water instead of dumping it?  That should cut down on the waste, but your Chemex and Cup better be clean otherwise your pouring dirty water into your boiling kettle.

You could find one of those executive coffee cup warmers and put your coffee cup on it, I'd be leery about heating the Chemex without water in it.

Maybe you could save the water that you use to heat up the Chemex and your coffee cup to use as your washing up water or put it in a bucket to water your plants.  I wish I had a better answer.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnOttwein

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 6:22pm

Thank you for replying. I think I may have finally found what I'm looking for. You can program it to kick on before you get up so when it's time to brew, everything is nice and warm. I would like to see one in real life first and also make sure the wood collar on the chemex would be okay.
For some reason I can only get links to send me to websites' homepage. It's called Jura Capresso Cup Warmer
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:32am

JohnOttwein Said:

It's called Jura Capresso Cup Warmer

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Hmmm...just checked this out. Don't think a chemex would fit. Also, did you see the price. $200 seems alot to spend on something like this.  I just pour my waste water in the sink with the plug in. Why waste hot water, then turn around and turn on the hot water tap a few mins later. Perfect for dishes.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Keeping coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203803062439)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+