Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coffee trouble, please help!
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee trouble,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Greghatch

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 11:11am
Subject: Coffee trouble, please help!

I'm in great peril.  I love sushi and Japanese cuisine, however, I have been unable to procure said beverage at any sushi location in the Unites States. I've been told no more times than I can count...

What's the hold up? I really like coffee, and sushi is a distant but welcome second.  Is there something I should be aware of? A thorough google search has left me with more questions than answers.  Is this a cultural phenomenon? I sometimes feel as though asking for coffee in sushi restaurants is in some way impolite... Any advice?

Advice, please. Help.

Distressed coffee lover.

Greghatch: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Coffee trouble, please help!

I love sushi, pry eat it 3 times a week, going tonight too lol... nice protein and carb packed dinner after a nice morning of lifting weights lol. However coffee and sushi together doesn't sound appetizing at all, certain cuisines go well with coffee whether during or after, but not with sushi IMO. I know the sushi joints I go to definitely don't serve coffee.

You could always make sushi at home, not too hard if you learn and get supplies (tons of vids online). Then if you so wanted to, you can make your own coffee with it lol
Greghatch

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 2:05pm

CMIN Said:

I love sushi, pry eat it 3 times a week, going tonight too lol... nice protein and carb packed dinner after a nice morning of lifting weights lol. However coffee and sushi together doesn't sound appetizing at all, certain cuisines go well with coffee whether during or after, but not with sushi IMO. I know the sushi joints I go to definitely don't serve coffee.

You could always make sushi at home, not too hard if you learn and get supplies (tons of vids online). Then if you so wanted to, you can make your own coffee with it lol

Posted October 6, 2012 link

Nothing is wrong with coffee. This is a coffee lover's forum. I enjoy coffee with everything.

Peril was putting it mildly. Your response, while appreciated, does not help me understand why sushi restaurants refuse to accommodate my desires. I feel as though if I more clearly understood the aversion to our beloved roasted beverage, I would have peace.  

Right now, I am deeply confounded. Why would they refuse to serve a beverage that brings millions happiness and alertness? What motives could they have that they would be so heartless? Do they want customers to be unhappy and tired while eating? And, no, I don't want tea; I want coffee.

Answers, please! Help.

(Click for larger image)
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 4:41pm

Is there a restaurant you go to more often than others?

find the owner/manager and ask.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Greghatch

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:11pm

cerridwyn Said:

Is there a restaurant you go to more often than others?

find the owner/manager and ask.

That's a great suggestion. I've asked once but there was language barrier, and other times when I've asked the server I felt like it was a sensitive subject when they said no (not unlike a cook becoming annoyed when a customer asked for a steak to be cooked well done). Perhaps I am merely projecting.

I came here because this feels like a safe place for coffee lovers to get answers. This may be an oddly specific question, but it plagues my every moment and its making me dramatic.

(Click for larger image)
CMIN

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:15pm

Greghatch Said:

Nothing is wrong with coffee. This is a coffee lover's forum. I enjoy coffee with everything.

Peril was putting it mildly. Your response, while appreciated, does not help me understand why sushi restaurants refuse to accommodate my desires. I feel as though if I more clearly understood the aversion to our beloved roasted beverage, I would have peace.  

Right now, I am deeply confounded. Why would they refuse to serve a beverage that brings millions happiness and alertness? What motives could they have that they would be so heartless? Do they want customers to be unhappy and tired while eating? And, no, I don't want tea; I want coffee.

Answers, please! Help.

You may enjoy coffee with everything, but not everyone else. Pretty simple to understand, certain cuisines go hand in hand with coffee, others don't. You may want coffee with sushi, but not everyone else... or else you'd see that happening (which I've never even seen traveling to Japan and eating sushi there as well). Why should the restaurant accommodate only your "wants and desires" for coffee? Your posts just sound a bit odd like your taking this way to seriously to heart, I mean "heartless and tired and unhappy"? Never seen that in a good sushi joint, excellent food, saki, company etc... who would be unhappy and tired after that?

I'm going to one of fave places tonight, I'll ask them why they don't serve coffee though I'm pretty sure I already known the answer lol. I don't go to our local burger joints as well and feel they are "heartless" b/c they don't serve coffee.... or sushi for that matter ;)
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 7:04pm

If you go to Handsome Coffee Roasters' cafe in Los Angeles, no matter how much you might love sweetener in your coffee, you won't get it. There is no sweetener in the building. They have stated simply that sugar doesn't belong in coffee. That's their choice, and when people go to their cafe, they play by their rules. You want sugar? You get your coffee someplace else. I imagine it's kinda the same thing here.

If you want coffee with your sushi, bring a thermos. Trust me, if they don't normally make coffee, you wouldn't want the coffee they would make if you forced them to make some.

Personally, my take is that the taste of the sushi would ruin the taste of the coffee and vice versa, so neither would be a satisfying experience.

My Japanese friend whose family owns a top-notch sushi place is going to be endlessly amused by this.
CMIN

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 7:38pm

Asked one of the sushi joints we go to, owner said what I thought she'd say "who the heck would want coffee with sushi, I love coffee but that would not go well together at all". One of the chefs chuckled and said that sounded nasty. So there ya have it lol.

I can't see how the taste of coffee or espresso would taste good at all with sushi. Lox and bagels yeh, Cuban restaurant yeh... sushi no.
tinacraft

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:45pm

When I go to a shushi place I usually order the Udon soup. I know that in the Japanese culture forks are not the utensil of choice, but I simply cannot eat my soup with chop sticks. To solve this, I ask for a fork, every time. every.time. and, they give one to me! I am the only one in the restaurant using a fork, but they accommodate me to keep me happy. If they would refuse me a fork and say I must use the chopsticks, I would not eat there anymore and they would loose my business.

Forks = coffee
Tea = chopsticks

give the man a cup of coffee!
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 1:52pm

i feel like we've been trolled.

:|
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee trouble,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290601968765)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+