Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coffee trouble, please help!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee trouble,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Perked
Perked
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 2:16pm
Subject: Re: Coffee trouble, please help!

I was wondering that too Frank, because it IS a very odd request to have.... I love sushi too but if they don't server coffee I'd deal with it.

It's a matter of restaurant culture. Certain norms have been put into place and maybe over time we will see coffee server at sushi restaurants... but I digress..

In any case, if you really see a need that is going unfilled, then that is an opportunity.....
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:18am

tinacraft Said:

When I go to a shushi place I usually order the Udon soup. I know that in the Japanese culture forks are not the utensil of choice, but I simply cannot eat my soup with chop sticks. To solve this, I ask for a fork, every time. every.time. and, they give one to me! I am the only one in the restaurant using a fork, but they accommodate me to keep me happy. If they would refuse me a fork and say I must use the chopsticks, I would not eat there anymore and they would loose my business.

Forks = coffee
Tea = chopsticks

give the man a cup of coffee!

Posted October 8, 2012 link

So a restaurant should go out of their way for one person to buy an expensive commercial espresso/drip etc machine and grinder (since if they bought a $20 drip and Folgers seriously doubt you guys would drink it lol)? Sorry, this is the new Business 101, old saying "customer is always right" is long gone, I love being able to put customers in their place in my various business, I consult for the most part... if I lose a client here and there, don't matter, I've got 5 more lined up begging to do business with me.

BTW went to another one of our sushi joints last night, same thing, "b/c who would drink coffee with sushi?".

I think I'm going to go to a Greek place tonight and ask why I can't have an jamocha milkshake, or a Wagyu burger. ;p
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:02pm

tinacraft Said:

When I go to a shushi place I usually order the Udon soup. I know that in the Japanese culture forks are not the utensil of choice, but I simply cannot eat my soup with chop sticks. To solve this, I ask for a fork, every time. every.time. and, they give one to me! I am the only one in the restaurant using a fork, but they accommodate me to keep me happy. If they would refuse me a fork and say I must use the chopsticks, I would not eat there anymore and they would loose my business.

Forks = coffee
Tea = chopsticks

give the man a cup of coffee!

Posted October 8, 2012 link

Do you really think the restaurant not serving coffee is analogous to your needing a fork because you can't learn to eat with sticks?  Really?  Although it's not part of their culture, they realize they're in america and people here don't grow up eating with sticks, so if they don't offer forks, they probably won't be able to stay in business.

Coffee isn't part of most of Japanese culture.  But it's not an item that's going to close them down if they don't offer it.  Sure there are experts in coffee in Japan, and you can get Japanese made grinders and other equipment, but it's not part of what is served in sushi restaurants, as a general "rule".  Guess what else, many of them don't serve milk.  Yeah, milk...when we go to them, our 4 year old drinks water.

As eluded to above, you're not going to get a Wagyu burger from a greek restaurant. Actually, you won't get one from a Japanese restaurant either.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ChillInCafe

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 4:42am

This is really an amusing post. Just like the rest, I haven't been to sushi restaurants that serve coffee on the side.  Moreover, while drinking roasted coffee beans is a favorite beverage worldwide, I think it ranks second to tea among the Japanese. I am not sure about this claim though but you have better chances of getting tea with your sushi than coffee. Good luck finding a sushi restaurant that provide you with both coffee and sushi.
Java_Jiver
Java_Jiver
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Drip: Technivorm 741
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 2:05am

Greghatch Said:

Nothing is wrong with coffee. This is a coffee lover's forum. I enjoy coffee with everything.

Peril was putting it mildly. Your response, while appreciated, does not help me understand why sushi restaurants refuse to accommodate my desires. I feel as though if I more clearly understood the aversion to our beloved roasted beverage, I would have peace.  

Right now, I am deeply confounded. Why would they refuse to serve a beverage that brings millions happiness and alertness? What motives could they have that they would be so heartless? Do they want customers to be unhappy and tired while eating? And, no, I don't want tea; I want coffee.

Answers, please! Help.

Posted October 6, 2012 link

I'm not all that familiar with the Japanese culture, but I think I remember something about their affinity to teas and such, not coffee. Perhaps these sushi restaurants consider asking for coffee something like asking for a beer to accompany your banana split at Baskin Robbins. I'll admit that I prefer things like donuts or Danish pastry with my coffee, though.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee trouble,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258764982224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+