Coffee: Questions and Answers
whether or not to return an open box Nuova Simonelli Oscar purchase
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > whether or not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
LAJayne

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 9:27pm
Subject: whether or not to return an open box Nuova Simonelli Oscar purchase

After much research, I ordered a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, open box. It arrived today. 2 things bother me and I wonder if I am just being overly cautious.
First, when I removed the drip tray, there was a screw in it. I couldn't locate where it came from but there are 2 open slots on each side so it could have fallen from inside of the machine near the brewhead since it is fairly open. Even with a mirror and flashlight, it was not obvious where the screw belongs.
Second,there is a dent/crack on the front of the machine. Maybe it was from the portafilter knocking into that area. It seems odd to have a crack/dent rather than a scratch, though. There was also coffee in the brewhead area so maybe the previous owner didn't bother to clean it. All of this is making me anxious. Should I be concerned? It was $100 less for the open box. Should I return it for anew one?

I am 150 miles from the vendor so I would have to mail it back or drive over and back. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 1:27am
Subject: Re: whether or not to return an open box Nuova Simonelli Oscar purchase

I can understand your disappointment after ordering a new machine and having it arrive in less than pristine condition.  It's like that first scratch on a new car.  I'd contact the dealer and see if you can work something out....ie: once you factor in the cost of shipping there and back + hassle + replacement, maybe it'd be a mutual benefit to decide on a $ amount that would make you happy and come in cost equivalent/cheaper for the vendor.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 9:49am
Subject: Re: whether or not to return an open box Nuova Simonelli Oscar purchase

Contact the seller, I am sure they sent it insured, you would be crazy to not do that.

On the surface, if it were me, if the seller could kick back another $50 or so and the machine worked fine, I would live with it and not look back. My oscar had a few cracks in the housing by the drip tray from shipping, it never affected a thing and from more than a few feet away, you could not see the issue and life was good.

I know I will use the drip tray as a place to put screws when I disassemble a machine, perhaps, the seller had removed some of the covers to check for damage and missed a screw when reassembling the machine and you found it. OR it may have fallen out of someplace like you think YMMV.

Who did you buy it from? Coffee in the group head, well it wasn't flushed after the last time it made coffee, perhaps at the first owners home or perhaps on a workbench? Should it have been flushed... yes. Will it make a big deal? Not to me, you should see some of the gunk I see in used machines.

In the end you are the one that needs to be comfortable with the deal. Again, contact the seller and see what they say.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LAJayne

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2012, 8:55pm

Thanks for your advice. It was greatly appreciated. I felt a lot better after reading your posts and then talking with the vendor, Seattle Coffee Gear, whom I have purchased from before.  I knew open box meant it might have a few nicks. SCG also said the screw could be from using the drip tray as a holder for screws when testing the machine after it was returned.

I was concerned because I spent a lot more money on this machine and hoped I'd made the right choice. I had my first machine for 11 years of everyday use, and my last 2 for 22 months and 17 months respectively. It was time to make a better investment in the hopes this one lasts a few years at least.

The Oscar makes good espresso shots after I threw the first few out trying to adjust the grind. I wasn't having much luck steaming milk after following directions in the manual. After watching more videos, I found out my usual way was fine.

Coffee is like wine. Once you've had good espresso, you can't go back to the mediocre stuff.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012, 5:48am

I'm glad it worked out for you, I had guessed the screw situation on the head.
Yes, once you have good, it is VERY hard to go back to what is served in most shops.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > whether or not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191401004791)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+