Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Is it possilbe that I don't like good coffee?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it possilbe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 1:03pm
Subject: Is it possilbe that I don't like good coffee?

My staff at work thinks I should consider the possibility that I just don't like coffee that others would consider to be good.

Here is some examples that they say might be signs:

1. I pour out a lot of coffee that I make at home.
  2. I bought a Kurig K cup brewer and used it for a week and unhooked it.
  3. Just Saturday, I went to a respected coffee house in my neck of the woods and ordered a pumpkin spice latte... I poured it out when I got home... just tasted like steamed milk with pumpkin spice to me.
  4. I think McDonald's mocha's are good when they hit the mark (sometimes they miss).
  5. I like Lattes from Starbucks pretty well, but not as much as McDonald's.
  6. Back in the 90's I used to make mocha's and lattes at home all of the time with a cheap espresso maker and a cheap burr grinder. I remember loving them. The only reason I quit was because I was gaining weight and I was having two or three a day. I don't remember anyone ever thinking they were great except me... but to be honest, most of the people I know how think that espresso based beverages are over rated (with the possible exception of frozen drinks, which I personally do not like).
  7. I live in Oklahoma. We do not have a lot of places that have a reputation for great coffee, but most of the time when I order a latte (what I usually order) from a coffee house, I can drink them but don't think they are special. It would probably be a stretch to say I have had very many espresso drinks that were prepared by a true professional barista
  8. I used to think the espresso based drinks I made in the 90's at home was pretty good.
  9. I never drink espresso or coffee without doctoring it up... I usually drink milk based espresso usually with something that makes it pretty sweet.
  10. I bought I ENA 4 super auto last year and am not over impressed with the coffee... even though, thanks to this forum, I have improved the taste a lot in the last week.
 View Profile Link to this post
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum,...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: Is it possilbe that I don't like good coffee?

It's interesting to me that you keep trying.  I wonder why.  My own point of view is that someone who orders a pumpkin spiced latte isn't really going for a good coffee flavor.  I'm not surprised you didn't like it - although I wouldn't be inclined to blame that on the coffee.  For a good test, get a simple pour over device like a clever dripper and some good coffee from  a supplier like Klatch or Paradise, Counter Culture, Metropolis, Red Bird - you get the idea.  Grind it fresh and make yourself a cup.  If you don't like it, then chances are you don't like coffee.  Send me the left-overs.

Bean2friends
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 1:45pm

RichardCoffee Said:

It's interesting to me that you keep trying.

Posted October 1, 2012 link

I keep trying because I know I used to like/love the product I made years ago with the cheap espresso machine.

I actually ordered some Redbird. I thought it was ok as compared to the other products I am running through my ENA, but it wasn't my favorite. Starbucks Dark Espresso Roast was the worst. I have noticed the darker the roast the less I like it.

I guess it would be fair to say that I don't like the coffee flavor itself, but I do like the flavor it adds to the milk based drinks (does that make sense?).

Back in the 90's when I used to make espresso all of the time, I would go to a local coffee shop and buy beans from him and take them home. I never knew what kind of beans he sold me... I just told him I was making espresso at home and he sold me the beans I needed. That guy is still in business. Maybe I need to go talk to him.
marlap
marlap
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Braun KM 30 (modded)
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 2:05pm

To me it sounds as if you're a true coffee enthusiast, but you just haven't found your perfect brew yet. Keep up the search, I hope you find it!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:00pm

Agree, you kinda have things working against you... no quality shops around you, k-cup, the superauto etc.

If you had a nice espresso machine, a nice grinder, nice fresh beans.. and dialed in you'll see a world of difference vs what you've had before that left a "don't like espresso taste" in your mouth. I have a Delonghi Bar32 laying around, better then nothing, but by far not real espresso. If you like McD's etc it's pry b/c you enjoy all the sweetness thrown in masking up any actual coffee flavor (which that and even Charbucks coffee straight is gross).

But you don't even need to go that far. Like mentioned above you should just get a simple pour over (Chemex, Hario Drip, Clever etc), and try that, heck even try the Aeropress. You still need to have the grind dialed in right, but you can get an excellent flavorful cup with fresh beans. Not sure if someone lives close to you, could check on here or Home Barista, but I'd be willing to bet that if you had Redbird out of my CC1 whether straight or latte style, vs the super auto and it's mehh grinder, it'd be a night and day difference. If you want some extra flavor, you could try some high quality syrups (I've got Davinci at the house).

You may actually like "coffee", just haven't had any good ones made right ;)
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:16pm

DeanOK Said:

.... I usually drink milk based espresso usually with something that makes it pretty sweet.

That's common with poor quality coffee, so hard to say if you'd like the good stuff without it.  I'm sure you'd like it just as well with all the fixin's, but that isn' t the goal.  I'm not too proud to say that sugary drinks taste good, but there are many reasons to get rid of that extra.
A few below, if I may:
1) It defeats the purpose of striving for a good quality cup, when you're just going to dump sugar into it anyway.  
2) The whole process is something to take pride in and enjoy, rather than just slurp back whatever sits in the pot
3) The community of others with similar common goals
and...
It's just not the same with pumpkin spice lattes for instance.  Never say never, but I don't know of any forums dedicated to those who love to drink pumpkin spice lattes. It would be like having a milkshake lovers forum. Sure, they're tasty, but hard to dedicate your spare time to constructing delicious milkshakes......and oh, the shame. Can you imagine the posts..."just made 3 back-to-back big gulps of double chocolate milkshake.....soooo tasty".  Hard to call those folks geeks/nerds/snobs, etc like with the coffee folks.  Most people just call them fat.    

*please take this with the sarcasm that is intended and not a slam on anyone who likes milkshakes, whether they be thin or overweight.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:43pm
Subject: Re: Is it possible that I don't like good coffee?

diggi Said:

It's just not the same with pumpkin spice lattes for instance.  Never say never, but I don't know of any forums dedicated to those who love to drink pumpkin spice lattes.

It was just an example and a fall ritual for me because I love pumpkin ice cream, pie and malts (with extra malt).... but I have never in my life enjoyed drinking coffee that was not sweetened up. With that  said, I never have enjoyed coffee more than the coffee I made years ago with espresso. Even then, I probably had 15 or 20 Torani flavored syrups in the house... today, I probably have 10... most of them are sugar free. Just today, some Starbucks mocha powder came in the mail... just because I had read that it makes the best mochas... and I like mochas.

So... I doubt I will ever be a person that drinks any form of espresso, drip coffee, pour overs, Turkish, french press, or anything else that has not been tempered with sugar and milk.  But gotta tell ya, really good espresso adds a flavor AND an after flavor that I like. Not sure the taste i am going for would be appreciated by anyone else though.

Who knows, maybe my taste will change... but I love my iced tea with sweetener as well.. the difference with tea is I can drink it unsweetened, but prefer not to. I am picky about iced tea too.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 3:53pm

DeanOK Said:

It was just an example and a fall ritual for me because I love pumpkin ice cream, pie and malts (with extra malt)....

Love pumpkin too and would probably love a well made pumpkin spice latte too.....never tried one.  Just had a slice of pumpkin pie/ice cream and a cappa only 5 mins ago.

DeanOK Said:

...but I have never in my life enjoyed drinking coffee that was not sweetened up.

Isn't that the point we're trying to make.  Maybe you do.  You just havn't had a properly prepared cup of coffee yet.  Isn't that what you've been trying to tell us, or did I miss the boat here.  You are in a place where there are limited good caffees. You have only used lack luster equiment to make sugary espresso based drinks that you have enjoyed, etc etc.  But you havn't had a proper cup of coffee without milk or sugar, have you?.....Maybe I just missed that point.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 4:07pm

diggi Said:

But you haven't had a proper cup of coffee without milk or sugar, have you?.....Maybe I just missed that point.

No, maybe not, but I have at least tried a lot of coffee and espresso (probably not perfect espresso) without flavoring it with sugar and milk... just didn't really prefer it. I can't image the best espresso in the world being so good I would prefer it over my sweet milky version....but I am at least open minded enough to try it.

My dad is the same way... he doesn't drink espresso, but he loves his drip coffee no more than 15 minutes old... but he always puts sugar and cream in it. Maybe it is in the genes.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 4:09am

My guess about what you made at home was your ratio was different. In the old days, people were not fanatic about measuring, now they are. I can remember when a capp was really 1/3 foam that was.. well foamy. And when a latte was just poor some milk and add some espresso, no concern about the 90/10 ratio.

Try to think back about your espresso/coffee ratio and maybe see if you can find someplace that makes either a coffee mocha *yes I have had them* or ask for an extra shot of espresso into your drink and see if it comes closer. Did you use whole milk or did you actually just use what was in the fridge?

IMHO, the best chocolate for making mocha's comes from Ghirardelli. (I never spell it right). They are called barista chips and they are very very very very dark.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Is it possilbe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463185071945)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+