Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Are you using French Press at home?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Are you using...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tellnemo
tellnemo
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Are you using French Press at home?

Hi all. I'm a coffee convert and I'd like to start making good tasting coffee at home more often.

What do you like about using French Press? In your experience, are there any drawbacks to using French Press?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: Are you using French Press at home?

There are different ways of preparing coffee: drip, Turkish, espresso, French press, moka...

All of those preparations have one thing in common: As long as you want the best possible results, you have to use freshly roasted and ground coffee beans. Only then you'll get the best taste. Which way of brewing coffee you like best depends on many factors, including financial restrictions. After all, not everyone can afford to buy an expensive espresso machine, for example.

If you want to try French press, just go ahead. But get yourself good coffee and a capable grinder to start with.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 10:15am

Yes, I use a French press at home everyday. It is definitely my favorite so my opinions may be somewhat biased. You asked what I as a regular home user like about it. These are some of the points that are important to me:

1-  Full bodied taste and mouth feel.

2-  Excellent repeat ability. No problems with the water finding easy channels through the ground coffee.

3-  Inexpensive.

4-  Easy to make small batches in order to always enjoy freshly brewed coffee.

5-  Easy to adjust the level of extraction for ALL the coffee, with the exception of grind size distribution.

The drawbacks for me are:

1-  Longer clean up than for paper filter coffee.

2-  A consistent grind size is more important than for drip or even espresso since I'm told espresso relies on a distribution of grind sizes for proper compaction.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 10:36am

VernS Said:

Yes, I use a French press at home everyday. It is definitely my favorite so my opinions may be somewhat biased. You asked what I as a regular home user like about it.

Posted September 28, 2012 link

Just for contrast I drink espresso by far and away more then anything else but only without food. If we are having pie or something of the sort it is nearly always press pot coffee.

VernS Said:

These are some of the points that are important to me:

1-  Full bodied taste and mouth feel.

2-  Excellent repeat ability. No problems with the water finding easy channels through the ground coffee.

3-  Inexpensive.

4-  Easy to make small batches in order to always enjoy freshly brewed coffee.

5-  Easy to adjust the level of extraction for ALL the coffee, with the exception of grind size distribution.

The drawbacks for me are:

1-  Longer clean up than for paper filter coffee.

+1 too all that

VernS Said:

2-  A consistent grind size is more important than for drip or even espresso since I'm told espresso relies on a distribution of grind sizes for proper compaction.

Not so much on the espresso bit. I want an Ubber consistent grind regardless of preparation, throw down on the grinder.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Are you using...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244588136673)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+