Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coffee before breakfast (breaking the fast)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee before...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Coffee before breakfast (breaking the fast)

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Personally I refrain from having coffee prior to eating breakfast.  It twists my stomach.  

Len

Posted September 28, 2012 link

Ditto.

Dave,

I wouldn't underestimate the lingering taste perception and effects of the food stuck between your teeth from breakfast. If possible I like to use my Waterpik after a meal. My breakfast, however, is all liquid, so with a simple rinse I think I get a fairly "true reading" of my first cup. Elsewhere someone has posted about tongue scraping to get a more unfettered presentation of the cup.

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bort99

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2012, 11:37am

I've noticed the same effect and never thought twice about the answer: Food changes your palate.

In the wine world, this is something that's always being considered. People debate about pairings, you don't eat anything strong-tasting before heading into a tasting, and it's easily demonstrable that some foods have seriously dramatic effects that last for hours. Try sipping some wine, taking a few bites of blue cheese and then trying the wine again later on, long after all perceptible taste of the cheese is gone. It will be different.

It would be ridiculous to say that coffee isn't food-friendly. It is, by nature, just like wine. But I've noticed that bright, citrusy coffees really get dulled by some common breakfast foods—especially eggs (which are notoriously hard to pair with wine, too).
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 9:55am

bort99 Said:

It would be ridiculous to say that coffee isn't food-friendly. It is, by nature, just like wine.

Posted October 2, 2012 link

I sometimes pair my morning coffee with food on purpose. When the coffee is really good it stands alone. But when it is something less than ideal I will drink it with food. This can turn a cup of coffee that I don't really enjoy at all into wonderful tasting coffee. It's quite a remarkable transformation. I suppose it's the same reason people add sweeteners or cream to their coffee. I think of it as a crutch but it works so well that it doesn't bother me when I resort to it.

Some perfectly good wines are better paired with foods than they are alone.

But the OP seems to be saying that eating beforehand makes the coffee taste worse, without qualification.
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:48am

When I first crawl out of bed, it's one of two things: bathroom or coffee (depending on the urgency of the former :) ). I usually can't eat first thing after getting up, anyway...I have to be awake for a spell. And then, it's normally a bowl of Cheerios and blueberries (unless I'm really famished, then I'm forced to cook). But that first cup *always* comes before eating....and the taste defies mere words. But I would think anything eaten could affect its taste. Especially anything Seasoned with Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning. ;)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:59am

Coffee is breakfast!  Food comes at least an hour later...at least for me.  Of course, I always start my day with a cappa...so, there is some milk involved.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:01am

Coffee before breakfast, for sure.  I take my first cup before my shower and other morning abulations.  The only things that come before the first cup is an early morning roasting session (if I can roll out of bed at five) and/or a bathroom break.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coffee before...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244759082794)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+