Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Questions about setting up a home roasting shop in New York State.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Questions about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
n0ah87

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:38am
Subject: Questions about setting up a home roasting shop in New York State.

More specifically Onondaga County.

I am looking to get into roasting at home and I am WAY WAY ahead of myself here but I just was hoping to get a realistic idea of what I would be up against if I wanted to some day get my very own YM-2 and give it a shot on a larger scale.  

I have done some research on my own through websites but I was hoping that there was someone here who has done it before that can point me in the right direction.  I plan to sell at farmers markets, online through Etsy, my own online shop, and my own,  and hopefully someday to larger companies.  I would ideally like to be setup in my detached garage running this little shop where it would be separated from the house.  

Is anyone familiar with that is required to make this dream a reality? Any links or documents or just general knowledge would be seriously appreciated.

Thank you! :D
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:17pm
Subject: Re: Questions about setting up a home roasting shop in New York State.

Best way to find out what requirements are locally is to get in touch with the county Small Business Administration office and local health department to get copies of applicable regulations and such. The SBA is a great resource for that type of thing.
n0ah87

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 9:42am

Thanks so much for the advice! I went on the local SBA website and got directed to the SBDC in my area.  I am currently scheduled to take a "starting a small business" class next week and then they will assign me an advisor.  All totally free!  You were of more help than you know :)

Once I get going i'll send you a bag :P
GVDub

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:09am

Well, free if you don't count the tax money you've paid into keeping the SBA running over the years. I happen to think it's more than worth it, though. SBA is one of the best government programs and one of the ones few people seem to be aware of.

Good luck and here's hoping you bring some great coffee to central New York State.
GVDub

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 6:19pm

Matthew My wife also reminds me of the Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCoRE), which is a non-governmental non-profit that's designed to provide mentorship to small start-up businesses. They don't necessarily have a big pool in every area of the country, but I'd be surprised if the Syracuse area didn't have a decent number of folks.
n0ah87

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:06pm

You are right about paying for it in taxes, but i'm ready to get my moneys worth :D.

I will have to check out the SCoRE program in my area.  I do remember seeing it advertised on the SBA website so I'm sure that we have something available here.   Thanks again to you and your wife!
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 7:15pm

n0ah87 Said:

More specifically Onondaga County.

I am looking to get into roasting at home and I am WAY WAY ahead of myself here but I just was hoping to get a realistic idea of what I would be up against if I wanted to some day get my very own YM-2 and give it a shot on a larger scale.  

Posted September 25, 2012 link

Maybe talk to Owen O'Neill about this.

Oh yes, and I agree you are getting WAY WAY ahead of yourself.  ;)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Questions about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233451128006)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+