Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Over-extraction in a pour-over coffee cone
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Over-extraction...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JustAcoffeeDrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 11:32am
Subject: Over-extraction in a pour-over coffee cone

I read that coffee releases different flavours as brewing time passes.  If your grinder (say, blade grinder) creates nonuniform chunks of ground coffee, the smaller pieces can over-extract while the larger chunks under-extract.

I use a Melitta #2 single-cup plastic cone that I put a paper filter into, then place the whole thing on top of a cup.  The grounds go into the filter-lined cone, then I pour water through.  The recommended grind is fine.

1. It seems impossible to over-extract because the coffee goes through once and the extraction time is pretty constant.  It depends marginally on how fine the grind is, but not much.

2. Assuming that the extraction time is roughly constant, then I guess I can over-extract by grinding too fine, since optimum extraction time decreases with the fine-ness of the grind.

3. Also, sometimes I make a *large* cup of coffee, and I find it necessary to fill the cone up twice with water to fully fill the cup.  I guess I can over-extract that way too, since this doubles the extraction time.  Wouldn't this mean also that bigger pour-over cones are at risk of over-extracting as well, since they also increase the extraction time?  Unless there are more holes at the bottom of the cone to increase the water throughput and maintain optimum extraction time in the face of a greater volume of water going through.

Do the above 3 points seem reasonable?  (I'm enjoying my large cup of coffee nevertheless).
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 2:27pm
Subject: ...

JustAcoffeeDrinker

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: Over-extraction in a pour-over coffee cone

I was doing it Starbucks style.  It tkes around 3 minutes for coffee to pass through.  The total volume is 2 cups.  I pour in a ladel to wet the (fine) grounds thoroughly for about 20 seconds, then fill up the cone (1 cup).  As the water drains, just before the grounds stopped being fully immersed, I pour in the 2nd cup (after ensuring it's 94C (201F).  Sometimes, the first cup has fully drained through the cone before I can get the 2nd cup up to temperature.

What's wrong with drowning the coffee grounds?  Isn't that what a press does?

I looked up CCD: Clever Coffee Dripper (http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffeedripperpictorial.php).  Looks quite advanced.  I think I'll try experimenting with my primitive pour-over before venturing into more advanced equipment.

Thanks.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 6:41am

JustAcoffeeDrinker

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:13pm

Thanks for that scientifically intuitive explanation.  I couldn't hep but notice your rather scientific looking avatar.  I bet that a rather complicated many-body simulation could be done on the extraction, but it would require a good model of the actual relinquishment of flavour by the grains of ground coffee, the diffusion of the flavour upward through the immersive hot water, and the flow of water through the bed of grounds.  But I got the gist of it from your much simpler explanation.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 10:35am

JustAcoffeeDrinker

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 8:11pm

So that's what I'm guzzling....cool.

Hey, I use to work in an electro-optical characterization lab....never thought to test my coffee that way.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Over-extraction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20872092247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+