Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Honest opinion of the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Honest opinion...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mikespresso

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 7:51am
Subject: Honest opinion of the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder

I'm looking to buy a burr grinder to make real espresso. I'm getting rid of my pressurized portafilter model and buying a non pressurized one. Could all those who have any experience with the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder tell me if it can produce a grind quality good enough for use in a high end espresso machine. This is more to do with the fact that the machine is just $129. Its not that I don't want to spend on a good grinder, I just want honest opinions about the Baratza Encore. I actually found this video on youtube Click Here (www.youtube.com) that shows the grinder being used in a high end espresso machine. Can that be trusted.

I'd appreciate if any of the senior members with this forum could be of help. Please do not provide a judgement based just on the cost of the machine but if you have actually used the machine for real espresso. Thanks a lot.
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 8:04am
Subject: Re: Honest opinion of the Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder

Internet rule number one: If somebody's selling a particular piece of grear, don't trust any video you find of them showing how cool it is. Such things are too easily jiggered.

I'm not saying either way about the Encore, other than that I don't know anybody who is using it as their primary espresso grinder. I have not used one, so I don't have hands-on with it, but my impression from those who have is there is not enough adjustability and not an even enough grind. You need to at least step up to the Virtuoso or the Preciso to get something that will work reliably for espresso.
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 9:00am

What the Encore lacks for espresso is a low-step fineness control.  The difference in one click on the Encore will go from gush to choke when brewing.  You might be able to hit a sweet spot for a particular bean at a particular time, but I've heard it's mostly not reliable.

I don't brew espresso myself, but I've heard the Preciso is a good choice, especially if you switch between espresso and other methods, or if you don't want to pay as much for a Vario.  The Vario is a good grinder for espresso, but I find that it has dust problems for drip or even moka pot.  However if you are considering the Encore for espresso, you probably have budget limitations so you'll have to find the right balance.

Donald Varona
GlenO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini PP
Grinder: Forte AP, Macap M4 Stepless;...
Roaster: HotTopB-2k, UFO/TO
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 9:19am

Towards the end of that youtube video, the comment is made that the Encore is not recommended for everyday espresso usage as the grinder is simply not beefy enough and an espresso grind would put too much strain on it if used consistently that way.  As others have noted, the inability to make fine adjustments with the Encore is also a real limitation.  Personally, for espresso usage I would not go any lower than the Preciso model in the Baratza line.  I can vouch that it is quite capable as an espresso grinder and also a great grinder for other brewing methods.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 10:02am

Problem with the Encore is no real dialing in, you may get an "ok" shot one day, and then nothing but gushers or crazy fast blonding rest of the time as it has wide steps. It's a fine grinder for a pressurized portafilter though and for coarser needs, but the Preciso (and Vario) are in a completely different league. Every few days I can move the micro arm on the Preciso slightly to keep the shots dialed in as the beans age.... can't do that on the Encore. Have owners of both whom have posted similar on here and HB site.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Honest opinion...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191185951233)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+