Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Best glue for acrylic/lexan type hopper - empirical results
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best glue for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Espressissimo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:26am
Subject: Best glue for acrylic/lexan type hopper - empirical results

Hi, I am new to this great site and here is my first intervention :)

I wonder if anyone has experience with gluing a hopper.
I need to ID the material, it is this transparent, acrylic-type kitchen appliance thing
Then find a glue for it.
Anyone could help me establish what kind of material this is, then recommend a glue for it?
I am looking for real experiences and sophisticated adhesives. Of course I can go to a supermarket or hardware store and buy some glues, but I am searching for something industrial.
Loctite has some marvelous things and great technical advisory, but at least need to know which material this is.
I am in Germany at present, so local products, always convenient, otherwise I source online of course.
Thanks all!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 5:58am
Subject: Re: Best glue for acrylic/lexan type hopper - empirical results

UH, welcome.
Having the manufacturer of the equipment in question known will go a long way toward identifying what was used. Your question is VERY general, too general to give an accurate reply to.

Are you looking to glue a lot of these or is your one and only bean hopper broken?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Espressissimo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 8:00am

Hello and thanks for your answer. Good point!
But the material is the typical kitchen appliance thingy. It will be great to have a thread on glues :)
The victim is a Eureka Mignon about 10 years old. I am trying to glue my hopper because a new one will set me back USD 40
I bit the bullet and I am trying with a UHU glue for hard plastics. It says that it is developed for kitchen appliances and  car tail lights.
Let See what happens.
If you have any ideas I would like to know. I tend to shy away from off-the-shelf hardware store products, except the Americans.
Years ago I called Loctite for a plastic bonding application between acrylic and polypropylene. I was told to use a primer spray and a special superglue.
That thing it is holding on for 20 years and counting and everything I glued with that combo held together.
I called Hempel/Loctite this morning, the techie there could not bother, then called a local distributor who recommended a 50 Euro glue.
Cheers
efilive

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap M4D/Rocky...
Drip: capresso aroma...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:11am

If it's really acrylic or Lexan, then the standard glue is just a solvent with a bit of dissolved plastic in it. For that application I would use a very thin solvent based version, but it comes thicker if there is a gap.

I don't know what it's called, but they have it around the corner at the plastic fabrication shop.   Plastic model cement might work. Try it on the bottom edge and if it melts the plastic it will likely work.

Ira

The guy who wrote RoasterThing
www.RoasterThing.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best glue for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.185879945755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+