Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Cant find a Vario with new burrs already installed
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cant find a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
finesNotfine

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 6:15am
Subject: Cant find a Vario with new burrs already installed

Please anybody help,, living in Ireland and going banannas trying to find Anywhere to purchase/order a 2nd edition vario with the new steel/ filter burrs already installed. The mahlkonig website says this is now an option when purchaseing a new grinder. Sound great cause thats exactly what i want. Done all the usuall e-mails but no-body ive found nobody selling this option. Am sure im not the only one in this boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my sieve routine is takeing the joy out of my brews. :)  P.s anybody found any usefull reviews on grind data for these new burrs, like  "marcos uber project" article on Grind Profiles: Baratza. Am sure we would all like to see a comparison between the virtuoso preciso and the steel burred vario as they are the best grind quality vrs money for the bedroom brew bar folks out there,
imo.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Cant find a Vario with new burrs already installed

Sorry I can't really help. But why not just install the new burrs yourself?

Have you seen this HB thread, by the way? To date there's been no explicit comparison of the Preciso and Vario with metal burrs that I've seen, but the discussion over there is helpful in other ways.
finesNotfine

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:56am

Thanks Jbviau, buying the steel burrs and installing them myself is option no.2.  NO.1 is i should be able to purchase this no problem as Mahlkonig say this is an option now(maybe all the suppliers already have pallets of precisos and want to shift them first) Problem being is that it will push the price up by nearly 100e and will have a burr set i do not need. This will be a dedicated filter for my own home use and would find a price tag of nearly 550e a bit hard to hard to swallow. Must have read every thread on this issue and cant find a bad word (apart from the cost) about them. As regards a Preciso vrs Vario comparison, think its about time somebody did one. If it turns out to be a better filter grinder, i think the brewers out there would find this  info extremly usefull . One things for sure, WHEN i finally get my hands on this set-up i plan to do a very in-depth review on it. HD picks , you name it. Thanks Jbviau.
whd2102

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 1:24pm

According to Baratza, the Preciso is clearly the better filter grinder.

I imagine that the Vario with Filter Burrs isn't directly offered because the Vario isn't meant to BE a filter grinder. In other words, the burrs are a hack in order to make the most of a poor filter grinder for those people who *already* have a Vario with espresso burrs. It wouldn't make sense to buy the Vario AS a filter grinder; that's why it's not offered as one out-of-the-box.
finesNotfine

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 3:05pm

Thanks for the response musily,  discussions are always more interesting when their 2-sided.  Would like to know what information your basing this on as I would also like to read up on that side of it as you have obviously read/based your strong opinion on something. I have also read the Baratza statement stating that the Preciso burrs produce less fines than the new steel burrs for the Vario. I find this statement a bit weak due to the fact that they stop there, WHY not go the full hog and specify that that it also has a more unimodal distribusion than the steel burrs. They didn't expand on this, seems a little bit like a not-so-clever debating trick. If its better in all aspects of grinding THEN SAY IT. Also, there's a small army of people out there with these new burrs and they cant find a bad thing to say about them (apart from the price of this set up). This isn't a issue for me as what i really want is an Uber Grinder with the laser cut titanium coated burrs which even blows a Guatemala out of the water (ref. marcos Uber Project) so its seems like the cheaper version for me (come on euromillions!) I also found some interesting/very geeky(lovely) charts on the Baratza's line of particle distribution for their grinders on Marco's Uber Project. Unfortunatly no such graph on the new steel burrs for the Vario exist (this would be conflicting as I think they stock all Baratza grinders apart from the Vario). Another nice blog written by The Other Black Stuff (forum name "Burrs Again") points to the steel burrs producing an excellent cup, comparible to some shop/ bulk grinders. Also, if you would like to type in Second Update Vario into Google you will go to a press release statement from Mahlkonig saying they now give the option of purchasing a Vario with either burr set installed from the go. Thanks for your feedback.
whd2102

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 8:12pm

To be frank, I'm not sure how the discussion is two-sided, since to my knowledge no one has argued that the Vario is better than the Preciso w/r/t a filter grind. All I've heard is that people who swapped their Vario burrs are enthusiastic about the improvement w/r/t filter grinding.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that the Preciso is necessarily better than the Vario w/r/t a filter grind. All I said was that that is Baratza's position--I spoke with the owners. Incidentally, I've used the Preciso and think that it produces a fantastic filter grind. A couple of very well-respected industry folks (i.e., Tasting champions) have told me that the Preciso's grind profile is better than a Ditting, in their opinion.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cant find a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.210520982742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+