Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TMiller

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:45am
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?

AAAustin Said:

You don't need to spend much money to have an excellent coffee maker. My aeropress and hario mini mill (combined, under $65) give me a cup at least as good as better coffee shops and better than most, and there are many good pour-over devices which are even easier to use than an aeropress (I think, fewer variables to fiddle with) and less expensive still (i.e. Melitta #4 cone, $7).

Posted July 31, 2012 link

I checked out the coffee maker that you said you have. I think I might return my Mr. Coffee and get that one. I didn't want to spend money on getting more expensive coffee when I have a low quality coffee maker. I'm pretty sure it's the Mr. Coffee that I have that gives the coffee a plastic taste because my grandparents have a different coffee maker but use Folger's like I do and their coffee even tasted better. I'm probably just going to end up ordering both the Aeropress and a good coffee at the same time.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 12:03pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?

The coffee maker's job is pretty simple, it just had to heat up the water, and then distribute over the coffee.

But, many coffee makers don't heat the water up hot enough, should be around 205 deg.

You can make good coffee with a pour over and something to heat the water up to boiling.  Just let it sit a little bit after boiling, and it should be the right temp for coffee.

But, you really need a grinder, you can get manual grinders that are fine.  I use a hario slim on vacation and with a few little mods it does a good job, even unmodded it will do the trick.  I can make pretty good coffee with fresh beans and a little hotel coffee maker.

Orphan espresso sells manual grinders, or you can try ebay but its a little hit and miss there.  Until you get a burr grinder it's pretty hard to make good coffee, if not impossible, but once you have a grinder it's pretty easy.

Randy
 View Profile Link to this post
TMiller

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 8:09pm

Is the Aeropress a French Press? And what is the difference between an espresso maker and a coffee maker. By the way, if anyone knows a website where I can learn about coffee, would it be possible if you can send me a link. That would be great.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AAAustin

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2012, 8:41pm

They both have "press" in the name and are "immersion" type brewers (coffee and water remain in contact until they are manually separated) but they don't have a whole lot else in common. Getting good results from a french press pretty much requires a top-notch grinder. Aeropress (and pour-over brewers, I doubt you will find too many folks around here that don't have at least one of those) are much more forgiving.

French Press at Wikipedia

espresso is an entirely different beast from brewed coffee:

Espresso at Wikipedia

The short, short version is that espresso is made using high pressure water in small quantities, and requires considerable skill to do well (take a peek in the espresso forums, it's serious stuff)

You are already at a great site for learning about coffee, just browse around in the forums and read a few articles, you'll figure out what you need to know in short order :-)
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:39am

TMiller Said:

By the way, if anyone knows a website where I can learn about coffee, would it be possible if you can send me a link. That would be great.

Posted August 1, 2012 link

Home barista has a good FAQ section, there are links towards the bottom on this page
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Off topic, but I have thought it would be nice for CG to do the same.

Randy
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.217791080475)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+