Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Baratza Preciso and my V60.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
derekfulmer

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 3:23pm
Subject: Baratza Preciso and my V60.

I have been working on my pour over technique with these two machines for a few weeks now and I seem to be going back and forth on the quality of my coffee every other time or so I brew.  For instance, I just made a cup and it tastes weak to me.  My settings were 20 macro and E on the micro adjustment on my preciso.  I'm assuming that my grounds were too small and thus under extracted? This morning I was on 20 macro, and F micro and it tasted better, more body - I think.

For the record I still juggle the how the grind settings equal extraction.  It sometimes confuses me.

Just looking to get some advice from folks who use a similar set up.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 7:25pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso and my V60.

derekfulmer Said:

I have been working on my pour over technique with these two machines for a few weeks now and I seem to be going back and forth on the quality of my coffee every other time or so I brew.  For instance, I just made a cup and it tastes weak to me.  My settings were 20 macro and E on the micro adjustment on my preciso.  I'm assuming that my grounds were too small and thus under extracted? This morning I was on 20 macro, and F micro and it tasted better, more body - I think.

For the record I still juggle the how the grind settings equal extraction.  It sometimes confuses me.

Just looking to get some advice from folks who use a similar set up.

Posted June 9, 2012 link

For pour over coffee, try using the macro settings a bit more. Go finer if it tastes under extracted and coarser if it tastes over extracted. One notch at a time. I personally use settings between 18-22 depending on the coffee and size of brew.

Happy brewing!
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 5:27am

New Preciso owner here too. It took a while to finally dial it in correctly, all the while wifey was giving me the evil look and saying "you said this $300 grinder was going to improve our coffee." Once I hit the sweet spot, all was well. Just this last week, the coffee started to get weak again. The grinder is coupled to an Esatto, so the "morning grind", so to speak, is getting more a little automated and I hadn't noticed that the particle size was all over the spectrum. Now if this was AFTER drinking the coffee, I might have noticed the differences in sizes before brewing. A quick call to Baratza and I find out my serial number is within a range for replacement and a new grinder was shipped the same day. Seems there was a retaining ring that was not installed correctly. Great customer service from Baratza, but more important, take a look at those grinds before dumping them in the brewer. Take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
daveupstateNY
daveupstateNY

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario &...
Vac Pot: Yama 2 & 5 cup
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster CD,...
Roaster: Don't roast ... yet!
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 6:51am

Sam21 Said:

For pour over coffee, try using the macro settings a bit more. Go finer if it tastes under extracted and coarser if it tastes over extracted. One notch at a time. I personally use settings between 18-22 depending on the coffee and size of brew.

Happy brewing!

Posted June 9, 2012 link

+1

Ciao,

Dave
derekfulmer

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:57pm

Thanks for the info, everyone.  Really appreciate it.

On a similar topic, I find that I'm getting a lot of what I think are "fines", or excess particles after EVERY grinding dose.  Is there a way to take care of that or is that just one of the aspects of the Preciso?  I've used the included cleaning tool to clean the grounds shoot every so often, but they still occur daily.
Sam21

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012, 6:44pm

derekfulmer Said:

Thanks for the info, everyone.  Really appreciate it.

On a similar topic, I find that I'm getting a lot of what I think are "fines", or excess particles after EVERY grinding dose.  Is there a way to take care of that or is that just one of the aspects of the Preciso?  I've used the included cleaning tool to clean the grounds shoot every so often, but they still occur daily.

Posted June 11, 2012 link

Fines are an unavoidable product of ground coffee. They occur when a bean is crushed/nibbled/sliced by the burr. The Preciso sets itself apart as it produces very few fines in comparison to other grinders. If you have nothing to compare it too, it may be tough to make a comparison.

Happy brewing!

Sam
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:33am

Derek,

what amount of grounds and water are you using? I have been focusing specifically on the V60 and Preciso for over two years now and might be able to give you some specific tips that work for me.

The most important thing I find with post brew assessment is having a flat spent bed. That is a good indicator of a 19-20% extraction (my ideal area). I also shoot for 2:30-3:30 brew times for 20-40g grounds

I use 30g of coffee and grind it around 23F with a 3min brew time (I'm always playing around 8)
I stir while brewing more than most which is why I tend to grind more coarse than others.

On another note, I knock the body of the grinder after the beans have ground but it is still running to knock any rogue grounds out and into the cup I'm going to use and give the lid a few taps too. That will help clear the chute out.

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
derekfulmer

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 9:41pm

theCoffeeScientist Said:

Derek,

what amount of grounds and water are you using? I have been focusing specifically on the V60 and Preciso for over two years now and might be able to give you some specific tips that work for me.

The most important thing I find with post brew assessment is having a flat spent bed. That is a good indicator of a 19-20% extraction (my ideal area). I also shoot for 2:30-3:30 brew times for 20-40g grounds

I use 30g of coffee and grind it around 23F with a 3min brew time (I'm always playing around 8)
I stir while brewing more than most which is why I tend to grind more coarse than others.

On another note, I knock the body of the grinder after the beans have ground but it is still running to knock any rogue grounds out and into the cup I'm going to use and give the lid a few taps too. That will help clear the chute out.

Posted June 19, 2012 link

I am using between 28 and 35 grams of coffee with between 350 and 415 grams of water.  Writing that out just now sounds to me like it is a HUGE variance in h2o, which could probably account for something. I am brewing with a 30-45 second bloom, which i sometimes seem to not succeed at, either my coffee is just out of date or something else. (I buy fresh coffee at local roasters/shops regularly and if i need a quick bag I go to the whole foods down the street and get the most recently roasted bag).

I'm dialing in my grind settings still, which I feel like I shouldn't be.  But, it is a process and a fine tuning of sorts.
j123

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 5:52am

theCoffeeScientist Said:

Derek,

Posted June 19, 2012 link

Can you point to a video of this technique? The pour must be very slow for the bed to remain flat?
Sam21

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 6:20am

When he says the bed remains flat, I believe he is talking about keeping the bed of coffee very low in the dripper. There are many cafes in New England that follow this methodology. By pouring very slowly in circles (pulse pouring or a continuous pour), you are able to keep the water very very low in the dripper. The resulting coffee bed looks like this: \_/ ... but there is only an inch or less of grounds on the wall of the filter... highly any left high and dry.

Here is the continuous method: http://vimeo.com/11850574 - a second vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQdI72h8xMg

Here is the pulse pouring method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjx3y9mUwM - a second video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-WJ8_b5Ko a third video Click Here (how2heroes.com)

The George Howell V60 method is a good one to start with. That is the third video under pulse pouring. Here is a PDF of their method: Click Here (www.terroircoffee.com)

I have personally used both methods with great success. I made a cup this morning using a pulse pour method. I used #20 on the Baratza, 22g/360ml. 201 degree water. I pre-infused ~40ml and let it bloom for 30 seconds. Then I started slow and steady pours keeping the bed of coffee low, but never allowing it to completely drain. I ended my pour around 2:30-2:40 and the dripper was empty by 3min. The resulting cup was fantastically sweet and fruity. I used this method with no flow restricter on my Buono kettle. It takes practice, but that's part of the fun.

Happy brewing!
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.316854000092)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+