Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Source for Cloth filter w/hole in center for Hario?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Source for Cloth...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 7:09pm
Subject: Source for Cloth filter w/hole in center for Hario?

I have a screw together filter that takes the paper filter or a mesh screen. I'd like to also try a round cloth filter that has the hole in the middle to fit the stainless filter holder.

Is there a U.S source for these filters?  

I saw some for sale on an Australian site...about $9 plus about $9 shipping, but could not get to the payment page(Sorrentina, I believe)

Anyone know where to find some?

And, if you have actually used them (the ones with the hole) how do you find that they work?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 5:49am
Subject: Re: Source for Cloth filter w/hole in center for Hario?

Go to your local sewing/cloth store and buy the smallest quantity of muslin cloth you can buy, likely about half a yard, you will spend about two bucks and if you have a pair of scissors you will have a life time supply of filters.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Silas

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 7:12am

calblacksmith Said:

Go to your local sewing/cloth store and buy the smallest quantity of muslin cloth you can buy, likely about half a yard, you will spend about two bucks and if you have a pair of scissors you will have a life time supply of filters.

Posted July 13, 2012 link

I was wondering about that, myself!!  All it looks like is a piece of cloth cut in a circle with a hole in the middle.  Muslin must be about the right thread count.  

In that case, I could just use a NEW one each time and throw it away....not worry about washing it and putting it in the fridge. Wonder if anyone else with a vac pot actually does this.

I thought that the ones you buy must be finished off with a seam at the edges.  But not having seen one, I couldn't tell.
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 7:58am

calblacksmith Said:

Posted July 13, 2012 link

Don't forget a hole punch! But yeah, this. Also, take a Chemex filter and unfold it, and use it as a template for cutting a larger square or circle of cloth, and presto - cloth cone filter for drip!

--Josh
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Jul 13, 2012, 8:50am

If you are going to throw away each time, a seam is not so important. It is there to prevent the filter from falling apart at the edges. Back "in the day" when vac pots were very common, it was a normal task for a home maker to make the filters herself (not to be sexist but that is the way it was) sewing the edges isn't a hard thing to do so hem them if you wish. You likely would want to pre wash the fabric though to remove anything on it and to "season" it or just make sure there is no sizing or cotton dust to spoil the taste of your coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Silas

Posted Sun Jul 15, 2012, 1:59pm

I DID find a pack of 5 cloth filters on "the Bay."  No holes in it, but, I learned that all I had to do was unscrew the TOP of the 2 piece metal filter holder and use the BOTTOM for a wrap around cloth filter. DUH!! That was a little embarrasing epiphany!

I still feel that a simple cloth cut out sandwiched between the 2 metal discs would probably do as well....that's another experiment. Cheap enough to throwaway and not worry with.

But, I splurged and bought the pack to see how they are made and of what particular cloth.  I'll play around with these.

And, today I tried out the Hario with my CONA glass rod.....worked very well!  I was surprised.  I dropped my CORY rod into the Hario and it seemed to fit ok too, but just barely!

Now I get to try out ALL of these possibilities:  Paper filter, cloth, glass, and a metal mesh I have coming in from Sweet Maria's (although I'm not sure if I ordered the right size!!)

JP...I also have some Chemex paper filters.....those should be great paper material.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Jul 16, 2012, 7:09am

Just barley is all you need! Like I said, the glass rod is my fav. All the coffee has to give with as little as possible between me and the cup.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Source for Cloth...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252603054047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+