Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Vacuum pot..drip...drip...
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vacuum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: Vacuum pot..drip...drip...

Thanks for *all* replies, guys. I'm leaning toward the grind as the culprit. As my mill is probably several centuries old, I may have to resort to grinding my stuff at the store. (Oh, the top stays off, as I use it as the stand it's meant to be. After reading about one of these things popping, I'm trying to avoid making a mess in the kitchen...and my face!)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 4:57pm

keep in mind that if you're grinding coffee at the store and taking it home to use, it will be stale.

actually, it will likely be stale even if you dont grind it there.  the stuff at most supermarkets have been sitting on the shelves for a lot longer than is optimal.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 5:22pm

Even if the store is four blocks away? The whole bean, according to the Coffee Guy that stocks it, is from a local roaster & changed out every two weeks. So *he* says.
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 6:12pm

I"ve been very interested in this thread, being a new Vac pot user, too.  Have the Cona "C" and a Hario Nouveau 3 cup on the way.

Keep It Simple:  How long do you keep it brewing "up North?"  AMA Writer commented on his time.  At what grind?

I'm still experimenting with different grinds and up North times.  I finally had one stall on the Cona....Not sure what happened. Next pot, I made a coarser grind and it was perfect.

But several have commented on  trying a "finer" grind than drip.  Going to experiment that.

I see the Yama pot doesn't stall!  Great!   I'm thinking the Hario Nouveau with the included filter won't ever have a problem, either.   I ordered a stainless mesh filter for it to swap back and forth.

Heard lots of good things about the old Silex!!  

By the way, I like the tip of putting the heat on again if there is a stall to drive the fines out!  I just let mine slooooooowly drip, also.
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 1:02am

IMAWriter Said:

Alan, your post must have showed up whilst I was slowly typing mine!!

Dave, Alan is a MOST respected coffee professional, and I would certainly view any materials he has on the subject.
I might interject that all these beastie brewers have their little quirks, and the additional of multiple filter options increases that quirkiness.

That said, I think you might want to consider the most dependable vac pot I've ever used, the Yama stove top.
Absolutely FOOLPROOF. Terrific gasket design.
They come in 5 cup and 8 cup (40oz, Texas size! LOL)
Just Google Yama vacuum brewer, etc.

In over 100 uses, with 4 different grinders, I've NEVER had a stuck pot, not even CLOSE.
As Alan said, it's looking like your grinder, or the grind itself could be the issue.

Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

Posted July 7, 2012 link

Dunno about "most respected" but certainly approaching "most ancient". I just did a quick bit of arithmetic and realised I've brewed over 200,000 vac pots so far, mostly in model "A" Conas. The important brewing parameters are the same as for drip or plunger coffee, i.e. coffee to water ratio, brew temperature, steep time and grind size.

Alan

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 1:15am

Silas Said:

Keep It Simple:  How long do you keep it brewing "up North?"  AMA Writer commented on his time.  At what grind?

Posted July 7, 2012 link

~ 2 minutes + draw down time which is probably about 30 seconds or so.  Provided you don't go a lot longer than that it doesn't seem to affect the brew very much.  (2 minutes is convenient as well 'cos that's how long my toaster takes to do 4 slices at breakfast, so it's useful to let that give me the signal ;o)  

Grind - don't have any of the kit necessary to do the kind of precise analysis some folk do, but I use the same grind as for drip, although I think that is slightly on the finer side of what most people use.

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 1:22am

alanfrew Said:

Dunno about "most respected" but certainly approaching "most ancient". I just did a quick bit of arithmetic and realised I've brewed over 200,000 vac pots so far, mostly in model "A" Conas. .....

Posted July 8, 2012 link

Model "A" ! - have coveted one of those for years, but they're all but unobtainable over here ;o(  Would be ideal for my breakfast cuppa if I'm on my own.

Wish Cona would put them back in production (the Model"B" as well, although I have got hold of a couple of those).

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 1:33am

TheBigDripper Said:

Thanks for *all* replies, guys. I'm leaning toward the grind as the culprit. As my mill is probably several centuries old, I may have to resort to grinding my stuff at the store. (Oh, the top stays off, as I use it as the stand it's meant to be. After reading about one of these things popping, I'm trying to avoid making a mess in the kitchen...and my face!)

Posted July 7, 2012 link

You wouldn't need to spend a great deal on a grinder that is up to the job. For anything other than espresso, I use a fairly low-end Dualit grinder (which is a badged version of the Solis 166, aka Starbucks Barista) and that works fine.  In the US I think there are several options in the same sort of price range sold by Baratza or similar.  

The Grinder reviews on here will help you. Bear in mind you don't have to get a grinder that's up to doing espresso anyway.

Don't worry about putting the top on, BTW - a lot of brewers don't come with one anyway.
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 8:04am

__________ Said:

~ 2 minutes + draw down time which is probably about 30 seconds or so.  Provided you don't go a lot longer than that it doesn't seem to affect the brew very much.  (2 minutes is convenient as well 'cos that's how long my toaster takes to do 4 slices at breakfast, so it's useful to let that give me the signal ;o)  

Grind - don't have any of the kit necessary to do the kind of precise analysis some folk do, but I use the same grind as for drip, although I think that is slightly on the finer side of what most people use.

Posted July 8, 2012 link

Thanks for the tip!  I ground to the coarsest medium setting and steeped for 1minute, 20 seconds with a 30 second drawdown. So, about 2 minutes, as you suggested.

Coffee was PERFECT!!  Came right down in a few seconds and no hint of a stall!

I think I have a good formula for the present.

Posted Mon Jul 9, 2012, 8:54am

Glad it worked for you.

I think there's as much "black art" as science about using these sorts of pots, but once you've got a base process that works for you pretty well locked down, a bit of experimentation with the grind/timing variables etc. and trying the result is easy to do.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vacuum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318253040314)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+