Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Glass funnel for CONA hot water carafe fills?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Glass funnel for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Silas

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 6:19pm
Subject: Glass funnel for CONA hot water carafe fills?

My first post! I'm expecting a CONA Model C in a few days and am excited over all the good advice on the forum.  

I plan to heat the water on the stove first and pour it into the bottom carafe as to speed up the process using the provided spirit burner.

Others have said that the bottom carafe has a small opening and one is likely to spill some hot water either on their hands or on the carafe itself.  

I've seen suggestions as to using a GLASS FUNNEL to make sure all goes well in pouring the hot water in the bottom carafe.  

I like the all glass approach and would like to use the glass funnel. My question is:  what size funnel should I use?  What do people who own Conas, use?

I saw some ribbed models on ebay, but looked kind of pricey.  Should I be looking at Pyrex?  

8oz or 16oz or what?  

Or, am I being a little too cautious and all should go well, just pouring it from a pot?
 View Profile Link to this post

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 9:01pm
Subject: Re: Glass funnel for CONA hot water carafe fills?

The bottom carafe is perfectly safe to use directly on the stove to heat the water that way if you like. It is identical to the stovetop model anyway.  OK directly on gas, but use a heat spreader on an electric stove.

Are you using a glass kettle/jug of some type to heat the water ? If so, can sorta see why you'd like a glass funnel. But if you're heating it in a steel kettle in the first place, you may as well use a s/s funnel.

The "advantage" that Cona claim is that the brewed coffee does not touch metal, not the initial water.  I'm not convinced it makes much if any difference anyway though (and I have several of them which I use all the time).

Yes, the neck of the bottom bowl is quite narrow.  You need a steady hand to free pour into it.

Hope you enjoy using it and the coffee it makes.
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 9:53pm
Subject: Re: Glass funnel for CONA hot water carafe fills?

Thanks for the tip!

Hadn't thought you could heat the water filled bottom carafe on my electric stove with coils.  Maybe that's a better way.  I'll look for a diffuser.  I thought the bottom of the carafe was round.  Of course, I've never seen one up close so I'll find out pretty soon when it arrives.

I'm using a steel camping tea kettle to heat the water on the stove, so I guess a steel funnel would also be the same as you say.  

I just jumped head first into the coffee thing and bought 3 coffeemakers at the same time:  the Bonavita, the Chemex, and the Cona.  I've had the Bonavita and Chemex about a week and have made what I consider excellent coffee in both.

I just thought the Cona would be a great showpiece when friends/family visits.  I've had some rave comments on my first Chemex tries! The Cona will be the extra "Wow" factor!

I'll have to figure out the grind and such, but I was just wondering if anyone used a glass funnel.  Heating on the stove would eliminate that extra step.  

I'll certainly try it that way!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Glass funnel for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184602975845)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+