Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Storing measured doses
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Storing measured...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
chiroptera

Expertise: I love coffee

Drip: Aeropress, Melitta CM 6/4
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 2:48pm
Subject: Storing measured doses

I want to store small one cup doses of coffee to reduce the time I spend making coffee in the morning. I grind everything at the store, and when I come home I want to separate into doses for the whole bag (1/4 to 1 lbs.) Are there any good ways to store these small amounts?
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 3:22pm
Subject: Re: Storing measured doses

chiroptera Said:

Are there any good ways to store these small amounts?

Posted June 11, 2012 link

Get a precision scale.  Take the pre-ground coffee and measure out into 16 g samples and place each in a small ziploc baggie. Then take them all and throw them in the garbage.
Joking aside, people on this forum believe that coffee must be ground just prior to use. Preground is not ok. Saving time in the morning is a great idea, but is always trumped by basic ideologies like fresh ground coffee.  That being said, I open a bag of whole bean (1 or 5lb bag) and separate into small 1/4 - 1/2 lb ziploc baggies, suck out the air and seal, then place back into original bag and place in freezer. I thaw 1 bag at a time and bring out a new bag when the other is almost done, to ensure constant supply of fresh whole beans.  You could do the same with ground if you like, but do yourself a favor and buy a burr grinder.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 4:07pm

Devin,
Great discription of storing preground micro doses!

Honestly though if the Kai values ease of use over great coffee that much (we all have our priorities) he would be a good  candidate for a single serve machine that uses K cups. The quality will be higher than the storage plan and the ease of use will be there in spades.

There is no shame with those machines when that is your top value.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
chiroptera

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 4:12pm

I would be ashamed to use K cups. Anyway, does freshly ground coffee mean coffee that is ground the same day? Or is it within a few days?
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 4:44pm

chiroptera Said:

I would be ashamed to use K cups.

Ashamed in front of who? I doubt it would be any worse than using pre-ground. Yes, grinding in the store turns it into pre-ground.

chiroptera Said:

Anyway, does freshly ground coffee mean coffee that is ground the same day? Or is it within a few days?

It means it was ground immediately before brewing.

I would suggest doing a little searching through older topics in these forums. Wealth of information.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 4:47pm

chiroptera Said:

I would be ashamed to use K cups. Anyway, does freshly ground coffee mean coffee that is ground the same day? Or is it within a few days?

law of 15's:
15 months from picking
15 days from roasting
15 minutes from grinding

That means not buying supermarket coffee. Need an artisan roaster (many listed on this site under recommended roasters). And grind with a burr grinder. I see you use the aeropress.  A hario mini hand mill is what I pair mine with at work (but this will increase your prep time, not decrease it).  But like I tell everyone that gives me the stare down when they see me grinding, is that the extra time in prep is actually part of the enjoyment of this craft.  Even if the coffee tasted the same, I would swear it tasted better because of the sweat and tears put into the preparation.  And it does taste better. Much better. Or get an electric version like baratza encore. Orphan espresso has many great hand grinder options.  But again, this is a great tangent from your original attempt to make life easier.  Like most things in life, better is never easier. And take some time to smell the roses.....or coffee.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 4:49pm
Subject: ...

yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 5:23pm

I've tried pre-ground coffee a few times when I didn't want to drag a grinder along to somewhere that I was making coffee with mixed results.

The problem was not in staling, at least not for coffee that I planned to use that day, but more of knowing in advance how much coffee I'm really going to use.  I tried a little flip top lid jar that would hold enough ground coffee for an espresso shot, but I seem to remember having trouble getting all the fine coffee grounds out of the container.  I've also tried ziplocks for brewed coffee and that seemed to work ok, but if I didn't have a cup of coffee then I'd wasted the ground espresso or coffee.

Nowadays I usually just grind at work with a hand-grinder but I'll still sometimes grind in advance when I'm going over to my in-law's house and brewing coffee.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 6:08pm

Netphilosopher Said:

I think someone here did their own investigation and found they couldn't tell the difference between well-stored preground coffee and freshly ground coffee until 3ish days...

^^^ This has been my experience, too. If you start with fresh coffee and grind directly into a Ball jar or similar, sealing it up well, you'll be good to go for at least a day. I don't pre-grind habitually, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if the need arose and my travel grinder were unavailable for some reason.
chiroptera

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 8:24pm

diggi Said:

law of 15's:
15 months from picking
15 days from roasting
15 minutes from grinding

That means not buying supermarket coffee. Need an artisan roaster (many listed on this site under recommended roasters). And grind with a burr grinder. I see you use the aeropress.  A hario mini hand mill is what I pair mine with at work (but this will increase your prep time, not decrease it).  But like I tell everyone that gives me the stare down when they see me grinding, is that the extra time in prep is actually part of the enjoyment of this craft.  Even if the coffee tasted the same, I would swear it tasted better because of the sweat and tears put into the preparation.  And it does taste better. Much better. Or get an electric version like baratza encore. Orphan espresso has many great hand grinder options.  But again, this is a great tangent from your original attempt to make life easier.  Like most things in life, better is never easier. And take some time to smell the roses.....or coffee.

Getting an electric grinder is something I'm working on.  I'm a busy person, and I like to save time.

Anyway, I haven't found a way practice your law of 15's without freezing the coffee. The roasters I've found don't sell in amounts less than 1 pound. That's around 2 months of coffee for me. My options are 1) I buy small amounts from a market every week or two; 2) I buy a pound from a roaster and use it for month; 3) I buy a pound from a roaster and discard what I don't use in 2 weeks.

What I've done in the past is buy whole beans from a roaster and freeze in 4 evenly divided bags. I don't like the taste around month 2.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Storing measured...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32900094986)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+