Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > .  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 9:38am
Subject: .

View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 9:41am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Coffee Extraction Discussion, Questions for the membership:

Netphilosopher Said:

That's planning about 18 cups of coffee initially (3 steep times X 2 Temperatures X 3 grind levels).  Maybe a mid-temperature if required.

Posted June 1, 2012 link

That makes 27 cups. Does brew ratio affect extraction rate? Agitation? What about degree of roast? If you include those as variables you'll need to brew 3^6 cups. And if you insist on at least one replication per case that makes... more than year's worth of coffee!

Netphilosopher Said:

On the high strike temp brews, this grounds drop at this grind level happens around 2-3 minutes.  With the lower temperature, the grounds drop around 6 minutes.  I'm wondering if this is a potential signal that the brew is approaching equilibrium.

Posted June 1, 2012 link

Or how long it takes them to fully infuse with water. If infusion rate is what is limiting extraction on large particles then it might be the same thing.

Netphilosopher Said:

So, now I've found a way to determine maximum extraction - go ahead and brew, and then brew some more until you can't.  Keep track of everything you extract.

Posted June 1, 2012 link

At this point would it be easier and possibly more accurate to oven dehydrate the grounds?

By the way, how well can you correlate extraction yield from oven dehydration with what your refractometer tells you? To what extent can you simply take what you've filtered out of the beverage and add that to the dried grounds to get the same number? And what kind of filtering do you need to do to achieve this?

I'm curious because when I measure extraction yield of a moka pot brew through dehydration the value is always high even when the coffee tastes sour. I know there are a fair amount of solids in moka coffee; is it enough to simply filter the coffee through an Aeropress or does too much pass through this way?
Netphilosopher

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 2:11pm

Netphilosopher

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 2:37pm

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:46am

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 8:53am

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 9:05am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Coffee Extraction Discussion, Questions for the membership:

Netphilosopher Said:

So, bottom line is dehydration will carry some error with it unless you filter it with a VST filter or centrifuge the sample.  The grounds drying will be somewhat close, but will also carry the error as well, with no way to recover it.  Unfortunately, this error will be dependent on the filter, the grind size and how much fines are produced with the grind.

Posted June 2, 2012 link

That's what I thought. I'm disappointed in that it seems that I cannot expect to reliably adjust for it.

For moka coffee it might make sense to use solids yield like with espresso, instead of extraction. But to calculate the beverage strength you need to know how much of those extracted solids are dissolved versus undissolved.

Which leads to the question, how does mojo/VST do it?

With a refractometer all you know is the TDS from the filtered sample. The only way to determine the amount of undissolved solids, aside from dehydration, is through some function that relates dose and TDS to total solids. If you can do this with espresso why couldn't you do it with moka?

Or am I misunderstanding how mojo/VST works?
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2012, 1:50pm

showing page 9 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > .  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278949022293)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+