Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 1:39pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 5:04pm
Subject: Re: Calling All VST Refractometer Owners - A Brewing Challenge:

You sure you aren't David Walsh?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 7:21pm

Netphilosopher Said:

The challenge is do a press pot brew that achieves 5.2% strength or higher using 18% brew ratio.

Posted May 17, 2012 link

Typical third wave coffees are lightly roasted and harder to extract. It the roast was a little off, it will be even harder to extract (this happens often, unfortunately).

Have you tried a dark roast? Starbucks might have just what you need. I think it is fairly easy to get extraction numbers much higher with a dark roast compared to your typical bleeding edge light roast.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:38am

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:48am

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 7:32am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:14am

I don't have a VST refractometer (or a press pot for that matter) so I'm technically disqualified. I also suspect that Netphilosopher has tried this at least half a dozen times in his Coffee Research Utility Kitchen, so it's probably near to impossible if not impossible.

But I made a half-hearted attempt anyways. I bought some pre-ground coffee while traveling last month that I don't like at all. It's sitting in the freezer for just this sort of thing.

I added 36.0g (it's a drip grind) to 175g of hot water.
Simmered and stirred in a saucepan for 8 min.
Poured into inverted Aeropress.
Used enough additional hot water to rinse coffee from pan and utensil into AP and top up to 236g total slurry weight (18% brew ratio).
Pressed.

148g beverage, 87g wet grounds (1g went missing).

Dried the grounds in the oven for a little over 2 hours until weight stablized. Cooled: 29.8g
That's a yield of 17.2% and a beverage strength of 4.2% (including some undissolved solids).

Not even close.

By Netphilosopher's theory the effective extraction was only 24%, less than what I'd have guessed I'd get by boiling grounds for 8 minutes.

Now the really weird thing is that although the coffee was way too bitter, it was also delicious. I drank it.
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:17am

Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 11:01am

GlennV

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 2:51pm

I did had a go, with a criminally over roasted sidamo, espresso grind, 8 mins in a bain-marie to keep the temperature up, and it only got to 4.6%. Underextracted by all the usual formulae using a 2g/g water lost or retained ratio - I didn't dare taste it! I do find the argument for using all the brew water for extraction yield calculations, for immersion methods,  pretty compelling. What I don't understand, though, is how this squares with the fact that those with far more tasting experience than me are recommending 19-20% yields for both drip and immersion methods, with the usual formulae. For example, the Nick Cho video on youtube showing his clever dripper technique would come out at about 22% yield using all the brew water for the calculation ("Gold + Paper + Clever", which is certainly a full immersion technique as he pulls the grinds out of the brew in a Gold filter before the drawdown).
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245499134064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+