Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Tastes like hay?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Tastes like hay?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:10am
Subject: Tastes like hay?

I have a recently roasted expensive bag of coffee that, to my mind, smells and tastes like hay,
both the beans and the brewed beverage.

Is this a characteristic of certain types of coffee or certain roasts that is considered desirable?

I personally don't find it desirable.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:39am
Subject: Re: Tastes like hay?

Based on nothing more than the info stated above, I would guess that they are under roasted. The "grass" type of flavor is very common to under roasted beans.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:46am

So it's a flaw? Probably an error by the roaster?

What additional information would be useful?
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 2:15pm

Roast date, roaster, perhaps harvest date. Old crop beans that have been sitting in jute for a long time, or improperly stored, can taste vegetal and grassy, haylike. I agree that it's more likely they were under-roasted or a bit baked.
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 4:28pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

Roast date, roaster, perhaps harvest date. Old crop beans that have been sitting in jute for a long time, or improperly stored, can taste vegetal and grassy, haylike. I agree that it's more likely they were under-roasted or a bit baked.

Posted March 27, 2012 link

Roasted: March 22
Roaster: Ritual (SF, CA)
Harvest Date: ?

Label: "Kaliluni Peaberry - Kenya"
Producer: Kaliluni Farmers Co-Op Society
Altitude: 1850-2100 MASL
Varietal: SL28, SL34
Flavors: Dried Rasperry, Formosa Oolong, Roasted Chestnuts

My first impression was more like grain husks or straw. Otherwise fairly bland.

And my point is not to pick on Ritual as I've purchased coffee beans from them before that I really enjoyed.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 4:42pm

Yeah, interesting. Fresh roast, likely a fresh crop, and Ritual is typically a reputable dealer. I know a few folks that have complained about their roasts before, but rather that they were uneven or too dark. I will say though, oolong and chestnuts makes me think it might be a fairly light roast anyway, to preserve the more delicate notes Kenyans are often graced with. I wonder if you may need to tweak your brewing parameters. Would you care to provide your brewing process?
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 6:30pm

That's what I was wondering about: should this coffee smell like hay and taste like it too? Maybe it's expected and even savored by people who understand a lot more about coffee than I do, which is to say, a lot of people.

One of the things that struck me was that the usually wonderful aroma of freshly ground coffee was almost completely missing when I ground this stuff.

My brewing process of late:

Inverted Aeropress, preheated with 50C water
About 22 grams of beans ground "fine" with a Kyocera hand grinder
Add 150-160g of water just off the boil, stir like crazy for 10-15 seconds
Add more water to top up to 208-209g total
Total steep time 110-120 seconds, then a quick plunge through rinsed paper filter --> about 186g of coffee

Surely there's plenty of room for improvement in my technique. But if there is a way to squeeze blood from this stone I'd sure like to know. Otherwise it will soon be an expensive addition to the compost bin.

edit: Just out of curiosity (I'm not going to try it), would it make any sense to re-roast under roasted beans?
jpender
jpender

Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 4:35pm

Another coffee that tastes like hay!

I've been buying a locally roasted Yirgacheffe recently that has been really wonderful. It's been so forgiving of brew technique, always tasting great no matter what I did. But the last batch I purchased was different.

Can you hear a difference in an electric grinder? I have a hand grinder and I can feel how hard the beans are. It's a measure of the degree of roast. This last batch was hard. And the aroma of the freshly ground coffee which usually is Nirvana to me was bland instead.

I brewed the coffee and shortly thereafter I was drinking "hay" again. If I wanted herbal tea that's what I'd buy and it wouldn't cost as much. The cup went cold without being finished.

Do home roasters have this issue? Or are your results more consistent?
I really get frustrated with expensive gourmet coffee that isn't.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Tastes like hay?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259145021439)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+