Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
water softener salt question
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > water softener...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
alex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super HX
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 12:20pm
Subject: water softener salt question

I am restoring a commercial machine, and got one of these kind of water softeners to go with it. http://www.espressoparts.com/V_104 I know nothing about them, and just read on how to recharge it with rock salt. Its a used unit and im not sure if it needs recharging but when it does will salt in the following link be ok?
Click Here (www.canadiantire.ca)

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 8:20am
Subject: Re: water softener salt question

To see if the unit you have needs recharging, just test the effluent (water coming out of it) for hardness.  If it's too hard, then yes, recharge with salt.  I would expect the salt you've pictured to be ok.  Just make sure it's pure salt (no additives).  Also, it should say something like potable or food safe on the package, and if so, it will definitely be ok.  If you can't find supporting info on a product page, call the manufacturer to make sure...you don't want to use salt processed for de-icing your driveway and it's always better safe than sorry.

Do you understand the recharging process?  If not, you can probably get live support from one of the many online coffee equipment sites.  I would expect they'd be happy to walk you through it over the phone.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 9:43am

I have and use that ( or one just like it) one. You can use that salt with no problem. Here in the US I can buy a bag of salt for about $5 FOR A 25# BAG at. The home center big box store.

You can download all the instructions online on how to service it.  That bag of salt will last two lifetimes for you and a single espresso machine.

You will not hurt it by charging it regardless if it needs it or not so just do it. A single charge lasts me about a year of use. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 10:51am

oh, that's good to hear, Wayne.  I've been "storing" one of those commercial softeners for several years.  first, I got it for my Silvia, and I was going to do an autofill mod on the reservoir.  Then we moved, and my coffee station was about 10 feet from plumbing.  Then we moved again, and plumbing is even farther.  I got so far as to ask a plumber for an estimate on running plumbing to my current location, where I would also cut a hole in the granite next to my Duetto for a sink.  Of course, I've been waiting for that estimate for a couple of months now.  Well, eventually,, it's gonna happen and I'll finally get to install my softener (and stop filling reservoirs and emptying drip trays)!

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 8:19am

Ron,
You will enjoy the softener a LOT. The instructions are actually in the pictures on the link. All the instructions you need are right there.

Depending on your water it will last longer or shorter but for my situation, it is rated for about 900 L of water and it all is going through my espresso machine and refer for ice. By FAR the biggest use is my espresso machine. 900 L of water is quite a bit, it translates to 237.75 U.S. Gallons. My use of water through my espresso machine is about 8 gal a month, add in a little for the ice maker and it is an easy year between charges. I also have a sediment and carbon filter in line and I am quite happy with the quality of my water.

As Always, YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 9:16am

Thanks Wayne,

You put the softener downstream from the sediment and carbon filtration, correct?

GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 9:48am

emradguy Said:

Thanks Wayne,

You put the softener downstream from the sediment and carbon filtration, correct?

Posted May 24, 2012 link

I don't....I have the following setup:

Water Supply --> Pressure Regulator --> Softener --> Filter --> Espresso Machine

I want the filter as the last piece in line to prevent anything from getting to the espresso machine.

My softener does double duty....I also run the output to the furnace humidifier as well as my espresso setup.  Keeps the humidifer free of scale, and I feel better running more water through it to keep is fresher all around.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 5:29am

Yes, I have my softener last in the chain. The pellets the media is made from are WAY too big to do anything but sit still in the canister and it was easier to plumb in the other filters first for me. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 6:31am

calblacksmith Said:

Yes, I have my softener last in the chain. The pellets the media is made from are WAY too big to do anything but sit still in the canister and it was easier to plumb in the other filters first for me. YMMV!

Posted May 25, 2012 link

Only problem with that though....while salt is usually quite pure, any sediment added from the salt/recharge procedure can get through to the machine.  Highly unlikely...but possible.

G

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 5:33am

I guess it might be possible if you do not finish the charge routine properly, but the recharge process flushes water through the softener media for about an hour, until all of the salt is dissolved and gone. A test you use while recharging the softener is to taste the discharge water and if you taste any salt at all, you flush more. The process charges the media, there isn't supposed to be any physical salt in the device at all, the salt (if I remember the process correctly) Is to alter the ions of the media, once the media has changed, the salt is of no further use and is flushed out of the system. As there is no salt in the system, there should be no sediment in the system, nor is there any salt absorbed into the media.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > water softener...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286576032639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+