Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Gasket sealed container or one-way valve pouch for storing coffee?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Gasket sealed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
chigen5

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 6, 2012, 9:03am
Subject: Gasket sealed container or one-way valve pouch for storing coffee?

New to coffeegeek forums. I was recently given an opaque airtight gasket sealed coffee jar. Up till now I have just been keeping my WHOLE beans in the original pouch with the one way seal valve and making sure I squeeze the air out of it as much as possible everyday I open it.

My questions is this: Although the pouch may not be airtight I am able to squeeze all the air out, at least for that day. With the jar, however, it may be airtight, but what about all that air that stays trapped in the container in the empty space between the level of the beans and the lid? Also is it better to store beans in containers with the one-way valve.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
VernS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 7:23am
Subject: Re: Gasket sealed container or one-way valve pouch for storing coffee?

One-way valves are used by many roasters to permit packaging freshly roasted beans and not having to wait a couple days for the out gassing to subside. The gases given off during this initial stage of the stalling of the beans would burst sealed packaging if it were not for the valve.
There is another possible use for the valve once you have the beans at home and past this stage, but I need to know if your original pouch has a resealable opening such as the Ziploc zipper style.
Once I have that information I can give you a better answer.
chigen5

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 5:07pm

no it is just a typical coffee pouch with the bendable wire to keep the opening closed. But what do you think about that layer of air that would be trapped between the level of coffee beans and the lid of the airtight cannisters?
wsikes
wsikes

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Promac MD-64 AT
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 5:25pm

chigen5 Said:

My questions is this: Although the pouch may not be airtight I am able to squeeze all the air out, at least for that day. With the jar, however, it may be airtight, but what about all that air that stays trapped in the container in the empty space between the level of the beans and the lid? Also is it better to store beans in containers with the one-way valve.

Posted May 6, 2012 link

When you first place fresh-roasted beans in a mason jar, there will be some airspace that does include some oxygen in it.  However, as the beans de-gas they will force the oxygen to the top of the jar since CO2 is much heavier than O2.  When the de-gassing beans cause a pressure build-up inside the jar, you will "burp" the jar and release most of the O2.  This is true as long as you are holding the jar in an upright position during the "burp" and not  moving the jar around a lot (which would cause the CO2 and the O2 to become mixed temporarily).  A good analogy is a jar of muddy water that has sat long enough for the sediment to settle to the bottom of the jar. If you are not careful in handling the jar you will "muddy the water" so to speak.
With careful handling, burping the jar is an effective way of ridding the jar of most of the O2.
One more thing... the seal on the ziplock bag with the one-way valve is a pretty good seal, but it is nowhere as good a seal as the one the mason jar provides.  The difference in the life of the roasted bean may not differ very much from one of these methods to the other, but for home storage I prefer the jars and for shipping beans I prefer the bags.
Hope this helps a little... remember, YMMV (that's called CYA... lol)

EDIT: Oops... you said you are using the bags with the wire seal.  Mason jars are far superior to this kind of bag... IMHO...

Bill
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Mon May 7, 2012, 6:21pm

[no it is just a typical coffee pouch with the bendable wire to keep the opening closed. But what do you think about that layer of air that would be trapped between the level of coffee beans and the lid of the airtight cannisters?[x]

Since I'm assuming you do no roast your own beans and it is at least a few days since they were roasted, I think you are right to be concerned about the layer of air above the beans in the canister. Some people buy multiple sizes of cannisters so they can use the smallest size possible, as they use the beans, and keep the air to a minimum. I use an airtight cannister with vacuum pump built into the lid. If I'll be opening it within a couple days, I depress the large button about 10 times. You have not mentioned a pump so I'll assume your cannister does not have one.
If you can improve the seal on your pouch I would continue with your method of evacuating as much air as possible from the bag. To improve the seal I would try a large plastic bag clamp of the type that hinge at one end and latch at the other. One that I have has KLIPPO printed on it and the Ikea ones are called BEVARA, but they may be to small. If your beans are very fresh, then I expect that some of the members with their own roasters and much more experience than me, will have better advice.
TheBigDripper
TheBigDripper
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 6-cup moka pot
Grinder: Vintage Zassenhaus
Drip: Too many too list
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 4:40pm

Which is why I buy only one week's worth of beans at a time.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 5:39am

Then the issue isn't really all that big. Beans give off gas strongly in the first several days (the need for the valve) but this goes down and stops after about a week give or take a little, keep your beans cool, in the dark and sealed from new air and all will be OK. At a week old, I really doubt that there will be much if any issue with air space in the container. Less is better for sure but you are well in the freshness window at a week.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Gasket sealed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229556083679)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+