Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Why does black coffee taste so bitter to me?
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why does black...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
khil

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Apr 4, 2012, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: Why does black coffee taste so bitter to me?

Great thank you for the suggestions.  One of my colleagues bought a Delonghi coffee maker and said it made incredible coffee.  Any opinions on this kind of drip maker?
 View Profile Link to this post
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun May 6, 2012, 4:57am

khil Said:

Great thank you for the suggestions.  One of my colleagues bought a Delonghi coffee maker and said it made incredible coffee.  Any opinions on this kind of drip maker?

Posted April 4, 2012 link

The Clever Coffee Dripper (available at Sweet Marias and even on Amazon) is an inexpensive way to make up to 16 oz of excellent coffee.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun May 6, 2012, 6:24am

khil Said:

It will probably make better coffee than some of the 10$ pots you can buy at the local store. It will not make as good of coffee as a Bonavita. I bought one for my daughter and her s/o for Christmas and they are incredibly surprised. It will not make as good of coffee as a Brazen. They are made here in the US too.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaypunkrawk

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Frieling press, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 7:25pm

True, as far as I know Technivorm and now Bonavita are the only outfits that make a decent auto-drip maker. I would suggest using a French press or some sort of pour-over brewer (Hario, Clever, Chemex, etc.). The press is a lot more convenient and less intensive to use and makes a very tasty cup of coffee.

And yes, much better coffee is out there.  It might behoove you to order better coffee online.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 7:26pm

khil Said:

I''d advise getting a Chemex (for 8 cups) and maybe the Clever Dripper or Hario dripper, a hot water kettle...and order some coffee from a Texas roaster.
There are several excellent coffee roasters in TX.
And around the country.

Try a Guatemalan, El Salvador, Costa Rican perhaps an Ethiopian Yergacheff or sidama.
I'd stay away from blends, so you can start identifying coffees that hit your "sweet button."
BTW, there is NO law that says yoiu can;'t put a touch of 1/2 and 1/2 inform time to time!

You'll need a proper grinder. I'd suggest you check out click here

No need to spend more than $129 for your purposes.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jaypunkrawk

Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Drip: Frieling press, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 7:43pm

I agree with the above.  Find a single origin bean you really like.  Plenty of good blends out there, but single origins tend to be the most flavorful and unique as nothing has been toned down by mixing with another type of bean or beans.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
bittersweet101

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 3:21am

Ask someone to taste the black coffee you prepared. If they think it is bitter, then change brands. But if the taste is fine for them, it could be that your taste buds are more sensitive to bitter taste than others.
WelshDog

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: OE Lido
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:15pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

It's certainly not impossible that you're one of the humans known as supertasters, in which case bitter tastes are more noticeable and thus more offensive to your palate. This is confirmed with a tasting paper test, I believe. However, if other bitter foods aren't so much of a problem (a bit of char on a steak, broccoli, etc.), then you may just be drinking kinda bad coffee.

Posted March 29, 2012 link

I think I must be a borderline supertaster.  Black coffee has always had a sort of chemical bitterness to me.  Even when tasting it as a child I thought it was horrible.  Later I learned that coffee flavored beverages were tasty.  I am very sensitive to charred things, to I can taste Starbucks bitterness just by smelling it :)  While I do eat some of the things on the supertaster bitter list, most of them I don't like.  Asparagus is one of them and I rarely eat it.  Interestingly I am also able to smell the asparagus in urine which may also be a genetically linked trait.  Oh, and coffee also stimulates my colonic peristalsis to an alarming rate.  I'm on a roll here.  

I recently (two days ago) got a Lido grinder to use with my Aeropress.  I am beginning a quest to find a coffee/grind/brew combination that best fits my taste buds.  I hope to get some beans from Cuvee here in Austin to try out soon.  While I doubt I will ever be able to drink black coffee, I hope to find a method that results coffee with the least bitterness for me.  Even so, it would seem that slamming back an espresso shot will never be in the cards for me, no matter how "sweet" a pull it might be.
kross

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:11pm

To khil,

I would suggest going to the best coffee shop in town, whichever one has the best reputation for great coffee, and taste some there, to find out what good coffee is supposed to taste like.  You can then compare it with your home made coffee.
kross

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:16pm

Ah crap, just realized this was a year old thread that got bumped.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why does black...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284397125244)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+