Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
First few sips of properly extracted filter brews taste sour.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > First few sips...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kieranjol

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plua /...
Drip: Chemex/Aeropress
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 8:27am
Subject: First few sips of properly extracted filter brews taste sour.

Whether I brew with the CCD, chemex, or my main brewer, the Aeropress, the first few sips of my brew are sour and not pleasant. My grinder is the Maestro Plus. I use 92C/ 197.6F water, and my brews are generally in the 1.3% TDS, 19% extraction range as verified with the Extract Mojo.
Initially, I thought that the coffee needed to be cooled down before drinking, but I've found that even after decanting and allowing it to cool further, the coffee does not taste pleasant until I've taken maybe three sips. I can't figure out what the issue is. Has anyone had this same experience? This happens with every coffee I've brewed, from different roasters. Once I've taken a few sips, I have a wonderful brew, but I'm pretty sick of this situation.
Edit: Here is some extra info. With the aero, I use a filter grind, usually between 16-20 on the Maestro Plus. 2 min steep, 30 sec plunge. 14g/230g.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: First few sips of properly extracted filter brews taste sour.

All coffe, or just what you brew?

Do you drink it right after brushing your teeth?

--Josh
kieranjol

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:39pm

Just what I brew. We're blessed to have some great shops in Dublin that do wonderful filter coffee and it's beautiful coffee from the first sip. They brew using the same beans and brewer (aeropress) as me. Their brews also have pleasant and distinctive aromatics. My brews are also unpleasant in this respect.
I split my brew into two cups a few times, and the same issue occured with both cups. It took about three sips to get pleasant flavour from cup a, about one or 2 from cup b. I usually have to let my drinks cool to <60C/140F anyhow before they're drinkable for me, but cooling even further before taking the first sip does not alleviate my issue.
IS my issue the presence of fines, oils, bad water? I can't figure it out, so I guess I'd like to know if everyone's brews are tasty at first sip.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:46pm

Could be water chemistry, could also be temp. If you're measuring 92C in the slurry, that's probably fine, but if it's 92C in the kettle, it could be cooling too much by the time it hits the coffee. Maybe try a bit higher temp, see how it tastes.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kieranjol

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 1:08pm

I was using 96-97C/ 204F water previously, with a slurry of about 91/92 for a long long time. Same issue. I am still able to nail gold cup extraction levels with 92 C water, I just have to grind a notch or two finer. I was brewing using 94C water today and it was the same exact issue. I am going to buy some volvic water tomorrow, which I've heard is about 120ppm. I'll see if that fixes my issue.
I have started wondering if it is an issue with oils, though. I use the inverted aeropress method with the stock paper filters, and there are oils visible on top for the first few sips. These go away as the taste improves. Is this just a coincidence? My aero, as well as my brewing vessels are all cleaned before my first brew of the day. I should point out that I've also had the same issue withe the Hario Skerton.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 2:36pm
Subject: .

kieranjol

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 2:45pm

I was hoping you'd chime in, Netphilosopher. I have been turning over the inverted aeropress 15 secs before the press, but will try 30. I've tried stirring the brew before and it didn't help massively, but I'll try removing the top layer as best I can. I think the reason I started suspecting oils was from a recent post where you mentioned drinking pure coffee oil.
I really don't want to mute the fruits and brightness, as they are one of the main reasons that I drink coffee. I will try to experiment with some compromise between temps/oils/taste though.
Just saw your edit.. I'll try the dilution tomorrow. The coffee shop I mentioned is 3fe, and they updose for aeropress actually. They say that they use 17g/230g coffee extracted to 19% (Edit: Not certain of the extraction actually, but i read that they aim for 19% with chemex, so I assumed the same for aero. Their pourovers are a more traditional 60g/l. I have noticed that there are no oils in their Aero brews though. Really clean. They use the Marco Ubergrinder.
kieranjol

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:19pm

So, here are my findings after doing four aeropress brews today. Stirring and skimming the oils was not effective. Same issue. I don't think that I could effectively skim the oils anyhow.
Diluting the brew did not help.
Flipping the inverted aeropress 30-45 secs before plunge did not help.
USing the non-inverted method had the same issue,
This is really frustrating me, as the brews are absolutely beautiful once I've taken three sips. I had some Hasbean Colombia Oporapa and it was super sweet and rich.
I am going to try brewing with <90 C water tomorrow to see if that helps. I still haven't tried bottled water, I hope to try some tomorrow.
It isn't just my tongue getting used to the taste, as when I split the brew into two seperate cups, I have the same issue with both. Perhaps I'm removing a layer of foul tasting oils with those first few sips? I haven't heard of anyone else ever having a similar issue.
Edit: I've cleaned my burrs several times too. They never hold a massive amount anyhow.
SimonPatrice

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Peugeot, Armin Trosser, OE...
Drip: Melitta, press pot, eva...
Posted Thu Apr 26, 2012, 7:49pm

Well, this is a long shot but could it have to do with the dish soap you use on your cups?  Maybe if it's not rinsed well enough or leaves a thin film on the cup, or...  Which could explain why you get the same problem if you split your coffee in two different cups.

But, as I said, it's a long shot.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > First few sips...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215114116669)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+