Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coava Kone brewing techniques
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 9:41pm
Subject: Re: Coava Kone brewing techniques

cowgirleileen Said:

This is a real rookie question, but while your waiting the 45 seconds for the bloom, do you have to put reheat the water to get it back up to 200 degrees or do you just continue the pouring (after the 45 seconds) with the same water as is?

Posted April 10, 2012 link

If you're using a pour-over kettle such as the Hario or Tiamo, you'll lose about one degree Fahrenheit during that 45 second wait. Chances are that the pre-infusion temperature is not as critical as the main brewing temperature, so you may want to start your pre-pour two or three degrees hotter than your desired average brewing temperature if you want to use a surfing technique.
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 11:44am

TonyVan Said:

If you're using a pour-over kettle such as the Hario or Tiamo, you'll lose about one degree Fahrenheit during that 45 second wait. Chances are that the pre-infusion temperature is not as critical as the main brewing temperature, so you may want to start your pre-pour two or three degrees hotter than your desired average brewing temperature if you want to use a surfing technique.

Posted April 10, 2012 link

I recall, but cannot find, something Nick Cho said about preinfusion being the main component of the extraction process. Further addition of water was basically washing the extraction off the grounds, and diluting the beverage to taste. I'll keep looking to find that, but it would suggest temperature is more critical at the beginning, and arguably still throughout the brew.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sygyzy

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 3:13pm

Hi guys,

I recently received my Kone filter and Chemex pot. So far I've used the system about six times and while the coffee tastes fine, I can't seem to get it to operate correctly. Before I explain the steps I take when brewing, I want to let you know I do pourover coffee every day with a V60 02. I also have a small woodneck Chemex that I use weekly with standard Chemex filters (not Kone). The larger size Chemex was purchased specifically to be used with the Kone. I am using a rebranded Bartaza burr grinder. It's similar to the Encore but came before that product existed. It has markings for espresso, drip and French press. For both pourover and Chemex, I get proper brewing around the drip (middle) setting, or sometimes a little finer.

Here's what I am doing with the Kone

Heat water to 200F
Pour 750ml into Buono Kettle
Weight out 45 grams of fresh beans
Grind beans, pour into Kone. Shake to level
Pour hot water to warm vessel
100 ml of water to bloom
Rest of the water
To get any coffee to come down, I have to pour water in after the bloom. The water level gets pretty high before coffee comes down. After that, the speed at which it comes down, or at which the water level on the Kone drops is very slow. I've experimented with moving the grinder three to four notches coarser (towards French Press).While this helps, a little, when I finally am able to get that last 100 ml into the Kone, we are talking about another 3-4 mins for the final draw. Even then, I don't know when to stop the timer because a Kone-ful of water always remains. The drip comes to such a slow rate, that I give up and just remove the Kone and dump it. The Kone gets clogged up, even at at coarse grind.

I am pouring in concentric circles towards the center as best as I can. I don't have any problems with the regular Chemex papers or the V60. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 3:33pm

Your entire approach sounds fine, but I am guessing that your grind is too fine. Regardless of what the markings on the grinder say, go even coarser and try it again. If you continue pushing it coarse and it is still taking forever, I would begin to think that fines are clogging your filter. Another thing that I wanted to comment on, not related to your drawdown question, is the 200 degree water that you transfer into a Buono. At 200 degrees, that water would cool significantly when transferred to a cold or even a pre-warmed Buono. Try boiling the water and then transferring the boiling water to the kettle. This will drop the temp down to between 202-205 from what I have experienced. If you preheat the kettle with a bit of boiling water that you dump out, the transferred water will drop to around 206-207.

I'm not saying that has caused problems in your brewing, but it will help keep your water up in the brewing range a bit more. That's not to say that you don't make great coffee the way you are now. Just a suggestion based on my personal preferences.
 View Profile Link to this post
sygyzy

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 6:55pm

Thanks for your insight and advice. I really appreciate it. I am familiar with the temperature drop but I have never noticed it being that dramatic. I will do an experiment tomorrow with an instant read thermometer and see how bad it is. I really don't want to be brewing over 200.

Tonight, I tried going back to a finer grind (middle of the dial). This time, I only poured down the center with no circles. It brewed much better. I got the idea from some Kone posts. I could have sworn the official instructions say to make circles though.
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 6:18am

sygyzy Said:

Thanks for your insight and advice. I really appreciate it. I am familiar with the temperature drop but I have never noticed it being that dramatic. I will do an experiment tomorrow with an instant read thermometer and see how bad it is. I really don't want to be brewing over 200.

Tonight, I tried going back to a finer grind (middle of the dial). This time, I only poured down the center with no circles. It brewed much better. I got the idea from some Kone posts. I could have sworn the official instructions say to make circles though.

Posted November 4, 2012 link

I have used all three generations of the KONE.  I think technique is overstressed.  While important, I think we (read "me too") have been obsessed with technique.  

I disagree with the suggestion about a course grind.  I wonder if your grinder is throwing too many fines?  Suggest a medium fine grind from a coffee house and then compare with your grinder.  Bet it is in your grinder's ability.

I use a hair under the medium grind on a Macap  grinder.  Create a small indentation in the center for the bloom pour.  I use 205* water (it does cool during the pouring), 30 second bloom with about 4.5-5 oz water on a bed of 60g of coffee for a finished liter of coffee. My pours are concentric circles of about 1-2" in diameter at the center of the bed.  The pour just keeps a slight "float" going on top of the bed. Total pour time with the bloom is about 3-3.5 minutes.

I think you will do fine.  Just keep trying.  If the main problem you are describing is drainage, I would wash and scrub the filter.  Hold it up to the light.  It will become clogged with fines that aren't apparent to the eye until you hold it to the light.  Go after it with a dish cloth.

Good luck, B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sygyzy

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 11:32am

Thank you, I will try all your suggestions tonight.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26157283783)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+