Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Why does black coffee taste so bitter to me?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why does black...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
khil

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 11:22am
Subject: Why does black coffee taste so bitter to me?

Hey all!  So glad to have found you, I've been asking this question and no one really can answer it for me.  I hear that "good" coffee shouldn't be bitter but I've tried all sorts of coffee and if black, it's bitter to me.  I have made my coffee in a drip style maker and now in a Keurig and when I drink it black it's always bitter to me.  I really enjoy coffee, probably drink 3-4 cups a day, but I have to "tone down" the bitterness with that sugary sweet store bought creamer in a gazillion flavors!  Is this normal?  I have had coffee before that was not as bitter, but I just wonder if I can't make it right! I'm looking into a french press or a percolator in hopes of making better coffee.  The last cup of I had of black coffee was not only bitter but had that bad nut taste (you know when you're eating peanuts and get a bad one).  I enjoy the flavor of coffee just not the bitternesss.  Any suggestions? Thanks :)
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Why does black coffee taste so bitter to me?

Well, a couple of things come to mind.

1. What's the best, very best coffee that you've ever had? That may be best in terms of reputation (Intelligentsia, Blue Bottle, something like that), or best flavor. What's the brand? Was that any less bitter?

2. Keurig isn't really considered to be good coffee, around here at least. It favors convenience far more than quality. You may not agree, but I wanted to point out that it's by no means a Gold Standard to coffee nerds.

3. It's certainly not impossible that you're one of the humans known as supertasters, in which case bitter tastes are more noticeable and thus more offensive to your palate. This is confirmed with a tasting paper test, I believe. However, if other bitter foods aren't so much of a problem (a bit of char on a steak, broccoli, etc.), then you may just be drinking kinda bad coffee.

Coffee is by its very nature a bitter beverage. That fact is unavoidable, due to the caffeine and other compounds found in the coffee seed. There is and will be - until a non-bitter variety is cultivated - bitterness in coffee. When people say a coffee is not bitter, they usually mean that the bitterness is not the principle flavor component, and that it's either got a balanced taste, or it skews more toward sweet/acidic/nutty and so on. It could certainly still taste a bit bitter, but the rest of the flavors make up for that and make the drink more palatable.

Many things can contribute to a bitter-heavy brew, however, including freshness, roast level, quality of coffee used, brewing method, etc. Give us some more info, and we can help you whittle down the issue and maybe get you a good cupp joe!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 2:05pm

Also, some people are known to be extra sensitive to 'bitter'.  They are women, more than men, and I understand that pregnancy exacerbates the problem, sometimes.

To use an example:  I find Irish Guinness to be pleasant but my wife hates it for its bitterness.

Another example:  The cupping experts always taste coffee black, no sugar.  I find , for me, the bitterness obscures the flavours.  I use sweetener and cream.  

Neither I nor my wife are 'super-tasters.  We are just sensitive to 'bitter' in varying degrees.

Jerry
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2012, 2:37pm

How do you react to mint, asparagus, other greens?  Too strong or bitter?  You could just be a super taster and highly sensitive to the bitterness in coffee.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
khil

Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 7:30am

Hmm, well, I suppose it's possible I'm a "supertaster".  I don't care for broccoli unless it's got some sauce on same for asparagus.  My mother in law bought the Keurig and I've tried a few kinds of coffee for it; folgers, Starbucks, you know the different boxed kinds for the Keurig machines.  Probably the best coffee I've had is from our supermarket here in TX they have a line and it's gourmet coffee of different flavors, you grind it yourself.  I also liked a cup of Seattle's Best.  Haha, don't laugh, I know this is probably only a step up from Folgers, but I've come a long way---I used to only drink Folgers thinking all coffee tasted alike!!  I've read the some of the boards and I've never heard of a lot of the names you guys throw around.  Thanks for your feedback, let me know if I can answer anything else :)
KennyH

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 3:57pm

khil Said:

Hmm, well, I suppose it's possible I'm a "supertaster".  I don't care for broccoli unless it's got some sauce on same for asparagus.  My mother in law bought the Keurig and I've tried a few kinds of coffee for it; folgers, Starbucks, you know the different boxed kinds for the Keurig machines.  Probably the best coffee I've had is from our supermarket here in TX they have a line and it's gourmet coffee of different flavors, you grind it yourself.  I also liked a cup of Seattle's Best.  Haha, don't laugh, I know this is probably only a step up from Folgers, but I've come a long way---I used to only drink Folgers thinking all coffee tasted alike!!  I've read the some of the boards and I've never heard of a lot of the names you guys throw around.  Thanks for your feedback, let me know if I can answer anything else :)

Posted March 31, 2012 link

Well, that's probably why you think coffee tastes bitter. Very cheap/preground coffee usually has bitter as the dominant characteristic with slight undertones of other more desirable flavors. You should definitely check out this list- Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2012, 4:16pm

khil Said:

I've tried all sorts of coffee and if black, it's bitter to me.

Posted March 29, 2012 link

khil Said:

...Keurig and I've tried a few kinds of coffee for it; folgers, Starbucks, you know the different boxed kinds for the Keurig machines.  Probably the best coffee I've had is from our supermarket here in TX they have a line and it's gourmet coffee of different flavors, you grind it yourself.  I also liked a cup of Seattle's Best.

Posted March 31, 2012 link

you need better coffee
khil

Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 8:09pm

I figured such.  I live in a small town in West Texas not much out here.  Is there anything that's considered "better coffee" that can be bought at a supermarket?  Also, what preparation do you recommend?  A drip machine, french press, etc...
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 8:52pm

khil Said:

I figured such.  I live in a small town in West Texas not much out here.  Is there anything that's considered "better coffee" that can be bought at a supermarket?  Also, what preparation do you recommend?  A drip machine, french press, etc...

Posted April 1, 2012 link

well i dont know what they sell in your supermarket.  if it's like a whole foods, they may have local roasters supply them.  if they have specialty coffee, make sure to look for a roasted date as you dont want anything too old.  you'll want to use the coffee within 15 days of roasting.  

if there is nothing local to you, maybe consider ordering online and having it shipped to you.  here's a list of roasters that people on another site recommend.   Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

you may also want to look into home roasting.   sweet marias has a ton of great information to get you started.     http://www.sweetmarias.com/library/roast-coffee/

as for a machine/method, there are many good methods and i wouldnt say one is that much better than another.  did u want to do something manually or with a machine?  lots of options out there.
KennyH

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 5:59am

If you want an autodrip, go with a Bonavita. You can get some great coffee with a manual pourover if you don't mind the extra effort. If you want to use a French press, you'll need a good grinder as well so that there isn't a huge amount of sediment in the cup. You should preferably have a nice grinder for all of these, but having a subpar grinder with a French press will make the most noticeable difference for you.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Why does black...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283460855484)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+