Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What is the best water to use for brewing coffee?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kayes
kayes
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodum Press
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 11:53am
Subject: What is the best water to use for brewing coffee?

I have heard that filtered water should be used when brewing coffee if tap water doesn't taste good. Our water is actually really good most of the time (a little chlorine flavour at times). I have been using the filtered water from my LG refrigerator for a while. Are fridge filters good enough or do they make the water too low in minerals and TDS? I do feel the coffee tastes a little flat at times when I brew. Anyone have any insight on this?

My name is Kayes, and I'm obsessed with coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:21pm
Subject: Re: What is the best water to use for brewing coffee?

The filters in the refrigerator cartridges (guessing that's what you have) are carbon based and don't remove minerals (I got this info directly from Pur and Kitchen Aid), so your hardness is not affected.  Hardness leads to scale build-up.  You can try getting info from your local source (probably the city, if it's just tap water).  Unfortunately, they may not have the details on mineral content because what's regulated (and thus, what's reported) is the pathogen/contaminant levels, not minerals like calcium, etc.

I suggest getting a hardness test kit.  frcn has a recommendation on his website espressomyespresso.com, and he even posted a link to the product via amazon yesterday in another thread (which ought to be easy to find).  An alternative is to order hardness test strips from CCS for a basic start.  They also sell in reservoir ion exchange resin cartridges that you can use to reduce the hardness.

My setup is...city water through fridge cartridge, then through in reservoir ion exchange resin.  Being in Houston, the hardness of my supply is low enough that I get it down to about target (3 grains) by the time it leaves the reservoir.  

When I plumb in (hopefully later this year), I'm installing an in line ion exchange unit, and praying the city doesn't supply me with contaminated water at any time.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:26pm

For non espresso brewing your fridge filter should be fine if you are using the water in your espresso machine you may want to consider something else. From what I've read you really don't want to use softened water to prepare regular coffee. Do a search of this site and you will find plenty of info on water quality for coffee.
kayes
kayes

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:31pm

Good stuff! What should the hardness or TDS be optimally for non-espresso brewing?

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:37pm

agreed.  The main reasons excessive water hardness matters are scale build up and flavor.  Regarding over softened water, I don't know why it's not recommended, though I'm sure I've read it somewhere before.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:46pm

Here is a read http://www.big-rick.com/coffee/waterfaq.html
kayes
kayes

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 1:05pm

Awesome read! Thank you

Wraywayproducts

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 2:56pm

I'm not sure, but I've heard that the reason why coffee can have that "flat" taste sometimes is due to the hardness of the water and the chemical treatment.  I noticed that when we moved from Oklahoma to Iowa, that my coffee tastes better even though I brew with tap water still.  Now, I did have to get a new coffee brewer though, because the quality of water that I used to put through the one I brought from Oklahoma was not as good as the tap water where we live in Iowa.  We live right on the Mississippi at Dam #19, which is home to a powerplant, and so the city has a very good water treatment facility.  The water makes all the difference, man!

www.coffeebizness.com
kayes
kayes

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 3:31pm

I brewed two aeropress cups side by side today. One had filtered water from the fridge and one was fresh tap water. Both were good but the coffee with the tap water was stronger, not as silky, and slightly more bitter. Both were yummy though.

srivastava

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Feb 24, 2012, 5:01am

filtered water should be used when brewing coffee....
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244741916656)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+