Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
aeropress and acidity levels
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > aeropress and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
crustandcrumb

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 7:54am
Subject: aeropress and acidity levels

after a long hiatus from coffee-geekery, i busted back out my bodum press and started tinkering. ultimately i found that the acidity from press coffee was really problematic for me (i had been drinking espresso for years pretty much exclusively up until that point, and never had any problems with the acidity for whatever reason).. so i bought an aeropress. it should be here monday.

is it possible to get a properly extracted cup from the aeropress (which requires deviating from the standard aeropress method, by most accounts) and still retain the benefit of the purported 1/5th less acidity?

thanks,

jesse
 View Profile Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 9:26am
Subject: Re: aeropress and acidity levels

Early in the week, I prepared light roasted Kona in the aeropress and got a result that gave me acid indigestion.  It also tasted acidic.  Some of my problem had to do with its strength too.  For the last two days I was using the same bean in a pour over (melitta cone).  No problem with it at all and yesterday it was so good I prepared it twice.

The aeropress is new to me.  For 2 weeks I'd been using it for a dark roasted Colombian which made a smooth cup, so the acid in the Kona took me by surprise when I prepared it the same way.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
crustandcrumb

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 4:10am

anyone?
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 9:29am

You *should* be fine as long as you stick to the stock paper filters, but only you will be able to say for sure. Since you've already ordered an Aeropress, I think you might have to answer your own question in this case!
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 11:44am

Who knows? Are we talking about actual measured acidity in terms of pH or in the perceived acidity on the palette used in coffee descriptor terms.

Is it the flavour that is the problem with French Press ie acidic/sharp or is it more to do with actual acidity in terms of acid indigestion when drinking French Press?

Frankly somewhat confused over meaning of acidity in this context. Without measuring I have to think there is far more acid in a glass of orange juice than there is in a cup of coffee so have difficulty with the concept that the actual acidity of a cup of coffee would be an issue.
crustandcrumb

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 12:52pm

oops. i meant in terms of acid indigestion. should have made that clear. i don't think it's exclusive to french press, either. i had a starbucks drip coffee at work the other day, and it had the same effect.
CandaceM

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 12:53pm

Different coffees have different natural acid levels. Dark roasting reduces acidity, so a light roast vs a dark roast will give you different acidity levels regardless of the brewing method. I don't know if that affects the 'feel/flavour' of acidity, but it affects the pH.

You probably know this, but water temperature is a key function in aeropress results as higher temperature water brings out the acid in the coffee and you lose the smoothness. When my press was new, I used a candy thermometer to measure water temp in my kettle, so I know what it sounds like/looks like when the water is the right temperature -- 165 F to 175 F (74 C to 80 C). If you let the water boil before making aeropress coffee, you've lost some of the benefits of the method.
Daniel437

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 10:38am

Also, how long are you brewing the coffee for? That makes a difference as well.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 3:34pm
Subject: .

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 3:37am
Subject: .

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > aeropress and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239184856415)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+