Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Coava Kone brewing techniques
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
aowens

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Hellem
Drip: Chemex, Kone
Roaster: Stumptown, Victrola
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:29pm
Subject: Re: Coava Kone brewing techniques

Ok, so 3-4 min with a medium fine grind seems to be the consensus. Also, is 28g the ideal dose for 400ml of water?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:46pm

I'd have to agree that grinders, albeit fine quality grinders like the Skerton, Porlex (which I have) and others of the same ilk are not (IMO) the grinder best suited to this style of pour, due to the # of fines they produce when the burrs are set to a medium grind. I believe these grinders are at their best when doing the finer grinds, such as espresso. Even my wonderful KyM manual vintage grinder does a less than average job when attempting to grind for pourover..but rocks as an espresso grinder.
Your brew will be a bit more bitter than it should be.

As we here believe the GRINDER is PARAMOUNT to producing the best coffee in ALL circumstances, be it espresso, French press, vac, pour-over, etc, Kone users would be better off with a good drip/press grinder like a Baratza Maestro plus, Virtuoso, etc. Something along those lines.
Just my .02.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:35am

Dose is really a matter of personal preference, however the general starting point is 1:17. I like my pour over at around 1:16 for most coffees. 28 grams per 400ml is a pretty high dose (1:14.2) but if you like your coffee rather strong it might work for you. That's about what i do for Aeropress with the Coava Disk. However, if you find you're having to use large amounts of coffee just to get a average strengthed cup of coffee then you're likely under extracting.

Ultimately, if it tastes good to you then that is the only thing that matters! :)
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012, 12:35pm

aowens Said:

Ok, so 3-4 min with a medium fine grind seems to be the consensus. Also, is 28g the ideal dose for 400ml of water?

Posted January 11, 2012 link

I think much over 3 minutes would be overkill.
archi

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: In between
Grinder: Zassenhaus hand mill,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: CCD v60
Roaster: Bread machine/heat gun
Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012, 5:48pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Posted January 13, 2012 link

I used to think so until I saw some cafe's doing it. I tried it and now that's all i do. You should try it.

Something profound...
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Fri Jan 13, 2012, 8:52pm

EvanOz85 Said:

My Kone brews usually come out to about 3:15 -3:30 these days and the important thing is that it doesn't taste like overkill.  I usually begin with 28g/400g, and with some coffees I end up going up a liitle and with some I go down depending on what tastes better. It's a good starting point but hardly a law of nature.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 8:29am

archi Said:

You should try it.

Just brewed a cup that took around 3:30. Came out very nice. The Kone is truly revolutionary.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 3:11pm

I received the Kone on Friday and just brewed my first 12oz cup using it. The coffee used was a home roasted Guat.

I started with a ratio of 27g/400ml. I ground my coffee at 16F on my Preciso and brewed with 201F water. For this first brew, I use Coava's recommendations:

1. Pre-infuse with 100ml of water over 15 seconds. Start timer and wait 45 seconds.
  2. At 0:45, begin main pour and hit 400ml at 2:00 (300ml at 1:30).
  3. Drips should be done by 2:45.

The resulting cup is very sweet with a syrupy body and great apple/berry fruit notes. Caramelized sugar adds some roasty sweetness and dark chocolate ties it all together. A really wonderful cup, especially considering this is my first time trying it. I kept my pour to the middle of the grounds and all the timing worked out nicely. I did notice that there was very little resistance for the final draw down. It emptied in about 15 seconds and was dripping once a second or two for the rest of the time. I know that the Kone provides hardly any resistance, but am wondering if this style of draw down is par for the course. There was a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the Chemex, but it was nowhere near press pot level. I was able to keep most of it in the bottom of the Chemex. I am hesitant to take the grind any finer, as the coffee tastes like it has been pushed to its limit. There are no over extraction bitters, but I get that feeling that the coffee is teetering at the top end of extraction. That could just be the unfiltered nature of the brew, as I have been making nothing but pour overs for a long time.

Overall, very impressed with this first cup and looking forward to experimenting. I'd like to try a standard pre-infusion at some point with the remaining ~360ml being the main pour. I am wondering if this would prolong contact time and allow for a slightly coarser grind. At 16F, I am right at the lowest end of my Preciso's drip grind (according to the manual) with 14 being the start of the espresso range.
cowgirleileen

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 9:25am

This is a real rookie question, but while your waiting the 45 seconds for the bloom, do you have to put reheat the water to get it back up to 200 degrees or do you just continue the pouring (after the 45 seconds) with the same water as is?
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 9:27am

cowgirleileen Said:

This is a real rookie question, but while your waiting the 45 seconds for the bloom, do you have to put reheat the water to get it back up to 200 degrees or do you just continue the pouring (after the 45 seconds) with the same water as is?

Posted April 10, 2012 link

I have never re-heated my water during any bloom period for pour overs. I brew pour over most of the time and I like to brew with 198F water. I've never had issues with it.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Coava Kone...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302097797394)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+