Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
A good coffee maker with little no no plastic/water contact
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > A good coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Us3r

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2011, 1:24pm
Subject: A good coffee maker with little no no plastic/water contact

Hey Guys,

So Im in the market for a new coffee maker, I just bough a Cusinart Keurig machine just to find that the internal hot water reservoir is plastic and so leeches all sorts of stuff into the water, and as I dont enjoy plastic with my coffee Ill be taking it back.

Anyways, Im looking for a coffee maker with as little contact with plastic as possible, and also one that makes great coffee obviously, Im not interested in french press or chemex as they are just too much hassle, I just want to put coffe in, hit a button and coffe comes out, simple.

Im not opposed to commercial machines but my budget is $300 max, preferablly less would be better as my wife is alread not keen about the prospect.

Would love a single cub brewer as my wife does not drink coffee and brewing a pot is a waste but I dont think there actually are any asside from keurig and other pod brewers.

Any advice you could offer would be great,

Thanks guys!
 View Profile Link to this post
bodum_fanatic
bodum_fanatic
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Won't become one of those...
Grinder: Braun KMM30, Krups Fast...
Vac Pot: Never had much luck there.
Drip: Melitta Deluxe 132 made in...
Roaster: West Bend Poppery II
Posted Thu Nov 10, 2011, 2:50pm
Subject: Re: A good coffee maker with little no no plastic/water contact

The Bunn Phase Brew has a stainless steel filter basket, but the water tank in which the water is heated is plastic.  The Technivorm passes the water through a copper heating coil, but the filter basket is plastic.  The only coffee makers out there that I am aware of that completely eliminate contact with plastic are percolators.  Many people misunderstand how percolators actually work, and think hey burn the coffee by boiling it.  Farberware's percolators (the only brand I would recommend that is currently made) heat the water to a perfect 200 degrees, and most older brands/models heated at a lower temperature.   You can get very good coffee from a percolator, as long as you're not trying to brew up something with a lot of complex "bright" flavors, especially floral and spice.   When it comes to getting a great cup of something like a Yergecheffe, percs fall flat.
Us3r

Posted Thu Nov 10, 2011, 3:07pm

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at the Technivorm machines, they look good despte the plastic filter holder although for that price I dont understand why they are not stainless, same goes for these keurig brewers, the cusinart machine is $250, for that price the heating tank should be steel.

Anyways, I had a bunn brewer, one of the original ones with the hot water tank, but I didnt like it that much honestly, and after a while it developed a really sour taste and cleaning it was near impossible, I was interested in the phase brewers but if they have a plasti heating tank then thats out, kinda disappointing too as I thought bunn was committed to quality.

Personally i enjoy a bold or extra bold cup of coffee, I like the deep rich coffee, would one of the Technivorm brewers be good for that?

My only issue with percs is...well whenever I think of a perc I think of the awful swill you get from catering or events brewed in thoes big urns, nasty stuff, but if what you say is true then perhaps one of thoes might be a decent option.
drgary

Espresso: Baby Lusso Caravel Coffex...
Grinder: Pharos, Rio Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Heat Gun/Bread Machine,...
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 8:07am

Us3r Said:

Im not interested in french press or chemex as they are just too much hassle, I just want to put coffe in, hit a button and coffe comes out, simple.

Posted November 10, 2011 link

If you want good coffee and you can't find anything other than a percolator in your budget that doesn't expose you to plastic, why not a tea kettle and a filter system like Chemex or one of the ceramic cones that hold filter paper or a metal screen? How hard is it to heat water, pour it through paper and stir? If you want to get really lazy, don't stir. It'll still be better than a percolator. You'll also save more than $250 of your budget. And if you're concerned about health effects, use filter paper.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mgwolf

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 10:23am

You should look at the Krups Moka Brew (468) if you can find one.  Metal reservoir (stainless) and glass carafe.  It's known for making rich brews.  They pop up on ebay and a few other places every so often.     Also look at Yama vac pots which are all glass, reasonable, and make excellent coffee (Sweet marias sells them).Michael
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 10:51am

One bad experience with one product wouldn't put me off plastic per se. There are many many different types and quality of plastic with quite varied properties including heat resistance.

I've used a Melitta cone and an Aeropress with excellent results. Indeed I prefer the plastic Melitta to ceramic because it takes less hot water to heat the cone.

What exactly was leaching from your Cuisinart into the water? Have you considered taking this up with the firm concerned?

Since you don't want to go the stainless steel kettle/Chemex route I'd probably go for the Technivorm with it's quality plastic components.
One person use probably rules out commercial brewers since these tend to be optimised for a quart or two of coffee at a time.
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:22am

Let's see....No plastic contact, and no hassle. I'd recommend an electric mokapot.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Click Here (www.espressozone.com)

and this one does a double shot!
Click Here (www.espressozone.com)

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:26pm

Vacuum/syphon coffee maker.  Any with a fabric or paper filter, or (preferably) glass rod filter.

Look for Yama, Hario or (in my opinion the best) Cona.

They make the best non-espresso coffee anyway, but are a little more hands on to use compared to drip machines.

No plastic, and if you get a Cona or other device with a glass rod filter, coffee is only ever touched by glass (apart from whatever you stir it with, but you can get glass spoons if you're really serious).
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 6:37am

Vac-pot indeed, or manual pour-over. Glass, metal, filter. That's it!

--Josh
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 8:12am

You could add the Eva Solo to this list as well.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > A good coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401778936386)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+