Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What is the best temperature to brew coffee?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
annika123

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:56am
Subject: What is the best temperature to brew coffee?

Hello friends

kindly tell me What is the best temperature to brew coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 3:17am
Subject: Re: What is the best temperature to brew coffee?

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Your question cannot be answered as a general rule, because the optimal brewing temperature differs depending on the way of preparation (drip coffee, espresso, mokka, French press), the degree of roasting (lighter or darker roast) or the kind of beans used. However, the water usually should not be boiling hot, because that might burn the ground coffee.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 5:53am
Subject: ...

JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 6:24am

Yes to the above, more or less - I rarely go as low as 195, but for certain coffees I do. I also rarely brew above 205 on purpose (ask me about my ever-surfing stovetop vac-pot).

This is generally what I do - for manual pour-over. With light-roasted coffee (south of Full City) I start at 205-ish, and generally find little need to brew cooler. If I get excessive bitterness, I'll back it off a couple degrees. With darker coffee (if I roast it, FC - FC+ is "dark" to me - I've had some that was clearly taken well into 2nd Crack) I'll start at 200 and work down if needed.

As for my vac-pot, I have a less-than-ideal setup. I have an electric stove and use a stove-top pot. What ends up happening is that I can have difficulty maintaining temperature because electric stoves are very slow to respond. I've worked it out so that I can surf as little as 5 degrees up in a 2 minute period, so I end up brewing from 195-200, or 200-205, or somewhere in between. Same basic principles apply - lower for darker, higher for lighter.

I think the general principle is that lighter-roasted coffees are a bit more difficult to fully extract, so the higher temps are required. I guess.

--Josh
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 9:24am

I don't think my Aeropress coffee ever brews as high as 195F. When I've taken the trouble to stick a thermometer into the mixture it is always less than that, and dropping. I start with water straight off the boil. What do you guys do? Preheat everything?
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2011, 7:05pm

JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 6:10am

Netphilosopher Said:

Many of the brewing methods already have this taken into account, so that's why when we talk about brewing temperature, it's usually implied that it is the starting temperature.

Posted December 29, 2011 link

Bingo. Water temp before you begin applying it to the coffee is the easiest way to have a uniform starting point, but we all know (well, all of us who have checked) that as soon as you but that 200F water on 70F coffee, temp drops dramatically. Of course, that's not true of vac-pot or espresso...

--Josh
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly Baratza
Drip: Bunn AeroPress
Roaster: BehmorVariacs
Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 8:20pm

jpender Said:

I don't think my Aeropress coffee ever brews as high as 195F. When I've taken the trouble to stick a thermometer into the mixture it is always less than that, and dropping. I start with water straight off the boil. What do you guys do? Preheat everything?

Posted December 19, 2011 link

Hi jp...
Aero-press don't need to be brewed as high, and 195F is more than adequate. Despite Aero-press's personal claims that it can brew as low as 175F that is too low for me, but it sure is not as picky/finicky/fickle as French Press.

We have an automatic hot-pot which holds up to 4L of water at a preset temp, and we set it to 195F and it makes awesome coffee. My old kettle-till-she-boils didn't make it any better.

We also live at 6300 ft above sea level, and most days, water boils at 198-202F here. So for us, this is a great solution...

L a r r Y          J

<)))><
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012, 10:46am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Mar 20, 2012, 3:14pm

I went away on vacation last December before anyone responded and I forgot about this thread.

Recently I was trying to answer a question about the insulation on my Aeropress. Some time ago I'd made a neoprene "beer cozy" for my AP. This was partially to allow me to connect it directly to my hand grinder but also as a means of insulation. What I wanted to know was how effective the insulation actually was.

So I made a series of measurements with the AP: I preheated with boiling water, with hot tap water (50C), and I didn't preheat. These all resulted in slightly shifted temperature profiles with the warm water preheat about 2C above the no preheat case, and the boiling water preheat another 1.5C or so above that (roughly speaking).

Then I slipped on the cozy and used hot tap water to preheat the AP and there was no difference over preheating without the cozy. Although it is not particularly thick I had assumed the neoprene would add some insulative value. But apparently it is worthless for that.

This once again got me wondering: If I were able to control the temperature, through preheating or some other magic, would it make sense to aim for a certain temperature range and adjust other brew variables (grind and time) appropriately?

Ignoring the inherent thermal limitations of the AP, is there an optimal coffee slurry temperature range?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What is the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286117076874)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+