Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Hario Mini Mill Slim
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hario Mini Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
craftydeer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Moka Pot
Grinder: Hario Mini-Mill
Drip: Chemex, Aero-Press, Single...
Posted Fri Dec 2, 2011, 8:34am
Subject: Re: Hario Mini Mill Slim

Just a quick note on my findings while performing this mod (correctly).

I found I had to be very specific when wrapping the tape around, so that it started and stopped (was cut) in the same place to create a perfectly even distribution of added girth on all sides. For example, if I just arbitrarily wrapped the tape around (so, say, starting at point X on the shaft, wrap the tape around twice, and the tape cuts off or finishes 3mm past X, it created some uneven sway and pushed the center burr ever so slightly in a direction when assembled and grinding.

Using clear packing tape, here is the number of wraparounds of tape that I found worked perfectly for me (any more and the tape would bunch up while reassembling).

The shaft: 3 wraps on the bottom bushing, 2 wraps on the upper.

Outer burr: 3 wraps (around the lower part of it where it is a perfect cylinder, not where there are the 4 indentations)

Inner burr's plastic insert: 2 wraps around the part that is a cylinder, 4 wraps around the lower, rectangular-ish part

These mods made a very trued, accurate grinder.

Happy modding!

---
BREW BABY!
Chemex w/ Able Kone v3 & Aeropress w/ Able Fine Disk
 View Profile Link to this post
boblam

Posted Fri Dec 2, 2011, 4:45pm

Another link showing the modd.

Click Here (www.roaste.com)

The milk carton piece may last longer but I wonder where all the wear goes?  In our cup brewing with our coffee?  Same as the tape used in this process?
santunoo

Grinder: Anfim Milano and Hario Mini...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Nel-Drip
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2011, 9:07am

Good point, Bob! The tape I used wore away in 2 weeks. I didn't even realize that it most likely went into the grinds. I didn't taste a difference at the time, but I'm sure I now will, knowing that the plastic bits of tape are in there!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 5, 2011, 6:47am
Subject: ...

Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Dec 7, 2011, 7:38am

I noticed the same bend in the shaft of my mini mill. I contacted the seller and they weren't able to help. No response from Hario either. The bend in the end of the shaft where the inner burr attaches seems a bit more dramatic than the one you are talking about. No amount of modifying will help it. It's to the point where modified at 8 clicks, the burrs rub together for a second and then stop for each turn of the crank. It grinds off center, making decently consistent grinds impossible.

I have purchased another mini mill that should arrive sometime in the next 7 days. My hope is that the central shaft shows up without this same issue. If the issue remains, I will return it and find another hand grinder.

My first mini mill came about during my introduction to the coffee world, but ended up being broken... I'm an idiot. My second one is described above. I was purchasing an aeropress yesterday and decided to buy a new mini. I liked the original mini mill that I had, which is why I bought a new one when I accidentally busted the burrs and part of the plastic housing. My hope is to use the mini mill/aeropress as a travel coffee kit. I am on the road quite frequently and would love to utilize the portability of both tools.
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Dec 8, 2011, 10:28am

Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu Dec 8, 2011, 10:53am

Netphilosopher Said:

I now have the issue that Mattscottonline had on my 2nd Hario Mini Mill Slim.  Won't grind, it just cranks itself tight and jams.

Description Here: "..."

Posted December 8, 2011 link

That happened to me with my first mini slim as well. It all seemed to work well until that point. I was able to get them apart, but then broke the burrs on accident. That is why I ended up with my current one. I guess you get what you paid for - $35 hand grinder - not without its cons.
iHaveFeet

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 11:20pm

Hello,

I got a mini mill just in the past few days and this thread has been very helpful.  Huge thanks to you, Netphilosopher.  However, I've also noticed a bend in the shaft that causes the centre burr to turn off centre.  I returned the first one I got, but the second one has the same problem.  Given that other are describing the same thing, it sounds like it might be a weakness in the build/design.  It looks as though the tip with the treads bends at a very slight angle, right where the threads begin.  I've virtually eliminated any wobble by doing the mods you've described and while that improved the performance, but there is still some inconsistency in the grind and a fair bit of dust.

When you said 'It's back "on center" and operating better than ever' it sounds as though you were able to fix the problem?  If so, how did you do it?

Thanks so much in advance!

Brendan
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 6:59am

iHaveFeet

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:37am

Thanks for the speedy response!

Just want to make sure I'm envisioning this correctly.  Do you mean you stuck the shaft in a vice so that only the threads were sticking out, and then tapped the threads with a hammer or something to straighten them?  And, you would use the nut as a guide to tell if it's straight (when the nut is laying flat against the vice)?

I live in an apartment and so don't have a vice or any tool kit to speak of, but I'm sure I could find a friend with one I could use.

Thanks again!

Brendan
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hario Mini Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255840063095)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+