Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Issues with technivorm sprayer
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Issues with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dekerivers

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 10:34am
Subject: Issues with technivorm sprayer

I have the model with the 9 hole water sprayer but i notice lately it only sprays out of all 9 holes once at the beginning of the brew cycle. I know its not clogged or anything as I onlly use filtered water and run cleancaf in the machine once a month. Anyone else run into this? seems the grounds are not being saturated properly now
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 8:07am
Subject: Re: Issues with technivorm sprayer

I don't think the Technivorm spray arm is one of their best bits of design. Seem to recall it was a fairly late mod to the domestic machines.  Always seems that it would benefit from being about 1 or 2 cm longer. On mine most of the water comes out of the holes nearest the tank - I say most - not all. If they made it a bit longer, or the holes closest to the tank a bit smaller it might do a better job of evening out the spread.

I sometimes just give the technivorm filter a quick stir after a minute or so, but if I don't, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the final brew.

There are separate threads running on here about the "Bonavita" branded machine now becoming available in N.America.  I would agree with the comments made about that, in particular that the water dispersion is a whole lot better - very effective even wetting across the filter..

Have you descaled the machine ? Have only ever used puly-caf and cafiza (*), so don't know whether cleancaf is a descaler or not. Even with filtered water, if it's hard to start with, depending on how effective the filter is  you might have a scale build up inside the heater pipe which is restricting the amount of water pushed up the tube with each "pulse".

Edit (*) which aren't descalers
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Dec 13, 2011, 9:24am

+1.  Make it longer so the holes are centered over the basket.  Make it out of plastic so it isn't a heat sink and the water stays hot.

But since to me the big advantage of the TV is the ability to start with the basket drip turned off and stir when it gets partially filled I'm not that upset.  It's not really an automatic brewer so standing there when it starts up and giving it a stir isn't a hardship.  I keep a chopstick next to it for just that purpose.
Roy
Eiron
Eiron
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2012, 1:23pm

rmongiovi Said:

...  Make it out of plastic so it isn't a heat sink and the water stays hot. ...

Posted December 13, 2011 link

Roy,

I actually made an insulative sleeve for my KBTS's sprayer arm, but y'know what? It made no measureable difference in the brewing temperature. That told me it's really only the initial brew water that loses its heat to the arm. Once the metal of the arm is heated, the water that follows is flowing thru a pre-heated channel & loses no additional (measureable) heat.

Also, I felt it detracted from the appearance so much that it wasn't worth keeping on the machine. :-)

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jan 6, 2012, 3:52pm

One thing, the basket adjustment, your grounds and adjusment may make or brake your saturation. My basket fiills to 1/2 inch of the top of basket, so I know I'm getting full saturation of grounds, my trick, 32 oz or less I use the small setting, max water, larger setting. If your grounds are just a pile in the basket, your grounds are too coarse and could me finer, or your flow is too fast. My grounds line the basket evenly all the way around and no lump in the center.
tomd

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 7:15pm

i've taken to running an extra cup through before i brew in order to pre-heat the spray arm.....and come to think of it,  that initial cup also flushes out whatever water is internally in there from the last cycle....

but to the original question, i agree the spray arm isn't the greatest.  Maybe you can try a shim under one side, just enough to help the water flow through the length of the spray arm....i'll check it out on my own in the a.m.  But I can't see how any configuration of the setup will ever leapfrog the need to assist the saturation (close the filter for a bit, then take the cap off the filter holder and stir the wet grinds).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Issues with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216502904892)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+