Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Broken Hario Mini Mill?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Broken Hario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mattscottoline

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 9, 2011, 2:45pm
Subject: Broken Hario Mini Mill?

Hey guys,

I just signed up here, though I've been reading for a while as I got deeper and deeper into my coffee brewing mania.  I did have a question though.

I have been using a Hario Mini Mill for all of my home grinding (using it for a v60 02) for the past year or so.  

This morning, while I was grinding, I felt the grinder kind of lock up, and it stopped working. I emptied the beans and attempted to loosen the burr, but instead the plastic nut just unscrewed right off, and the burr itself stayed tight. It seems immovable at this point.

Glancing down into the burrs, I can't make out any large object lodged inside or anything like that.  I just can't even get the thing to come apart like it normally would had I removed the nut.  

Any ideas? I've googled extensively and found no mentions of anything like this (or of these really breaking to begin with).

Thanks so much.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011, 3:57am
Subject: ...

mattscottoline

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011, 6:24am
Subject: Re: Broken Hario Mini Mill?

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a shot.

I reversed cranked for a bit yesterday, but not upside down.

Basically the wingnut you usually use to adjust the grind just comes off, and the burrs don't react. However, they do move when I spin the handle like I do normally when grinding.  They just will not open or close anymore, and when I put beans in, nothing grinds.

What an odd problem. It's also a bummer because this is my only home grinder, so right now I am coffee-less. Which obviously is a terrible thing.
mattscottoline

Posted Mon Oct 10, 2011, 6:50pm

So I reverse cranked to no avail.

Any last suggestions? Is this thing busted for good?

Very sad day for me.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011, 4:27am

mattscottoline

Posted Tue Oct 11, 2011, 6:55am

Okay, so upon your advice, I used the "pin" method, and I managed to loosen the inner burrs, and take the grinder apart. There was no visible debris really, but I gave it a cleaning, and put it back together.  I reattached it with the wingnut, and it seemed okay.

The only strange thing I noticed, however, was that it no longer "clicked" when tightening/loosening the burrs.  I assumed I must have just messed something up while I was hitting it to loosen it before.

But when I just tried to grind a few beans as a test run, it has the same problem again.  I believe what is happening is that turning the crank to grind the beans is just tightening the burrs.  So as soon as I begin to grind, the burrs just tighten and seal together.  Does that sound possible?

I could take pictures if you'd like, but I'm not sure what to focus on.  

Any advice or ideas after hearing this? I am positive this tightening has been the problem all along, I just didn't have the perspective on it in the beginning to identify this.

Thanks again.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 4:05am

mattscottoline

Posted Sat Oct 15, 2011, 7:02am

I was having a hard time even getting it opened again.

I think I am about ready to just give up on the thing. I've been having to use an old electric blade grinder in the meantime, which is obviously not so great.

I am not sure what my next grinder will be.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

I'm not opposed to another hand grinder, but I would like something where I can do a bit more at once.  Maybe the larger Hario model?
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011, 6:44am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Oct 19, 2011, 12:35pm

Netphilosopher Said:

The one I used didn't have a "lid", so there was a bit of tossed broken beans out the top.  Not a major issue, but it didn't look like it had a lid like the Hario Mini Mill.

Posted October 19, 2011 link

I have the Kyocera CM-50 which appears to be identical to the Hario Skerton. Mine doesn't have a lid either so I made one out of a thin piece of cardboard with a slit so I could remove it when cleaning the grinder without having to take off the grinder handle. The lid is sized to "float" so I can pull up one side to add beans. It's a little cheesy but it works.

jpender: kyocera_lid.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Broken Hario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242521047592)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+