Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Storing Bulk Coffee at Outdoor Festival
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Storing Bulk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nagashade
nagashade
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Proteo Barista
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 8:43pm
Subject: Storing Bulk Coffee at Outdoor Festival

Late last week I was asked (begged) if I would mind selling my coffee both by the cup and by whole bean at a community music festival on Sept. 3rd that runs from 11 am - 11:30 pm.  This is the first time I've ever done this and I cannot pass up the opportunity.  Yet, with the short notice and being the first time doing something like this, it is becoming a logistics nightmare.  Normal attendance for this festival is over 1,000 people.  

As my title implies, one of these logistic nightmares is trying to find the best way to store the coffee (without spending hundreds of dollars).  I don't want to use mason jars or my coffee bags because of waste and convenience factors.  I plan to probably roast a bulk supply of several coffees on 8/30 or 9/1 using my RK Drum roaster.  From this coffee I will be mainly drip brewing into airpots, along with some weighing/bagging to order (with what I can spare though; will mostly be doing custom order).  So with this in mind, I've been trying to consider the best options for storage that will not impart off flavors (certain plastics or metals) or subject the coffee to heat, light, oxygen, or moisture.  Of these, the heat, light, and moisture I believe I can easily avoid.  Therefore, the off flavors and oxygen I foresee as my greatest concerns.  For instance, I'm afraid that the coffee might take on an off flavor if I store it in buckets, tupperware, or large plastic bags.  Any advice for this dilemma or any others you foresee would be extremely appreciated.

A fellow coffee geek,

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:15am
Subject: Re: Storing Bulk Coffee at Outdoor Festival

Aren't the hoppers of most grinders made of plastic?  I wouldn't think that a large food-grade plastic bucket would impart noticeable off flavors, but if your concerned about it you could use the large half-gallon glass canning jars.  Those are what I use for storing my greens and they're pretty durable.  I don't really think that plastic would be a problem, though.

How many pounds of roasted coffee are you planning on taking?

p.s. congrats, good luck, and have fun at the festival.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nagashade
nagashade
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Proteo Barista
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011, 2:03pm

Duh...didn't really think about the plastic hopper.  If I find a food grade plastic bucket...that might work.  I'm planning to be on the safe side with 40 lbs roasted & then start to taking orders for bagged coffee if I run low.  The roasted amount is being kept low,since obviously I don't want to waste a bunch of coffee (however, a friend of mine has an old fashion general store & is willing to sell any extra)

Also found out that I will be setting up next to the beer stand, so I guess I will be the cure for the hangovers. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Aug 23, 2011, 2:22pm

I wouldn't get too uptight about storage.  If it is a community music festival like any other community has, about half if not more of the people will be under the influence of either alcohol or other drugs and couldn't care less about how the coffee was stored/prepared.  99.5% of the remainder probably think that either Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks is the best around and anything you do won't impress them.  

The last remaining will be true coffee aficionados (again about 0.5% of the crowd).  Now if you want to kill yourself and pull all your hair out just for them then you will be spending $$$ on special storage equipment.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just being realistic here.  

FYI:  Just serve your coffee quick and provide plenty of milk, cream, and sugar, and keep the place clean and everyone will love 'ya.  Not doing that and people will bitch; crowds don't care about anything else.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Aug 24, 2011, 8:20am

The roasters I go to, use food safe plastic buckets. For the short time you will be there, I don't think you will notice any issues with storage, with nearly any method as long as it is food safe.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Storing Bulk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211076974869)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+