Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Hario Mini Mill Slim
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hario Mini Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
Author Messages
pioneer478

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Technivorm KBT741, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010, 1:08pm
Subject: Hario Mini Mill Slim

For those who own a Hario Mini Mill Slim grinder - what is your preferred grind setting (ex- number of counter-clockwise "clicks" from the fully closed position) for drip, moka pot, and Aeropress?
 View Profile Link to this post
rwj

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2011, 5:02pm
Subject: Re: Hario Mini Mill Slim

I'm eager to know this too. There's only one setting on the mini mill that is friendly with my espresso machine and every time I change the burr diameter to make coarse grinds for french press, it takes me THREE attempts to get the burr setting back to where it originally was. The number of "clicks" has proven unreliable to me because the residual grounds between the burrs prevent you from getting an accurate sense of what "the end" or "the beginning" of the clicks are.

This wouldn't be a problem with an electric grinder, but the hand-crank time investment + effort + coffee wasted makes me just want to give up and use the mini mill as an espresso-only grinder.

BUT, to answer your question, I use six clicks from what I consider the "fully closed" position for espresso. Five clicks from the end makes a hefty ristretto.
wellespresso
wellespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto (2003), Silvia V1...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Bodum...
Drip: Hario V60 Ceramic Drip Cone
Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011, 1:39pm

I recently purchased a Hario Ceramic Slim, not sure it's the same thing.

I've only just entered the world of espresso so I haven't used this guy for espresso yet; I leave this gadget at work to make French pressed coffee only, and I'm right now at 10 clicks.

I'm curious as to how others are using it as well.

Well Espresso Blog (in Chinese)
http://wellespresso.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2011, 4:39pm

I just ordered one of these also but I haven't found much info about them on here. Tom from sweet maria's stated in his description that it is basically the same as the skerton only smaller. He also goes on to say this grinder is stepless unlike the skerton I plan on using it for espresso so thats a plus for me. Can anyone comment on how many grams of ground coffee it will hold.
boblam

Posted Thu Apr 7, 2011, 3:41am

More info here.

http://prima-coffee.com/content/hario-skerton-vs-mini-mill

To me, itís close but not exactly the same.  The spring on the minimall gives it a bit of more consistent grind size than the skerton.  The ergonomic issue makes the smaller minimill OK for people with small build though and the opposite is on the skerton.

For longer term usage, my experience with minimall was very good by the first two months as the grind size was quite consistent I had much less sludge in my cup of French press .  

Nevertheless, it started spinning off center in a gyrating manner lately so more sludge in the cup.  The reason may be that I pushed down the spin handle too hard during the spinning, making that handle crooked/slanted a bit.  If I donít do that, the spin handle will came off quite often while grinding.  Maybe I have a lemon but the resulting cup remained acceptable, not as great as before.  While this is a weak point, the price point makes it easier to replace one every now and then, ie this is not a built to last kind of thing.

One good thing is I can wash it with soap and water due to its ceramic burr.  So, itís quite handy to try all those dark roasted coffee with lots of oil, saving your electric grinder for those with drier surface as itís more difficult/expensive to clean.
130psi
130psi
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brazata Virtuoso Preciso;...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2011, 6:46pm

I used 8 in a Brikka and it worked well.

-Brett

Making espresso is not rocket science. Rockets fail less often.
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 11:39am
Subject: ...

cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 6:15pm

I have a skerton that I love using. I'm considering getting a second or the mini because changing settings is a pain, as already mentioned. Having the one for press and the other for pourover makes more sense to me.

Good luck

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
austin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Apr 29, 2011, 8:25pm

i have both the mini mill and skerton.  the mini mill produces less fines at a coarse grind than the skerton.  my pour overs taste a lot better from the mini mill at comparable grind sizes. i didn't expect a major difference in the two but mini mill is way better in my opinion design wise.

ultimately, both kind of suck though at anything coarse.
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon May 9, 2011, 5:05am
Subject: ...

showing page 1 of 8 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hario Mini Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254152059555)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+