Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Grinding Pebbles, Baratza Maestro Plus
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Grinding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 7:38am
Subject: Grinding Pebbles, Baratza Maestro Plus

Disaster has struck:

There was a pebble in my beans.  The burrs seized up and the motor made a high-pitched whine.  That means ...I stripped the gear.

I have contacted Baratza service and I'm sure I will get a replacement gear in the mail.  I have their 6-page instruction on how to dissemble the grinder and install the new gear.

Has anyone else done this?  Is it hard?  Any tips to suggest?

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Grinding Pebbles, Baratza Maestro Plus

Is the rock still stuck in the burrs?  On the Maestro I had jam with a rock, the transmission was saved by a 'slip clutch' (spring loaded metal plate with bearing 'grips')  on the final burr drive shaft.  After much difficulty in removing the rock (....without my morning coffee...) amazed that the grinder still worked.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 9:12am

Frost Said:

Is the rock still stuck in the burrs?  On the Maestro I had jam with a rock, the transmission was saved by a 'slip clutch' (spring loaded metal plate with bearing 'grips')  on the final burr drive shaft.  After much difficulty in removing the rock (....without my morning coffee...) amazed that the grinder still worked.

Posted May 17, 2010 link

Frost, I cleared the jam, did a careful cleaning, put it all back together, and ran it without coffee.  The burr turned but there was a funny ticking noise, twice a second.  Hmmm.  I put in some beans and tried again and the burrs locked up and the motor ran free (high pitched sound).

The replacement gear is plastic, perhaps 1.5" in diameter.  I assume it engages with a brass or steel worm gear.  Probably I broke a tooth on the plastic gear.

The instruction sheet from Baratza does not show a clutch.

They responded in an hour or two.  They will send me change-parts for $10 (PayPal).  It might (or might not) include a new shaft.  Their instruction covers shaft replacemant too, but I'm not sure why.

When I have it apart I will look for a clutch.

Jerry
Frost
Frost

Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 9:40am

When you open the gearbox, it is fairly easy to service. There are several gears in the reduction. The spring loaded 'clutch plate' is on the burr shaft. I assume it is there to save gears in a jam.. Don't disassemble  if you don't have to; It's a bit fiddly to get back together with the small bearings and springs. Sounds like it didn't save the gear on that jam. I have cleaned and greased gears  on several Baratza's over the years, but never had to replace them. Baratza has always been excellent in product support & shipping parts.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 10:11am

Frost, there is always the possibility that the gears are intact and the clutch is broken (not reengaging).

Regarding the burr shaft, there must be a lot of torque being applied, to grind up the beans.  Maybe there is enough to bend the shaft ...?!

Anyway, the change-parts were shipped (3 hours after their office opened).  So far it has cost me $10.  Lets see how things develop.

Jerry
Frost
Frost

Posted Mon May 17, 2010, 1:30pm

Your symptoms sound like a gear is stripped.  I'm sure Baratza is familiar with what gear(s) fail when the grinder jams on a rock and will get you the right part(s).
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 1:14pm

Update:

In anticipation of getting repair parts from Baratza, mainly to know if I had the right tools ...?!  I took the Maestro Pro apart, following the instructions closely.

It was fairly straightforward.  The instructions are kind of confusing but it all came clear as it came apart.

Tools were a screwdriver with slotted and phillips-head bits.  Maybe later, a hammer to help pound out the shaft from the gear.  I won't do that until the new gear arrives.

Frost, you talked about lubing a gear-train.  I have no gear train.  I have a beefy plastic 'wheel' (spur gear) and a worm machined into the end of the steel motor shaft.  I don't see a clutch anywhere.

But I have never seen such a worm-gear in my life ...!!  The teeth are almost parallel to the shaft, maybe 1/4 turn per revolution.  It looks all the world like an end-mill cutter (with a twist).  It can obviously apply huge torque to the grinder and if it jams up maybe it's enough to bend the shaft.  In my case, it acted like a milling cutter and 'milled' 2 or 3 of the plastic teeth on the wheel creating lots of scarf and dust.

That's not to say I think it's a bad speed-reducer.  It's just uncommon.

Stay tuned.

Jerry
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue May 18, 2010, 4:38pm

JKalpin Said:

I have no gear train.  I have a beefy plastic 'wheel' (spur gear) and a worm machined into the end of the steel motor shaft.  I don't see a clutch anywhere.

Posted May 18, 2010 link

Ok, they must have changed the design at some point from the 8+ year old models I have opened up...
The current one sounds more like the gear train in the Trespade grinders.
Sorry for the mis-information. The older ones had an extra set of gears on an 'idle shaft' to reduce RPM.
---motor turns gears on idle shaft, which then turns the gear on burr shaft.....
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Sun May 30, 2010, 4:16am

Now, a couple of weeks later, the change-parts arrived from Baratza.

They consisted of:
  1.  A new gear, but the replacement is metal (my guess, aluminum), not plastic.
  2.  A new burr shaft.
  3.  A couple of washers.

At first I thought the replacement shaft was in case I had bent the original, during the jam-up.  Not so.

That shaft has the gear on one end and the inner burr on the other end.  The gear is a force-fit on the shaft and you have to hammer it out.  But it is impossible to hammer on the threaded end without distorting the threads.  And it is a metric (I think) left-hand thread.  So you gotta replace the shaft.  To do that you have to unscrew the burr from the other end, for which you need vise-grips and a soft rag to get it off without damage.  A new shaft is essential to the fix.

And, uhhh ...The new metal gear is also a force-fit, so you gotta hammer it on.  To keep from damaging the thread I used used a 1/2" copper coupling and that worked fine.  But then there is the washers.  You need to read the instructions carefully, because if you get the washers wrong you must hammer it all apart and probably need another new shaft.

Anyway, the fix went well, the grinder is back to normal.

I admire the good customer support from Baratza and that every part inside the grinder can be replaced at home.

One last thing:  The beefy DC motor is supposed to be 240 watts.  I put the Kill-A-Watt meter on it during initial testing and the most I could get was 50 Watts or 90 VA.  So I have power-to-spare.

Jerry
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Jun 4, 2010, 9:22pm

Man, I wonder why they didn't just implement protection with a shear pin.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Grinding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304961919785)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+