Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Identity of this coffee machine?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Identity of this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DrCase

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon May 10, 2010, 1:36pm
Subject: Identity of this coffee machine?

Hi folks, I hope this is in the right forum.  I have recently come into possession of a very nice industrial style coffee machine, which I believe used to live in a small diner nearby.  This machine is old - earlier than 1960 (since that's when Proctor and Silex merged) and appears to be some sort of gravity system, I guess.  I plugged it in and both the top and bottom warmers work, yet when water is poured inside nothing happens, and the ready light on the front never lights up.  The water is inside somewhere, I guess.  I'm wondering if there is something else I need to do, or if it is clogged somewhere inside.  I'll attach some pictures below that I took of it.

Any help would be appreciated on how this is supposed to work!

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6913/photo3ce.jpg
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/189/photo2di.jpg
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7350/phototyc.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Identity of this coffee machine?

DrCase Said:

Hi folks, I hope this is in the right forum.  I have recently come into possession of a very nice industrial style coffee machine, which I believe used to live in a small diner nearby.  This machine is old - earlier than 1960 (since that's when Proctor and Silex merged) and appears to be some sort of gravity system, I guess.  I plugged it in and both the top and bottom warmers work, yet when water is poured inside nothing happens, and the ready light on the front never lights up.  The water is inside somewhere, I guess.  I'm wondering if there is something else I need to do, or if it is clogged somewhere inside.  I'll attach some pictures below that I took of it.

Posted May 10, 2010 link

Do you have any pictures of the back of the machine?  Looks like a restaurant coffee maker.  Any signs of where a water line would plumb in?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 12:12pm

It appears to be a standard commercial pourover design. You have an open boiler that typically holds about 3 pots of water at ~200f controlled by a bimetal thermostat. When you pour water in, it just pushes the heated water out thru a tube that connects to the shower head. First I would remove the shower head which normally unscrews allowing you to clean. Try running some water thru with the head removed. If the head isn't stopped up it will be the tube from the boiler plugged. Citric acid (sour salt) will dissolve the mineral deposits. Pipe cleaners help to scrub out the parts that are difficult to get to.

Don't turn the unit on until you get the water flowing which will happen if nothing is clogged, even with the power off. Applying power to the heating element with no water in the boiler can burn it out in a very short amount of time.

Dan Brewer
Neill78

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vev Vigano stovetop Moka
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Drip: $1.50 dripper
Roaster: Transcendcoffee.com
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 10:44pm

Some of these commercial makers have a hot-water reservoir. I borrowed my dad's Bunn for a conference one weekend and had the same problem... poured the water in but nothing came out.

The trick was to pour two pots of water in. The water in the reservoir will enter the boiler and the coffee will brew. The remaining water gets pre-heated but doesn't enter the boiler until you pour another pot of cold water in.

That's why these commercial units appear to start brewing instantaneously-- the water is preheated.
nemoorellc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Scale: Uber 6kg
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Bunn CW15-TC
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 6:15pm

This is an old Bloomfield commerical pourover unit.  I assume the shiny rectangular cover on the top lifts off to reveal an opening?

Per the earlier posts, don't plug the unit into the wall until you've filled the internal water reservoir.  This will take roughly 3 carafes of water.  When water starts pouring
out the spray nozzle and into the filter basket, you're ready.

The two switches on the front are to turn on/off the carafe burners independently.  As soon as you plug in the unit and flip the switch on the back of the unit, the internal
boiler will come on and start heating the water.  When it reaches 200F, the "Ready" light will light, assuming it isn't burned out.  Normally, you'll hear a "click" when the unit is ready and the boiler will quiet down (because it turn off the heat).

To use it, you put your coffee grinds in a basket-style filter (Bunn sells many types of these) and slide the brew basket into place above your coffee carafe.  Then you pour 1 carafes worth
of water into the opening at the top.  The gravity force of the water you just added will push the 200F water out of the reservoir and the brewing begins.  Use a separate fresh water container to pour the water into the top, because the hot water starts coming out immediately, you'll need to have your coffee carafe already in place.

After the last drips of coffee come out of the brew basket, dump the paper filter and grounds.  You can leave the coffee maker plugged in and the back-power switch on at all times, so you always have hot water ready for brewing.  However, you'll want to turn off the brew basket power switches as soon as you're done with the coffee so they carafes don't burn on bottom.

Hope this helps.

Nathan
Moondog8985

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Hamilton Beach 40715
Drip: Bodum french press
Posted Tue Jun 22, 2010, 7:56pm

I do believe that this THIS is the machine you are looking for, it apears they are under they name of bloomfield now and not silex.
StarMFG

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 4, 2014, 9:45am

DrCase Said:

Posted May 10, 2010 link

Bloomfield acquired the commercial division of the Proctor-Silex Company in 1961, so I think you are correct in your assessment.
Nice find!
Curious to see if you still have this and if you restored it in any way?

www.bloomfieldworldwide.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Identity of this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229460000992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+