Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Vietnamese Coffee Beans anyone?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vietnamese...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
munkybeanz

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Nouvelli
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: none
Roaster: FZ-RR 700
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 9:21am
Subject: Vietnamese Coffee Beans anyone?

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone knew what kind of beans are used in Vietnamese drip coffee?
I had the most wonderful cups on and off in a few local Vietnamese Pho restaurants in Toronto, GTA.

It had a very, dark chocolatey taste and aroma...
There was NO bitterness even when I didn't mix in the condensed milk yet.

I've heard of Legendee beans and the use of chemicals / animals to break down the coffee's bitter / acidic attributes resulting in a crazy smooth and rich cup of joe?
But unfortunately they don't ship to Canada...These restaurants are using some type of bean...but natually they weren't very inclined to share with me what they use =D.  And I don't blame them...

So my main question is, can anyone shed some light into what kind beans are used generally in good(or authentic) vietnamese coffee?
Or is it the method of extration that makes it so?

Thanks thanks!
Cheers,
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Vietnamese Coffee Beans anyone?

munkybeanz Said:

So my main question is, can anyone shed some light into what kind beans are used generally in good(or authentic) vietnamese coffee?

Posted January 28, 2010 link

Vietnam is the world's second leading producer of green coffee CLICK THIS .

So to make authentic Vietnamese coffee I might suggest Vietnamese beans.  They are generally inexpensive and I am under the impression that mostly it is lower quality....that is why they roast dark and brew strong and mix with sweetened condensed milk

But my Vietnamese friends here use canned preground Cafe Bustello, Medallia D'Oro, or Cafe DuMonde for making Vietnamese-style coffee and they seem to like it alot.  All are generally available in supermarkets.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:32am

Excellent link Jon, thanks!, OT but boy., that's a great lookin' shot there that's being pulled on a La Marzocco Linea! {;-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:37am

CraigA Said:

....OT but boy., that's a great lookin' shot there that's being pulled on a La Marzocco Linea! {;-D

Posted January 28, 2010 link

Didja happen to notice who provided that photo to Wiki???

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:45am

WoW, no I didn't look down to see the credit. Right on Mark with his one of a kind one group La Marz Linea!! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
munkybeanz

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Nouvelli
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: none
Roaster: FZ-RR 700
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:24am

Drool @ shot

Thanks Jon!  Maybe I'll give Vietnamese Green beans a try, I'm a little hesitant for the pre-ground canned coffee...as I've had pretty bad experiences with them on the silvia...@.@

Just curious though, has anyone tried Legendee beans?  Or any type of beans of that sort?  (Some where they feed the beans to animals and process the "pooped out" beans?  OR  Use organic chemical baths to reproduce the effects?)  I'm wondering if they're any good compared to regular beans that haven't been eaten...or digested...=D
espressoaddict

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:34pm

A popular coffee used by my Vietnamese friend and seems like a household name in the local Asian supermarkets is one by Trug Nguyen.

If you are seeking the traditional brewing device like the one they use in some of their restaurants, I found one at Cost Plus Imports awhile back.

You can look at this link for reference.
Cracklebox
Cracklebox

Espresso: La Graziella lever
Grinder: Vario, Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 3&5, press (hario,...
Drip: chemex, CCD, V60, bonmac
Roaster: Behmor, popper
Posted Fri Jan 29, 2010, 6:47pm

I've been curious about vietnamese coffee as well, but I haven't started working on it yet.  Actually, of my 7 brew methods I have at home, my 2 vietnamese drippers are the only thing I haven't used yet.  I bought them in SF for about $2.50 each.  My thought was to buy some of the packaged/canned vietnamese stuff and start from there, but then try to make a higher quality/fresh version.  

I recently bought some green robusta beans from sweet maria's.  Although they're not from vietnam, it seems likely that vietnamese coffee is primarily robusta so that's a place to start.  I'll try some arabica as well.

The other component that I don't think has been mentioned is chicory.  JonR10 mentioned "Cafe DuMonde" which is a New Orleans coffee with chicory (not sure about the other brands).  I also bought chicory from SM's so I'll see what I can do with that.  Even though I'm pretty religious about coffee freshness, I want to try the packaged stuff as a point of reference.

Are there any other home roasters here who have attempted vietnamese coffee?  It doesn't seem like what most specialty coffee oriented people would be interested in, but I'm curious to see what I can do with it.  I might as well let my love for vietnamese food join forces with my coffee pursuits.

Bun thit nuong cha gio... drooooool...

I'm not sure about your question regarding gastrointestinal-processed coffee for vietnamese coffee.  As far as I know, in those cases (brazilian yacu bird, kopi luwak) the coffee is marketed as some sort of delicacy and is usually highly priced, so I doubt it would be something you find in a typical vietnamese coffee.
jtrops

Espresso: Gaggia Factory
Grinder: Zass Turkish/Kitchenaid pro...
Drip: Vietnamese pour over
Roaster: Heat Gun/DB
Posted Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:39am

Cracklebox Said:

Are there any other home roasters here who have attempted vietnamese coffee?  It doesn't seem like what most specialty coffee oriented people would be interested in, but I'm curious to see what I can do with it.  I might as well let my love for vietnamese food join forces with my coffee pursuits.

Posted January 29, 2010 link

I roast for Turkish, and Espresso, but for Ca phe sua da I use Cafe Du Monde.  I lived in St. Louis for a while and there is a big Vietnamese community.  The restaurants all serve traditional iced coffee with the pour over drippers, and the sweetened condensed milk.  The coffee is Cafe Du Monde.  Interestingly, it tastes great even though it's pre-ground canned coffee.

Don't use the "French Market" brand coffee that a lot of super markets sell.  It is a real let down.
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun Feb 7, 2010, 9:04am

In the GTA, there are Vietnamese grocery stores just about everywhere. They generally carry Vietnamese y Thai coffees.....though none of it gourmet.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Vietnamese...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294100046158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+