Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What's really inside those instant starbucks coffee packs.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What's really...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009, 4:28pm
Subject: Re: What's really inside those instant starbucks coffee packs.

Leonard,
Well, can't say much as all is confidential. That's the way it is. Realised that I mistyped about the 10% thing. What I meant to say is that less than 10% of R&D work sees the shelf.

Philip,
Very funny, but that real shit stuff is hard to make a profit on, not to mention sourcing issues.
 View Profile Link to this post
franky

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer/S Maestro+/Zass
Drip: Clarity
Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009, 4:32pm

What about compared to Tasters Choice?  I haven't had it in a while, but I seem to remember it being the best of the instants.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Oct 25, 2009, 5:35pm

franky Said:

What about compared to Tasters Choice?  I haven't had it in a while, but I seem to remember it being the best of the instants.

Posted October 25, 2009 link

Personally I thought the VIA was the best instant I ever had.  If I had not known any better, tastewise I would have sworn it was brewed.  The sediment on the bottom is very fine, just a touch, about 1/4 of what you would find in a typical french press.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
solmaya

Grinder: 2.5 pounds per minute
Vac Pot: italian
Drip: bodum
Roaster: 10kilo brazilian... 10 pound...
Posted Tue Oct 27, 2009, 7:20am

Hello,  instant 'coffee' was invented in Guatemala... a LOT of years ago...  in a roastery.. they discovered the dust in the exaust pipes of the chimney......
So.. ' instant' coffee comes from by-product or residues from the coffee bean process.   if im not wrong can be made by super hig temperatures... and super low temperatures to cristallize this particles.  And SOME chemicals to make it soluble.   remenber that you stract from coffee thats is grinded.... that thing is NOT.. soluble.
i will drink that 'thing' just in top of the Agua volcano at 3,700 meters at 0 celcius.   at 3 am.  IF i dont have my french press... !
THAT product is a good solution for people that dont love Coffee.  and just want a sip..!
cheers..
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Oct 30, 2009, 4:32pm

I tried the colombian "VIA" on wednesday while in Albany, at the Crossgates Mall.

It wasn't terrible, but it was far from good.  However, it WAS better then the cup of the Verona's Cafe they were serving as drip.  which doesnt say much for Starbucks.

If I didnt have a travel kit, I would probably grab a couple of the VIA packets for a road trip.  Its easily instant coffee, but with a little H&H, its not bad when you're on the road.

These new coffees which starbucks is selling... The Brownish/Tanish bags of Single Origins... I grabbed some of the Yemen Sunani the day my local store got some, and it was still fresh.  It was pretty good.  Not to the level of the Yemens from SM's, but for starbucks, it was great.  If you get it the day the stores get the first shipment of one of these "new" coffees, you might get lucky and itll be fresh.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 1, 2009, 9:00am

Jmanespresso Said:

If you get it the day the stores get the first shipment of one of these "new" coffees, you might get lucky and itll be fresh.

Posted October 30, 2009 link

Why would you risk it?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bott

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Nov 7, 2009, 12:26pm

franky Said:

Posted October 25, 2009 link

I've had all the regular grocery store instants through the years including liquid concentrates, instant crystals, coffee bags and most recently the Via Challenge at Starbucks.  Though I'm sure it was not the intended result of the Via Challenge, the Via was much better in my opinion than their drip coffee.  Maybe it was just a bad drip coffee day for the location.  The Tasters Choice is ok but has it's own unique strange instant qualities like all the others.  They're each a beverage all it's own with only vague similarities to good drip coffee.
Alee601
Alee601

Vac Pot: Bodum, Aeorpress
Posted Mon Nov 16, 2009, 3:05pm

I use the VIA at work,and I was checking out a Starbucks blog, where apparently there are people having some problems with indigestion/gas with the VIA. (Fortunately, I'm not one of them)  When I make up the VIA, to avoid the little bit of sediment in the bottom, I would pour in my packet, add a little bit of hot water, cap my cup and shake. When I unscrewed the cup, coffee exploded out..which suggests to me that something else is in there....(although I'm certainly not a chemist).

As far as the complaining about the stuff, no, it's not as good as freshly roasted coffee, but i think a lot of the complaining is just because it comes from Starbucks...I've noticed differences in taste with the VIA due to the water I'm using, the temperature of that water, and the amount of water to coffee-but it's a lot better than the stuff we have at work!
kapeh25

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:30am

I can't wait to taste what is inside of Starbucks coffee packs.  It's been a half year since I last visit Starbucks.

www.hevlacoffeeco.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ghostrider

Espresso: 1 Black
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: YES!
Drip: on occassion
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Fri Jan 1, 2010, 8:59am

Alee601 Said:

When I make up the VIA, to avoid the little bit of sediment in the bottom, I would pour in my packet, add a little bit of hot water, cap my cup and shake. When I unscrewed the cup, coffee exploded out..which suggests to me that something else is in there....(although I'm certainly not a chemist).

Posted November 16, 2009 link

The resulting "explosion" is not an issue of what chemicals might be involved, it's a matter of heat exchange. When you add the hot water, cap the cup and shake, you are in essence heating the remaining air in the cup. When air is heated, it expands, creating a higher pressure inside the cup. When you removed the lid, that higher pressure equalized resulting in the coffee explosion.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What's really...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294492006302)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+