Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Iced coffee shelf life?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Iced coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
krisdb

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:41am
Subject: Iced coffee shelf life?

I want to make a relatively big batch of iced coffee and store it in the fridge for a couple days (around 5-6 days).  Does anyone know what the shelf life of refrigerated brewed coffee is?  Is this a bad idea?  I'm sick of paying $2.00+ for an iced coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 16, 2009, 8:09am
Subject: Re: Iced coffee shelf life?

Hey Kris,

I don't really like the taste of coffee that's been sitting around in the fridge for any length of time but I don't know what its "shelf life" is.  I'm sure it won't kill you if it's 5 or 6 days old so the hurdle is taste.  

Another option (the one I prefer) is cold brewing your coffee for iced coffees.  Check out this link for a cheap and easy way to make your own cold brewer: http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/coldhome/ .  I bought 4 of those cups for $1 at a dollar store and all the other supplies were around my house.  For $1 this works really well and the coffee is supposed to be good for two weeks.  

I just started doing this and I find the flavors to be a bit muted and dulled when mixed with hot water (some people like doing this because hot coffee bothers their stomach) but for iced coffees it's fine.

Hope this helps,
p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Appleanche

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Le'Lit PL53
Posted Sat Jun 20, 2009, 12:34pm
Subject: Re: Iced coffee shelf life?

If you have an espresso machine, the best option might be Iced Americanos...

Not sure if it's the same deal, but it's certainly cheap enough to try, grab an Aeropress for $25 on Amazon and then try to do the "espresso" in the same way as a regular Americano.

*It's also best to put some room temp water in first, then espresso/coffee, then ice.. much smoother flavor then pouring it over ice.

E- Another option I've done is put cold water in the french press with the coffee and leave it overnight and it was very smooth and nice, although a couple of days later it had that "days in fridge" taste.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Iced coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.181959867477)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+